News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago- Page 10

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#225CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 3:49am

I love that Bench Scene clip--I wish they'd just release the full General Foods 25th Anniversary R&H special (which I think it's from--which would mean 9 years after Carousel opened.)  ENough of it has been released as bonus footage on the DVDs, and of course copies of it are easy to find.

Anyway, yes I am sure Broadway is a possibility.  It just sounds a long way off--unless they buy off Houston Opera?  And I still say R&H will wanna have King and I run a good while (if it can) before opening Carousel as well.

Annetteiago
#226CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:27am

It great that the director can direct after TLM travesty 

EricMontreal22
#227CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 6:01am

Ashford didn't do TLM.  Regular opera director Francesca Zambello (who did last year's Show Boat,) did though, if that's your confusion?

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#228CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:40pm

It's been a few days now since we saw the beautiful Lyric production and I honestly can't get it out of my mind.  While watching I felt there were three very minor flaws in direction, but on reflection I think each of them actually moved the production to an even higher level (in one case literally).  I can't wait to see it again at the Lyric (as several people around us were already doing only days after the Opening), and would also love to see the same company perform it in a slightly more intimate setting (Broadway?) some day.  This is a production I think will stay with me for years, if not decades.  Bravo to all involved!!

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 04:40 PM

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#229CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:25pm

Anyone else have any more insight into the Broadway future of this? Now with reviews and all this buzz, maybe the creative team have seen it may be doable??

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#230CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:13pm

I wish I could see it again too! Maybe because of so many highlights--Steven, Jenn, Laura, Charlotte and Matthew and the lovely ballet dancer who played Louise! I heard the radio broadcast and had to see it, and I picked today's matinee, which had a million pre-teens on "arts day" or something and they love their cell phones, and they laugh at inappropriate times, and snicker at sex scenes...oh well. I would see it again for either reason.

I seriously think Steven Pasquale could be a Tony nominee for this if it went to Broadway. He was that good. Goosebumps...

smallvillefan16
#231CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:18pm

Steven has a show he is filming this summer. Unless they either a] replace him or b] wait until 2016... I now don't see this transferring. 

JustBe23
#232CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:29pm

I doubt it would open this summer even if he didn't. You need Hamilton buzz to pull off opening that long before the Tonys in today's climate, and a revival of Carousel, no matter how well it's received, just doesn't have that.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 08:29 PM

EricMontreal22
#233CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 8:47pm

...and plus Houston Opera contractually gets the production next...  (as has been mentioned.)  Sure they could be bought out, I guess?

JustBe23
#234CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:07pm

Well, Houston gets *a* production. None of this team is going over to help with that production, castwise - so Houston would just be getting the set and other base conceptual stuff. The team doesn't have to take this production to Broadway to take the show to Broadway.

And again - with the buzz this is getting, with the cast that they have and the director that they have, I can't imagine this was ever meant to begin and end as a month run in Illinois. And everyone involved would have had to have known that going in.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 09:07 PM

EricMontreal22
#235CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:18pm

No.  This is a CO-PRODUCtION.  It's not a case of an opera company buying the designs after the fact.  It's like what happened with Zambello's Porgy and Bess (but that one had Chicago, Houston and SF.)  They get the director too.  And you can bet your ass that they have it in the contract that no one else is allowed to use those designs, etc, until they do.  They helped pay for its creation.

JustBe23
#236CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:30pm

Okay, less aggression. That's my point. The Broadway production doesn't have to use those designs. I'd put down money that part of getting Carousel financed in an out-of-town at the Lyric was Rob Ashford agreeing to go to Houston and direct. I mean, why would he go to direct a co-production between two opera companies? I'm sure he has a lot of love for Carousel, but brother doesn't exactly need to pad his resume.

And if it comes to that - maybe they will buy out Houston. I dunno. I can't speak for them. There are just too many things happening for me to believe that this is just a regional thing.

