News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed- Page 2

The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed

April Saul
#25re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 4:13pm

This was already noted on the ATC board, but the folks who put 9 to 5 on were so confident that they didn't bother with TDF or any of the papering organizations...not sure that would've made a difference in the long run, but it's a way to build support and word-of-mouth early.

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#26re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 4:23pm

dramamama--- I didn't mean to imply that 9 to 5 deserved more air time (although they could have performed instead of the Mamma Mia touring company lol). Even if the Tony's are 99% theatre fans, its the closest to national exposure that shows get and 9 to 5 didn't take very good advantage of the time that they had. I just wonder if they had more air-time if the show would have had a little bigger boost during the summer.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

Yankeefan007
#27re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 4:27pm

9 to 5 actually was papered...either the opening previews or during the press performances.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 4:28pm

I could have done without ANY of the touring companies performing. I thought they were all atrocious.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#29re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 4:36pm

^^^

AMEN! to that lol Mamma Mia and LB were awful. I think Jersey Boys were fine, but the fact they had two previous Tony performances back to back made it annoying.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

AndAllThatJazz22
#30re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 4:43pm

Jersey Boys was fine...but forgettable. Mamma Mia was a friggin trainwreck. Legally Blonde should have been called 'Legally Bland'.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#31re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 4:49pm

How about its startling lack of Tony nominations?

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#32re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 5:36pm

Here are two reasons why the show failed:

1.) The source material is garbage. I saw the movie when it came out in 1980 and knew I was watching something that was hackneyed, corny, obvious and trite. Fonda, Parton and Tomlin were the only reasons to see it. The TV series of the same name was gone in a minute just a couple of years later.

2.) The execution was awful. Overproduced, undersung and very poorly written, this show had no chance. Dolly Parton is a fine songwriter, but that doesn't qualify her to score a BW show. Most of the songs are crooned in a pop-country manner that has nothing to do with what the show is about.

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#33re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 5:43pm

The book is corny and poorly written, if they had gotten a different bookwriter and toned down the huge and somewhat boring set pieces it would've been amazing.

I also don't think Stephanie J Block can act. She can sing the pants off of everyone in the audience but act? No.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#34re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 6:38pm

The set and the technical aspects of the show are the biggest reason the quality failed.

Because everyone involved was so busy trying to address all the mechanical problems going on during the run in LA, they did little to no work on the actual show while they were there.

During the big interim between the final performance at The Ahmanson and the start to previews in New York, the design flaws again overshadowed the issues that needed to be addressed with the book and score. At the very end of the pre-production process, Dolly came in with several new songs that replaced the ones that were the biggest problems in LA, but by then the structure of the show was already negated to the point of no return.

The preview period in New York was as underutilized as the one in LA, and the show opened to dismal reviews and disappointing box office returns.

All of that aside, the biggest problem from the project's inception was that there wasn't an effort made to make the theatrical adaptation its own separate entity. As Michael Reidel pointed out, the most successful screen-to-stage musicals have been the ones that have payed homage to the films they're based on while still establishing themselves as a unique experience, which was far from the case with 9 TO 5.

By hiring the film's screenwriter to adapt the book and its star to write the score, the decision was simultaneously made to basically lift the movie and put it on stage. Why would someone pay top ticket prices to watch something they could rent for a few dollars? Had there been bold choices made to set the musical apart as something new and innately theatrical, the success many thought would be inevitable may indeed have happened, but the lack of said decisions is ultimately responsible for the show's commercial failure.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

gravity87
#35re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 7:20pm

RE: The Tony's opening number, they had over a MINUTE, sadly the focus was on Dolly's Hideous Dress, and a close up on Alison Janey lip syncing in earnest. The choreography looked interesting, but hard to grasp based on how they chose to film it. They needed to pep it up to sell tickets

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#36re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 8:16pm

I personally think a HUGE reason the show failed was due to advertising and marketing..

I live in the Bronx and I see alot of ads for shows such as billy elliot, toxic avenger, mamma mia, etc.. all on bus ads and posters and train ads.

I have NEVER seen a 9 to 5 poster or ad anywhere over here.. I didnt even know about the show until I saw the posters in Time Square.

I personally enjoyed the show and I thought it could have the possibility to be a big hit (even if not critically) but they did nothing to advertise it outside the theatre district and I saw ONE commercial at like 1130 at night once..

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#37re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/29/09 at 9:58pm

I will agree about Marc's 2nd act song. I love the man to death and I really wanted to like this show but that song is beyond awful. I tried giving it a listen on the cast recording and it sounds even worse there. I saw the show 3 times in previews and each time when that scene was coming up I just crossed my fingers I'd be seeing a replacement song.
Alas, we're stuck with it now.

If you think "Always A Woman" is bad then be happy that you never had to listen to the one it replaced "Mundania". Talk about an awful song where Marc did nothing but twirl in his harness at least this one had the gospel ensemble to interact with him and take the focus off of him hanging in mid-air. Tried to find it at You Tube but no luck. Just take my word even if this song is bad "Mundania" was worse.

delucad15 Profile Photo
delucad15
#38re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/30/09 at 12:20am

Some of the songs are very catchy i have to say, but yeah some of them are very bland and boring.

i really tried to love it but it never really got me. it's a nice feel good show, but no depth to it, or nothing really special about it at all

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#39re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:16pm

The third reason:

re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TheatreDork2
#40re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:28pm

If you think "Always A Woman" is bad then be happy that you never had to listen to the one it replaced "Mundania". Talk about an awful song where Marc did nothing but twirl in his harness at least this one had the gospel ensemble to interact with him and take the focus off of him hanging in mid-air. Tried to find it at You Tube but no luck. Just take my word even if this song is bad "Mundania" was worse.

I actually liked Mundania a lot. I didn't on the first try, but after few listens I got into it.

kcry411
#41re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:31pm

I totally agree w/ the comments about "Mundania" being SO MUCH MORE UNBEARABLE than anyone can imagine live. I actually find "Always a Woman" to be charming and funny though, and a pretty clever reference to James Brown. Made me laugh.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#42re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:35pm

I'm wondering if Dolly would have been better off doing a jukebox musical and wrapping a lame story around her hits. That might actually work better and fill seats. The energy in the audience when the song 9 to 5 start playing is palpable and then just sort of falls away. Maybe a musical of the Dolly Catalgoue with some amazing dance numbers would have been a hit.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#43re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:49pm

Blaxx, WTF at that quote. Way to attract people to the show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#44re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/31/09 at 3:43pm

I know! Pot, an affair and M&M's as some random lady chews on a pen? Way to sell a show! No wonder...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#45re: The 2 Reasons 9 to 5 Failed
Posted: 7/31/09 at 5:46pm

I personally saw no problem with where Backwoods Barbie was.. It worked fine where it was.

Videos