News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 3

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#50Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/5/16 at 8:32am

So in 2015, Fun Home was ineligible for all of the precursor awards, then won Best Musical. Same deal this year for Hamilton. Next year, Dear Evan Hansen and Great Comet will both be ineligible for all the precursor awards, having already been eligible in their Off-Broadway runs. That's going to make for a really fascinating and tough-to-predict race, if it does indeed come down between those 2 musicals (as I hope it does).

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#51Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/5/16 at 9:05am

Glad some other people on here said it first... I have high hopes for Midler but I was never super convinced from the start. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#52Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/13/16 at 11:18pm

Best Musical-Dear Evan Hansen

Best Score-Dear Evan Hansen (Anastasia may a slight chance)

Best Actor-Ben Platt, Dear Evan Hansen

Best Actress-Bette Middler, Hello Dolly or Patti LuPone in War Paint 

Best Featured Actress-Leona Lewis (Cats), Caroline O’Connor (Anastasia) or whoever the Dowager Empress is (Anastasia)

Best Featured Actor-Gavin Lee (Spongebob Musical)

Best Scenic Design-Natasha and the Great Comet (Shoo-in)

Best Costume Design-Cats

Best Cherography-Cats or Anastasia

Updated On: 7/13/16 at 11:18 PM

Sondheim_Disney1595
#53Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/31/16 at 2:28pm

What is Kristin Chenoweth involved in next season?

Updated On: 7/31/16 at 02:28 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#54Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/31/16 at 2:36pm

She only has The Best Little Whorehouse and a Tammy Faye Baker musical in the works.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#55Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/31/16 at 2:47pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "This is being brought up in the War Paint Chicago thread, but it's looking to be another killer year for Lead Actress. Bette Midler, Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole, Denée Benton, Phillipa Soo, Christy Altomare... maybe Kristin Chenoweth? Sutton Foster? Stephanie J. Block? Wow, already."

Barbara Walsh was nominated as a Featured Actress for playing Trina in Falsettos, so I think Stephanie J. Block could end up being nominated there as well.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#56Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/31/16 at 4:19pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Best Featured Actress-Leona Lewis (Cats), Caroline O’Connor (Anastasia) or whoever the Dowager Empress is (Anastasia)"

If Leona is still giving the same performance in the spring that she is now, I would count her out. 

RW3
#57Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/31/16 at 5:46pm

Question: How many shows can be nominated for Best Revival of a Musical? Is it three or can it be bumped up to four?

If Three: Best Revival of a Musical

Miss Saigon

Falsettos

Hello Dolly

If Four: Best Revival of a Musical

Cats

Falsettos

Miss Saigon

Hello Dolly

broadwayguy91
#58Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/1/16 at 3:30am

We just had a season where there were four nominees for best revival, so .....

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#59Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/1/16 at 3:42am

there have been many years with 4 nominees including last year, but I think it has to do with how many shows are eligible.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

broadwayguy91
#60Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/1/16 at 6:29am

The Tonys won't remember Leona,. just like they did with jennifer hudson

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#61Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/1/16 at 7:26am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Best Actress-Bette Middler, Hello Dolly or Patti LuPone in War Paint"

If somebody is gonna win for war paint it will be Christine not Patti

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#62Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:54am

broadwayguy91 said: "The Tonys won't remember Leona,. just like they did with jennifer hudson

"

It wasn't about the Tony's "not remembering" Jennifer Hudson, it was simply that her performance wasn't as strong as the other women last season. 

broadwayguy91
#63Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:11pm

Jessetenny said: "broadwayguy91 said: "The Tonys won't remember Leona,. just like they did with jennifer hudson

"

It wasn't about the Tony's "not remembering" Jennifer Hudson, it was simply that her performance wasn't as strong as the other women last season. 