Updated On: 4/14/15 at 09:30 PM

EricMontreal22
#237CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:35pm

He probably assumes he could do it quickly?  Francesca Zambello didn't exactly need to pad her resume by restaging her Show Boat for two other companies either, but that's what they paid for.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#238CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:41pm

At least at the San Francisco Opera, you only want to see co-productions, because those are the ones with the really great production values. Seems to be this way with Carousel. If it doesn't go to Broadway, I hope it goes to more opera houses... (hint hint San Francisco Opera)

JustBe23
#239CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:44pm

No idea. Again, I'm not in his head. Just suspecting based on context.

AwesomeDanny
#240CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:11pm

"Okay, less aggression. That's my point. The Broadway production doesn't have to use those designs. I'd put down money that part of getting Carousel financed in an out-of-town at the Lyric was Rob Ashford agreeing to go to Houston and direct. I mean, why would he go to direct a co-production between two opera companies? I'm sure he has a lot of love for Carousel, but brother doesn't exactly need to pad his resume.
And if it comes to that - maybe they will buy out Houston. I dunno. I can't speak for them. There are just too many things happening for me to believe that this is just a regional thing."

This was not planned as an out-of-town tryout. This is the Lyric's third annual Rodgers & Hammerstein production in a series of many. He was hired to direct this just as last year he directed Nathan Gunn in The Barber of Seville and Marc Bruni (director of Beautiful) was hired to direct The Sound of Music starring Billy Zane and Jenn Gambatese. It's not beneath Rob Ashford to direct at the Lyric Opera.

I've seen enough shows with rumored possibilities of Broadway transfers that I'll only believe it when I see it. I'm kind of sick of the "if people of this repute are in it then it must be aimed at Broadway" mentality. There are so many high-profile performers and directors who can feel satisfied doing a short and successful run outside of New York--there's more than just location.

That said, The Iceman Cometh moved after an almost three-year gap, so anything is possible.

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#241CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:13pm

Mr.&Mrs. Snow (Jenn and Matthew) were on "Chicago Tonight" live and the host did not ask about future venues (darn).Here's a video of them singing one of the songs from the show.

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2015/04/14/live-music-lyrics-carousel

I learned from the interview that the opera house is "acoustic" and normally there are no microphones on the singers, except for shows like this. Is this common knowledge? I never go to operas! 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#242CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:17pm

Operas and opera singers are never amplified

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

AwesomeDanny
#243CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:19pm

^Yeah, it's still the standard for opera houses not to use amplification.

Wilmingtom
#244CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:44pm

The deal is that Ashford will recreate his production for HGO, with all design elements but with some different actors.  As Eric said, it's a co-production.  Not hard to understand.

EricMontreal22
#245CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/14/15 at 11:44pm

Right.  Obviously it will be a quicker process for him, but I find it funny that someone would assume Houston co-funded the production, but they just get someone else trying to replicate his direction on some new actors (granted, yes, this is what happens with touring productions--most of the time--etc, but that's not a situation where someone funds it wanting the same first rate show.)  It seems like the production is built for theatre (not opera) leads, so it will be interesting to see who they do get.  I would assume that any of the leads who weren't booked into other things would try to go to Houston with it.

Operas are still not amplified, as Danny said, though in some of these massive houses they might have some mikes placed around the stage or whatever.  Though of course the original cast of Carousel also wasn't amplified it played a *much* smaller house.

AEA AGMA SM
#246CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/15/15 at 12:07am

Houston Grand Opera has already published the info on their website

Cast
Billy Bigelow - Duncan Rock
Julie Jordan - Andrea Carroll
Carrie Pipperidge - Lauren Snouffer
Enoch Snow - Norman Reinhardt
Nettie Fowler - Stephanie Blythe

Creative Team
Conductor - Richard Bado
Director/Choreographer - Rob Ashford
Set Designer - Paolo Ventura
Costume Designer - Catherine Zuber
Lighting Designer - Neil Austin
Houston Grand Opera Orchestra and Chorus
Richard Bado - Chorus Master

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#248CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:01pm

Steven Pasquale is a good looking dude…but good god. May have to travel to Houston.

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago

EricMontreal22
#249CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
Posted: 4/15/15 at 1:32pm

Yeah he's a fave at the opera "Barihunks" photo site. 

Not that I frequent such filthy sites...

Videos