News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

54 Below

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#2554 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 9:16am

Saw Laura Benanti at Jazz at Lincoln Center, and she was amazing. And we've just recently been to 54 Below to see Adam Guettel and Steven Pasquale, great evening. For a nightclub, we were pleasantly surprised that the food was really good and not expensive, and we didn't feel "packed in."

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2654 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 11:12am

Givesmevoice - I thought it was probably $60 plus $30 but just making sure. I appreciate the reply.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2754 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 11:14am

jayinchelsea - glad to hear the food was good, never know in clubs.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#2854 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 5:55pm

Note.. when ordering wine. (or any drink) .. make sure to ask the price or look at the pricing. Our waitress suggested a Malbec for my friend when asked. The price? $20 bucks for a glass.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2954 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 7:31pm

That musta been some Malbec.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#3054 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 7:49pm

The food is very good. I actually find it a bit expensive, but again, it's part of an overall experience.

The room is beautiful and comfortable and the service is first-rate.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#3154 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 8:35pm

I'm basically just going to echo everyone else and say that you should go. I saw Laura Benanti's American Songbook concert and she was fantastic, and 54 Below is truly a magical place to see people who are great at what they do perform.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#3254 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 8:41pm

For one-stop-shopping dinner and a show, the price and experience can't be beat. I second that the room has a magical quality and the talent it attracts is magnificent. According to FourSquare, I've been 28 times (!) and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself each time (with one notable exception).

Reginald Tresilian
#3354 Below
Posted: 3/21/13 at 8:44pm

I mean, the effing bathrooms are beautiful.

(At least, the men's room is.)

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#3454 Below
Posted: 3/22/13 at 2:54am

The place is beautiful. It is a must see New York Experience that should be experienced by all who love theatre and cabaret performers.
It's a great place to go to see name people in an intimate room.
There are some drawbacks. The calibre of acts vary greatly. You can't go wrong with (so I hear) with Laura
Benanti or Liliand Monteveci or Simply Barbra or Linda Lavin or Barbara Cook or Patti Lupone but some of the shows by Broadway Stars with less cabaret experience seem sloppily and hastily put together.
The food is ok. Not great. The portions are small but the prices are fair.
Watch out for the $20 glasses of wine; select cabaret artists wisely and you will have a great time. An evening with cover and minimum should cost around 50 bucks plus tip.

wonkit
#3554 Below
Posted: 3/22/13 at 9:48am

Wine by the glass prices all over NYC are out of sight. I paid $14 for a really mediocre C****nay at an otherwise modest restaurant on 8th Avenue.

You have to be kidding that I can't spell the name of a standard white wine because there is a "hidden" dirty word in it. I am laughing so hard I just spit all over my computer screen. Updated On: 3/22/13 at 09:48 AM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#3654 Below
Posted: 3/23/13 at 12:37am

C****ay?

Updated On: 3/23/13 at 12:37 AM

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#3754 Below
Posted: 3/23/13 at 12:50am

I'm against censorship.... except when it's hilarious.

Chardo nay. There.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3854 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:52am

One final question. What is the dress code? I assume the club is "upscale" so I would wear jacket and tie and the ladies in my life would wear a dress. Let me know since you have been there before and I have not. Thanks in advance.

Reginald Tresilian
#3954 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 11:27am

There's no dress code, and I've seen people wearing pretty much everything. They don't require jacket and tie.

But the place is nice, and dressing up a bit is, I think, part of the fun.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#4054 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 11:37am

I mean, the effing bathrooms are beautiful.

(At least, the men's room is.)

The ladies' room is, too.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Reginald Tresilian
#4154 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 12:14pm

I assumed that to be the case. :)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4254 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 12:37pm

Fifteen-dollar cocktails tend to taste better when you've dressed up a bit. It makes the evening more of an event.

Glad to hear that the ladies' room is beautiful too. Even the staircase is beautiful.

Reginald Tresilian
#4354 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:57pm

54 Below

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4454 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 5:29pm

Ze stage is beautiful

54 Below

Ze room is beautiful

54 Below

Updated On: 3/28/13 at 05:29 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4554 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 5:30pm

54 Below

Even ze bar is beautiful.

Updated On: 3/28/13 at 05:30 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#4654 Below
Posted: 3/28/13 at 5:43pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't resist touching that flocked red wallpaper while waiting on the staircase to go in.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

MisterSnow89 Profile Photo
MisterSnow89
#4754 Below
Posted: 4/29/13 at 8:22pm

I have a question regarding dinner at 54 Below. My family and I are attending Barbara Cook's 9:30 performance on Thursday. We were planning on eating dinner their prior to the show, but I realized the doors won't open for our performance until 8:45, due to her 7pm show. Should we still try and have dinner their, or should we get dinner somewhere else and just have drinks/dessert there.

Also, my sister is only 20, so she would not be able to purchase alcohol and I am concerned that we would have trouble reaching the $30 minimum if we do not have a full meal there.

Thank you for your help!

Reginald Tresilian
#4854 Below
Posted: 4/29/13 at 9:09pm

You can eat during the show. If you're there at 8:45, you should be served before 9:30.

The staff is very skilled at bringing and taking away food and beverage items without disturbing anyone.

I'm pretty sure the bill just needs to average out to the minimum per person. Also, if you are eating, even if it were just snacks or appetizers, you won't have a problem reaching the minimum. (Also three soft drinks would probably bring your sister up to the minimum.)

Videos