News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Why is Wicked all I hear about?- Page 2

Why is Wicked all I hear about?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 12:25pm

Cats is a great example of this. It was an awful show, but the press made such a big deal about it at the time. It also appealed to people who's first language wasn't English. MANY People are easily led. They don't know what they should like, and so they are told, and so they go.

That's a great example of the difference in opinions. Whether or not you like a show has nothing to do with the opinions of others, much less whether or not they are "easily led". I think a lot of Sophisticated Theatre Goers often forget this.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#26Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 12:32pm

I'm not forgetting it... I'm pointing it out. Wicked is an awful show. And so is Cats. I don't care who else likes them or not. They are awful shows.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#27Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 12:35pm

Well there you go.

Thread closed.

....but the world goes 'round

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#28Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 12:37pm

Thank you Tazber. lol

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 12:54pm

I don't care who else likes them or not.

So why do you judge them and determine their motivations? The only thing you're pointing out is an unsophisticated display of subjectivity.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#30Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 1:12pm

"MANY People are easily led. They don't know what they should like, and so they are told, and so they go."

Again, I don't see how liking any particular show is an example of being "misled." People have different tastes, whether their favorite musical is CATS or Showboat or Wicked or The King and I. It all has to do with personal preference, and just because YOU dislike a certain show doesn't mean that others are wrong or uneducated for enjoying it.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/3/14 at 1:18pm

CATS was a new and exciting venture. It's biggest problem, is that it quickly got outshone by the light coming through the very door they opened.

But there are an awful lot of "sophisticated theater goers" that don't know squat.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

buffy27 Profile Photo
buffy27
#32Why is Wicked all I hear about?
Posted: 11/6/14 at 2:01pm

I've seen it twice, 2004 and 2005. Those were the good ole days for me. Some of the songs are magic, the set is beautiful along with the costumes. I feel like the story is a little too long. It has ent shown any signs of running down any time soon. It will make its 20th let's face it. They don't pull stunt casting, it's based on the Wizard of Oz and that is one of the most beloved classics. It's a great show for the little ones first time. I can see the appeal but won't be going anytime soon.

Videos