News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win- Page 2

Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#25Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:13pm

Even though I was definitely rooting for Lucas or Kuhn, I was very happy for Ruthie Ann, and she had the best speech of the night.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:17pm

Ruthie's key always sounded slightly lower to me, as MrMusic confirmed. The other versions are quite operatic, therefore Ruthie's sounded a little lower right away to me.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#27Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:21pm

When I heard about her casting, I was wondering how she would handle the song as I didnt think she had the range...but loved the key she sang in the show. 

I agree that she seemded thrown off last night in the medley. It is NOT indicative of her actual performance.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Updated On: 6/8/15 at 12:21 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/8/15 at 4:45pm

Well I would imagine performing on the Tonys and in a medley that probably was still fairly new to them all would throw anyway off a little bit. But she was great in the show. Honestly, Best Featured Actress could have gone to any of them, including Daly, and I would have been happy. I thought they were all great in their respective shows.

The only upset I had was Borle winning.

BroadwayFan12
#29Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/8/15 at 5:40pm

Very well said, PalJoey. I haven't yet seen Fun Home so I'm obviously biased, but I was thrilled for Ruthie.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#30Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:48pm

Ruthie Ann Miles — "Something Wonderful"

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#31Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 8:11am

Love Ruthie Ann and loved her in TKAI and Here Lies Love!

That having been said, the acceptance speech was awful and lacked emotion. Was truly disappointed when I saw her holding an iPhone and reading like a robot from the screen...speak from the heart! You deserved it and earned it!

Liza's Headband
#32Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:10am

Criticizing someone for reading a prepared speech, which happens quite often, is absolutely ridiculous. Shame on you. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#33Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:47am

I think her speech showed the emotion of true shock and wonder that she had won this award. I found her speech to be endearing, especially with the joke that didn't work and the whole "tap dancers coming for her" bit - she has great facial expressions.

Her backstage interview here on Broadway World is worth watching. There are moments when she is speechless and so emotional about the whole thing. She also said she didn't fully write the speech on her phone, but she gave herself bullet points so she wouldn't forget anything.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#34Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:28am

""I am pretty sure they raised the key of her song too. I didn't see the show, but I could tell from her singing it last night it was higher. Much higher. She my be wonderful in the show, but she seemed really distracted last night while she was singing. I prefer it in the lower, darker key. I think Judy Kuhn should have won. Not only for her wonderful performance in Fun Home but her body of work through the years."
 Actually, Ruthie sings "Something Wonderful" a half step lower than the original key. Last night, she sang in the key she sings the song in the show."

Every time I have heard this sung in a higher key I never got all of the lyrics.  Miles' key fit the singer and I understood every beautiful word of this amazing song.

Nice is different than good.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#35Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:52am

Interesting that Miles and Ashford both appeared in American classics in roles that generally don't make huge awards-caliber impressions... and both got Tony's.  

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#36Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:04pm

PalJoey knows that I agree with EVERY word he wrote about her performance. 

I was thrilled that she won, and believe it was because HER performance was Tony worthy.  (Not because others split the vote).  

I loved her acceptance speech.  Great use of technology, and her emotional and joyful and teary-eyed delivery was beautiful.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#37Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:32pm

Wonderful clip here from Ruthie Ann Miles in the press room. This is a gracious, grateful woman: http://v.playbill.com/services/player/bcpid82993908001?bctid=4282222389001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAEX25ttk~,qVVep19cvaUd_MvoBnuGVanJsQIaFNkH

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

SFFrontRow
#38Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 1:29pm

Have not seen King and I (scheduled for my November trip) but I buy into what I read that she is a highlight and redefines that role. After her performance in Here Lies Love, it is not surprising. And her speech was very endearing - truly humble, funny and so appreciative of the win.

That having been said, I was really hoping that Judy Kuhn would have her moment to shine. I have seen her in a lot of her performances over the years and really think she is a special talent. I have also seen Fun Home at Circle and think that all three of the featured actresses were outstanding. I really do believe that split between at least Kuhn and Sydney was the avenue for Ruthie to take the Tony.

But, in the end, these awards are a point in time honor while the other awards for Fun Home were much more historic (all women writing team, truly outstanding production) and important.

I really do think just about anyone in that category could have been honored with the award and the fact that so few Asian actors have won it, it was nice to see Ruthie at the podium.

It is too bad these things are such a competition.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#39Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:41pm

Ruthie Ann Miles received wonderful entrance applause tonight at KING & I.

Her Tony win is SO deserved.   She brought something so fresh and powerful to this role.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#40Ruthie Ann Miles' Tony win
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:45pm

^ That's so great to hear. 

Also, I can't believe that the last time an Asian actress won a Tony was in 1991 (Lea Salonga in MISS SAIGON). Such a shame. Broadway needs to diversify more. I'm glad that ALLEGIANCE is opening soon; I hope that it will do well.  

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Videos