News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

54 Below

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#154 Below
Posted: 3/13/13 at 11:46pm

My family and I are going to be in NYC at end of May and I was wondering if I could get opinion about 54 Below. Laura Benanti will be performing there and I am not familiar with her work. Already have tickets for "Newsies" and "Matilda" and will probably see what is "on the board" for the 3rd show.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#254 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 12:25am

Personally, I don't think its a "family" sort of place. Someone else might disagree though. I just find as a "night out with friends getting drinks" sort of place.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#254 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 1:23am

Depending on the age of your children I think it could be a fun night. Laura Benanti is an amazing performer and I'm sure her show will be a delight. I'd say if your kids are over 13 or 14 and are interested in seeing Laura, go for it. 54 Below is not the appropriate place to take children though. See another Broadway show instead

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#354 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 8:28am

My daughters are 24 and 22 but not big drinkers.Guess I will have to check and see what is the minimum "charge" for drinks and or food. We have been to "Joe's Pub" and ""BB KIngs" so I was wondring if it is like that or maybe a bit more "upscale". Thanks for your replies.

Serpentstoooth2
#454 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 10:31am

I'd recommend going to Broadway sessions, I was over from britain last week and went to it and it was the highlight of my trip. They had 4 leading ladies singing amazingly and also musical trivia and open mic, well worth checking out http://broadwaysessions.net/

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#554 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 10:39am

Oh, if they're 22 and 24, you should DEFINITELY go. And Laura Benanti is a fantastic choice, even if you're not familiar with her work. She sings all kinds of things and is actually SUPER funny in a cabaret setting. HIGHLY entertaining. It's definitely more upscale than either of the places you mentioned, if you get a dinner and a glass of wine, you'll reach the minimum no problem.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#654 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 10:58am

I <3 54 Below

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#754 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 11:04am

Go, especially with the kids at that age. The power of seeing a performer, especially of Laura Benanti's caliber, in such an intimate setting will be a great balance to the BIG shows you've got planned between Newsies and Matilda.

If you plan to go and have dinner (the food is pretty good), you will easily meet your food/beverage minimums. It's a $30/person minimum for her show.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#854 Below
Posted: 3/14/13 at 1:01pm

Awesome, thanks to everyone for their replies.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#954 Below
Posted: 3/19/13 at 11:57pm

I have decided to not go to 54 below for a while unless its someone I really want to see. went to 3 shows at 54 below with 3 of Broadways Ladies.

Two out of three of their acts seemed very quickly thrown together.

They seemed to be lacking direction theme or a true outlook.
Only one out of three was worth the price of admission and that was Linda Lavin as she was the only one who seemed to be happy doing the cabaret thing and took some time and thought into her act.

I won't put down or even mention the other two ladies as their Broadway work is top rate .......but sadly their cabaret work is not.

I wish some of these people would take more time and care putting their cabaret acts together.

Updated On: 3/20/13 at 11:57 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1054 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:11am

Yeah I've seen some messes at 54 Below, but that's probably true of any cabaret space. I'm sure someone of her caliber will have a first-rate show. I've never been let down by the "big" Broadway leads.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#1154 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:18am

54 Below is one of the most magical of places New York has seen in decades.

I guarantee that seeing Laura Benanti there with your two twenty-something daughters will be the highlight of your trip.

I guarantee that.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#1254 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 1:03am

All three were big Broadway leads. Including Ms Lavin.
I do think if you've never been to 54 Below it is definitely a must see.
I'm sure Laura Benanti will do a great show. She is not one of the three
Just wish people would put more work into their cabaret acts. Especially some name talent.

Copperfield2
#1354 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 1:10am

Laura Benanti is a fantastic performer and sings beautifully. I saw her at American Songbook last year and she was wonderful. She will sing some classic Broadway songs, some pop and some funny numbers as well. There is a $25 food and beverage charge in addition to the music charge. But it's all worth it. I have to work when Benanti performs or I would go to see her without hesitation.

Copperfield2
#1454 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 1:17am

I wanted to add that I am a Yankees fan, BTW.

But I also would like to say something in reaction to what Goldenboy said. I've seen Liz Callaway, Leslie Uggams, Rebecca Luker, Jason Graae and Faith Prince, Tim Minchin, Brian D'Arcy James, Marilyn Maye, the cast of Once, Laura Osnes, and Adam Pascal at 54 Below and all of them gave very thoughtful and exciting shows. Maybe I was fortunate in my choices.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1554 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 7:26am

Copperfield2 - Thumbs up on being a Yankee fan also - lol. Thanks for your replies because I was not very familiar with Ms. Benanti and I have never been to this club. The only "Broadway" people I have even seen in concert have been Linda Eder,Adam Pascal and Idina Menzel. My daughters also expressed interest in seeing Ramin Karimloo who will be in BB King's the same night we were thinking of going to 54 Below. Decisions, decisions - lol

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#1654 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 7:46am

BB King's has none of the charm and elegance of 54 Below.

Go Below.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#1754 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 8:12am

I'm with PJ: It's a beautiful, magical place. The other fun thing is that the audience is frequently sprinkled with Broadway celebrities.

I've enjoyed every visit, and on the last one I was delighted to see Tyne Daly and Len Cariou in the audience.

Updated On: 3/20/13 at 08:12 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1854 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 8:37am

PalJoey- thanks for advice.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1954 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 8:38am

RT - Cool, think my daughters and wife would love seeing some Broadway people in audience in addition to a wonderful show and venue.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2054 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 11:39am

If your party is four people or more, request one of the banquettes in the back. Every time I sit in one of them, I hear the lyrics to Jerry Herman's "Elegance" in my head.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#2154 Below
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:25pm

Isn't it just the most marvelous room? It really is what Joey and Reginald have said, 'magical.'

And I'm singing there on Sunday (shameless plug), and it's HEAVEN performing on that stage.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2254 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 9:09am

Tickets say price is $60. Does that mean the ticket is $60 plus $30 food/drink minimum or is $60 the total with food and drink minimum.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2354 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 9:11am

The tickets are $60 plus the $30 food/drink minimum. I've unfortunately only been to 54 Below once, when I saw Patti LuPone open the club in June, but it was so magical and I hope to make it back soon. I've heard Benanti does great concerts, so I hope you and your family go.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2454 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 9:14am

Some shows there are cheaper.

Like the one RobbieJ is in on Sunday.

Videos