"

J Hud has a nice voice (like Leona), but her acting was wooden and awful (like Leona). 

and please don't bring up her Oscar win, because we all know that that Academy Award should have been given to the director who made her look good. #caseclosed.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#64Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:39pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Best Musical-Dear Evan Hansen

Best Score-Dear Evan Hansen (Anastasia may a slight chance)

Best Actor-Ben Platt, Dear Evan Hansen

Best Actress-Bette Middler, Hello Dolly or Patti LuPone in War Paint 

Best Featured Actress-Leona Lewis (Cats), Caroline O’Connor (Anastasia) or whoever the Dowager Empress is (Anastasia)

Best Featured Actor-Gavin Lee (Spongebob Musical)

Best Scenic Design-Natasha and the Great Comet (Shoo-in)

Best Costume Design-Cats

Best Cherography-Cats or Anastasia

"

After seeing War Paint, Ebersole has a much better chance than LuPone. Especially with Ebersole's 11 o'clock number, "Pink." 

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#65Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:00pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Best Revival: Miss Saigon. Tony owes MS a "best" award. Can't believe the voters gave it to Will Rodgers

"

I think the reason they voted for will is because it was an all American musical, Miss Saigon had controversies such as not hiring American actors for the Broadway version, instead using actors not from the country as well as in the equity, even the cast of Saigon said they weren't expecting any wins (besides Salonga) because their show was under so much controversy.

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#66Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:07pm

Also I think The Great Comet will take home some Tonys, including best Musical, It is a new style of theater that I think not many people have seen before, it's a special treat with an amazing set and lighting design. It will take home best score and orchestrations because the score is a masterpiece. I don't think it will take any best actor noms, If Phillipa was still in the company, she might of had a chance at the Best Actress.

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#67Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:10pm

It's seems to me that everyone is leaving out Eva Noblezada and her portrayal of Kim in the leading actress category. I think she's a definite nomination come Tony time. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#68Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:15pm

Bette Midler – Hello, Dolly!
Denée Benton – Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812
Patti LuPone – War Paint
Christine Ebersole – War Paint
Eva Noblezada – Miss Saigon
Phillipa Soo – Amélie
Christy Altomare – Anastasia

I seriously can't even begin to think who could be ignored from that list of potential Best Actress nominees. What an amazing season it's shaping up to be.

Oak2
#69Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:17pm

Best Actor will go to Lin-Manuel Miranda just for standing on Times Square for like 15 minutes.

rjm516
#70Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:24pm

Dear Evan Hansen was really special. Ben's performance and that score (and both the mothers' performances) have really stuck with me. I would love if they had tons of nominations and several deserved wins. I agree that Natasha is really something, maybe could be a masterpiece, but the score to DEH is so much better. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#71Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:24pm

TheSassySam said: "After seeing War Paint, Ebersole has a much better chance than LuPone. Especially with Ebersole's 11 o'clock number, "Pink." "

After seeing War Paint, I think Patti has a significantly stronger chance at that Tony. Christine didn't impress me much.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#72Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:26pm

Can we put an embargo on LMM award jokes until his next musical debuts? They're no longer funny.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#73Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:44pm

Drewski Vanderbilt said: "I think the reason they voted for will is because it was an all American musical, Miss Saigon had controversies such as not hiring American actors for the Broadway version, instead using actors not from the country as well as in the equity, even the cast of Saigon said they weren't expecting any wins (besides Salonga) because their show was under so much controversy."

The fact that WWF was an American show might have helped it. However, I don't think the casting controversy hurt Miss Saigon much in the end, since Jonathan Pryce won the Best Leading Actor Tony, and he was the focus of that controversy.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#74Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 1:58pm

I think Dear Evan Hansen will suffer a bit from having been opened a few months and not as fresh and new in the Tony voters' minds.  Reduced buzz.  Hamilton did fine by the time the Tonys rolled around, but this isn't Hamilton. Therefore, if Great Comet can survive until the Tony's, I see it splitting the art vote from DEH, and watch for Anastasia to swing in as the last minute fresh and buzzing entry in late April with the out of town vote helping to boost it ahead of the split DEH and comet voters. 

DEH, more so than Anastasia in my opinion, will benefit the most if Comet stumbles. 

Videos