News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019

Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 12:41pm

Borrowed the list from BroadwayConcierge's post, but here's the list of musicals announced as of today.  If any of these get nominated or invest to perform, what could/should they perform?

New Musicals
• Ain't Too Proud – Imperial Theatre (Medley)
• Be More Chill – Lyceum Theatre
• Beetlejuice – Winter Garden Theatre
• The Cher Show  Neil Simon Theatre (Believe or Medley)
Gettin' the Band Back Together  Belasco Theatre
• Hadestown – Walter Kerr Theatre (Why We Build The Wall)
• Head Over Heels  Hudson Theatre (Medley)
• King Kong  Broadway Theatre
• Pretty Woman  Nederlander Theatre (I Can't Go Back)
• The Prom  Longacre Theatre
Tootsie – Marquis Theatre 

Musical Revivals
• Kiss Me, Kate  Studio 54 (Medley or Too Darn Hot)

laurensambrose Profile Photo
laurensambrose
#2Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 3:02pm

Do we think Cher would be more likely to introduce the Cher show or perform with them ala Carole King/Gloria Estefan/Sara Bareilles? 

Rainah
#3Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 3:37pm

I agree Hadestown will likely do Why We Build The Wall but I think it's a mistake. Id rather see Way Down Hadestown (or heck, wait for me, living it up on top, and road to hell would all be decent choices)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 4:00pm

Even if it gets nominated I’m not sure I can see King Kong being able to perform if the puppet is the only thing going for it. I guess they can build one for the tony awards, but would they want to spend all that money on a 4 minute performance?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

aimeric
#5Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 4:01pm

Yep, I'm with Rainah.  I'd rather see "Way Down Hadestown" on the Tonys: a much better introduction to the show and characters than "Why We Build the Wall."

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#6Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:04pm

Disclaimer that I have only listened to the recording - haven't seen the show - but I feel like Way Down Hadestown was practically written to be performed at the Tony Awards. Features every character, and it's catchy. 

bway_engineer
#7Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:28pm

I feel like tootsie doesn’t have a particularly good song quite yet for the Tonys. I could see them maybe doing Unstoppable/ ACT 1 closer but they could change it. I doubt it’ll only just get a nom for Santino as I’m expecting at least one featured to be nom and best musical but you never now. If just Santino getting nommed however I could see them doing the audition song(I won’t let you down) and the small reprise of the song before(what do you do)
Also Way Down Hadestown would be perfect for tonys

I could see Tootsie, Hadestown, The Prom, Beetlejuice(for the tech things), Cher Show and a surprise show which ends up picking up a few noms performing.

(tbh I’d be very surprised if be more chill doesn’t perform cause it will cause a lot of teen viewers to probably tune into the tonys) 

Updated On: 12/3/18 at 11:28 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#8Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:40pm

Only 4 shows were nominated this year for best musical. Based on what has opened and what we know is still to open, I predict the nominations for best musical will be:

The Cher Show

Hadestown

The Prom

Tootsie

If a fifth show is nominated, it’ll either be Be More Chill or Beetlejuice, but I think it’s likely only 3 or 4 nominations. If only 3, The Cher Show gets cut. It could also be that Be More Chill takes the place of The Cher Show above.

Of course, I haven’t seen any of these shows so WTF do I know? Lol

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#9Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:43pm

Isn't it always 4 for Best Musical, unless there's a tie (or within 3 votes)?

I agree that Be More Chill would want the exposure, even if they don't get a Best Musical nomination. I think they would do More Than Survive or The Smartphone Hour.

Cher Show would probably do a mega mix, highlighting each Cher.

The Prom would probably do It's Time to Dance or whatever that song's called.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#10Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:49pm

Out of curiosity, is there a limit on the number of shows that are NOT nominated for Best Musical that can perform on the telecast? I would think some of the producers would want the publicity.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#11Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 12:25am

Elegance101 said: "Isn't it always 4 for Best Musical, unless there's a tie (or within 3 votes)?

Here are the rules as far I could find on the web:

“(A) Where there are nine or more eligible shows in a Best Show category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for four eligible shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot shall be collected and tabulated by a representative of the Accounting Firm. The four eligible shows with the highest number of votes will automatically be designated as the nominees in such category. A fifth nominee shall be added to the category in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between the fourth highest ranked show and the fifth highest ranked show is three votes or less.”

so let’s see if I can count the shows eligible for a best musical nomination:

1. Pretty Woman

2. Head Over Heels

3. Getting The Band Back Together 

4. Tootsie

5. Hadestown

6. The Prom

7.  Beetlejuice 

8. Be More Chill

Is that it? Have I left anything out? If not, it looks like we would for sure be limited to no more than four nominations which is fair. It wasn’t a strong year for musicals as the list above attests. 

anislander
#12Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 12:38am

Miles2Go2 said: "Elegance101 said: "Isn't it always 4 for Best Musical, unless there's a tie (or within 3 votes)?

Here are the rules as far I could find on the web:

“(A) Where there are nine or more eligible shows in a Best Show category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for four eligible shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot shall be collected and tabulated by a representative of the Accounting Firm. The four eligible shows with the highest number of votes will automatically be designated as the nominees in such category. A fifth nominee shall be added to the category in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between the fourth highest ranked show and the fifth highest ranked show is three votes or less.”

so let’s see if I can count theshows eligiblefor a best musical nomination:

1. Pretty Woman

2. Head Over Heels

4. Tootsie

5. Hadestown

6. The Prom

7. Beetlejuice

8. Be More Chill

Isthat it? Have I left anything out? If not, it looks like we would for sure be limited to no more than four nominations which is fair. It wasn’t a strong year for musicals as the list above attests.

You left out The Cher Show, but that would be number 9, so it would still be 4 shows nominated.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#13Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 12:42am

Lol. I can’t believe I left out The Cher Show.

Actually, if I read the rules correctly, if there are three or less votes separating the shows with the fourth and fifth most votes they both get nominated. Not likely, but I suppose we could end up with 5 nominations?

InTheBathroom1
#14Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 12:43am

Cher Show, Ain’t Too Proud, King Kong

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#15Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 12:48am

As referenced a few posts above I also left out Ain’t Too Proud to Beg and King Kong:

1. Pretty Woman

2. Head Over Heels

4. Tootsie

5. Hadestown

6. The Prom

7. Beetlejuice

8. Be More Chill

9. The Cher Show

10. Ain’t Too Proud To Beg

11. King Kong

So, will be interesting to see if we end up with 4 or 5 nominations. Depending on reviews, I could possibly see Ain’t Too Proud To Beg getting nominated.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#16Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 1:08am

Well, we can assume we'll end up with 4, unless something unlikely happens.

MauraLovesMusicals
#17Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 10:08am

Miles2Go2 said: "Only 4 shows were nominated this year for best musical. Based on what has opened and what we know is still to open, I predict the nominations for best musical will be:

The Cher Show

Hadestown

The Prom

Tootsie

If a fifth show is nominated, it’ll either be Be More Chill or Beetlejuice, but I think it’s likely only 3 or 4 nominations. If only 3, The Cher Show gets cut. It could also be that Be More Chill takes the place of The Cher Show above.

Of course, I haven’t seen any of these shows so WTF do I know? Lol
"

in my own opinion, i would nix the cher show. i don’t think block on her own could carry them to a nomination. if i’m being honest, and it pains me to say, but i think be more chill is going to take that nomination spot. iconis and salazar are both constantly being spout praise by the general broadway community, it’s seen as a raunchy show which are always tony darlings and a lot of what the cher show has been done by summer, so it’s going to seem tired. 

MadsonMelo
#18Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 11:15am

Be More Chill got a pretty bad review from NYT, if others are like that I don't think they have much of a choice.

Beetlejuice can improve and Ain't too Proud can surprise, but as of now I'm still with the combo The Prom and The Cher Show.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#19Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 11:26am

MadsonMelo said: "Be More Chill got a pretty bad review from NYT, if others are like that I don't think they have much of a choice.

Beetlejuice can improve and Ain't too Proud can surprise, but as of now I'm still with the combo The Prom and The Cher Show.
"

Be More Chill got a rave from Terry Teachout in the WSJ, better than any of the reviews for The Cher Show, and the NYT review was less of a pan, more of Ben Brantley admitting that he wasn't the show's target audience. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#20Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 11:31am

Miles2Go2 said: "As referenced a few posts above I also left out Ain’t Too Proud to Beg and King Kong:

1. Pretty Woman

2. Head Over Heels

4. Tootsie

5. Hadestown

6. The Prom

7. Beetlejuice

8. Be More Chill

9. The Cher Show

10. Ain’t Too Proud To Beg

11. King Kong

So, will be interesting to see if we end up with 4 or 5 nominations. Depending on reviews, I could possibly see Ain’t Too Proud To Beg getting nominated.
"

If we're assuming the Girl from the North Country transfer is happening, it will be nominated. My money is on Be More Chill to take the 5th slot, with Hadestown, Tootsie, and The Prom being the other 3.

Updated On: 12/4/18 at 11:31 AM

Catsbroadwayfan
#21Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 2:35pm

My money is on nominations for...

1) Hadestown.

2) Tootsie.

3) Beetlejuice.

4) The Prom

5) (If there even is one) will be Be more chill or Ain’t too proud

Rainah
#22Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 10:00pm

JudyDenmark said: "Disclaimer that I have only listened to the recording - haven't seen the show - but I feel like Way Down Hadestown was practically written to be performed at the Tony Awards. Features every character, and it's catchy."

It's the logical choice, and yet Why We Build The Wall was the promo for the run at the national, and with the current political landscape it's the song that gets the most attention. It's also not representative of the show as a whole and only shows off Patrick, so I hope they go with Way Down Hadestown instead. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#23Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 12/4/18 at 10:25pm

Rainah said: "JudyDenmark said: "Disclaimer that I have only listened to the recording - haven't seen the show - but I feel like Way Down Hadestown was practically written to be performed at the Tony Awards. Features every character, and it's catchy."

It's the logical choice, and yet Why We Build The Wall was the promo for the run at the national, and with the current political landscape it's the song that gets the most attention. It's also not representative of the show as a whole and only shows off Patrick, so I hope they go with Way Down Hadestown instead.
"

I think it would be smart to do Why We Build the Wall on a talk show like Colbert.

anthonyg2
#24Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 1/27/19 at 4:39pm

I’ve heard that Wait for Me is supposed to be quite the visual spectical. If Hadestown gets a nod for scenic design there’s a chance that they might perform Wait for Me to showcase that design. On the other hand, it vocally only showcases Hermes and Orpheus, neither of which I can foresee getting nominated. 

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#25Way Too Early Tony Award Performances 2019
Posted: 1/27/19 at 5:39pm

For the Prom I think if only Beth Leavel gets a nom theyll do the ladys improving. If more get noms theyll definetly do Its Time to Dance

Videos