News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ok to wear shorts to the theater when it’s 94 degrees out?- Page 8

Ok to wear shorts to the theater when it’s 94 degrees out?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#175Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 11:49am

When the heat index has been in the 90s and low 100s by 10 in the morning, as it has been most days in NYC in the last couple weeks, there is no way I am wearing long pants, for my own comfort and well-being.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#176Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 12:27pm

Imagine caring what anyone wears anywhere.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#177Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 2:50pm

MasterThespian 2 said: "The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top."

Oh, bite me. I do day trips from Syracuse for 2-3 show days and I’m gone for a full 24 hours. If it is 80-100 degrees out, you damn well believe I’m wearing a tank top and shorts for my own comfort. Judge me if you’d like, but you paid for a performance - not was other patrons are wearing. 

MasterThespian 2
#178Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 3:33pm

n2nbaby said: "MasterThespian 2 said: "The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top."

Oh, bite me. I do day trips from Syracuse for 2-3 show days and I’m gone for a full 24 hours. If it is 80-100 degrees out, you damn well believe I’m wearing a tank top and shorts for my own comfort. Judge me if you’d like, but you paid for a performance - not was other patrons are wearing.
"

Hahaha. Be a slob. You’ll have plenty of company. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#179Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 3:59pm

If you're so aghast at seeing skin below the knee, go back to the 1890s.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TotallyEffed
#180Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 4:01pm

MasterThespian 2 said: "n2nbaby said: "MasterThespian 2 said: "The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top."

"

Hahaha. Be a slob. You’ll have plenty of company.
"

I'll take a "slob" over a snob any day.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#181Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 4:04pm

The planet is dying. Humans are hurtling toward extinction. Dress code is the least of our worries.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#182Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 4:50pm

i love how this thread randomly revives itself yearly

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#183Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 5:27pm

Isn't a slob just a slob, no matter what they're wearing? Someone in shorts and a tank top could be much more put together than an unkempt, smelly person in dressier clothes. In fact, I see it often.

JSquared2
#184Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 5:45pm

n2nbaby said: "MasterThespian 2 said: "The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top."

"

Sorry, but the tank-top is crossing the line a bit.  Just put a t-shirt in your bag to change into.  No one wants to smell your pits throughout the show (with the exception of those particular fetishists)! 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#185Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 5:52pm

Are women allowed to go sleeveless, JSquared? If so, men can too.

Equality for all.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

TotallyEffed
#186Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 5:53pm

JSquared2 said: "n2nbaby said: "MasterThespian 2 said: "The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top."

"

Sorry, but the tank-top is crossing the line a bit. Just put a t-shirt in your bag to change into. No one wants to smell your pits throughout the show (with the exception of those particular fetishists)!
"

Ignorant comment. If you think the only way you’re going to smell stinky pits is if someone is wearing a tank top you are quite naive. This is a matter of hygiene, not dress code. If you smell you’re going to smell with or without sleeves.

pmensky
#187Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 6:00pm

I don’t like women in skirts, and the best thing is to wear pantyhose or some pants under a short skirt, I think. Then you have the pants under the skirt, and then you can pull the stockings up over the pants underneath the skirt. And you can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape. So I think this is the best costume for today.

verywellthensigh
#188Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 7:36pm

Dress appropriately or I shall hoot!

Shorts in the theater

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#189Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 7:55pm

I am team shorts.

Recently, I saw Merrily and wore linen shorts with a matching vest. Felt cute. Most of the day is spent walking around outside. Personally, I wouldn’t wear denim cutoffs to the theater, but I don’t see anything wrong with shorts. 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#190Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 11:03pm

JSquared2 said: "n2nbaby said: "MasterThespian 2 said: "The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top."

"

Sorry, but the tank-top is crossing the line a bit. Just put a t-shirt in your bag to change into. No one wants to smell your pits throughout the show (with the exception of those particular fetishists)!
"

Guess what? Sweat is going dry a lot quicker skin to skin versus being absorbed into the material of a t shirt for hours. So... yeah...

‐----------

MASTERTHESPIAN2 SAID: 
Hahaha. Be a slob. You’ll have plenty of company

If the alternative is the company of the likes of you then I'll gladly take the slobs. At least they're not just awful like you. 

berniesb!tch
#191Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 11:24pm

As someone who sees a lot of shows and wears a variety of outfits, I am team wear whatever you want. I try to look somewhat “nice“ when going to the theater, but there have been many times where I have been wearing shorts and God forbid a tank top. Sometimes I buy tickets last minute and don’t have time to change, or simply sweat through my clothes that a tank top is literally a more sensible option. I don’t even get why people care. 

Also as an actor and writer, we do not care what you are wearing - as long as your butt is in a seat! 

SKOC211
#192Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/12/24 at 12:34am

Last summer when it was equally as dreadful outside I went to a buzzy downtown cocktail bar. I'm basically Elsa and adore the cold and loathe the heat. So I wore nice khaki shorts, a short sleeve button down, wonderful glitter designer loafers, and paired it all with a lovely brooch. When I got there the condescension from the front of house staff was shocking. They said I was in violation of their dress code about no men in shorts and could only seat me away from the main cocktail room because of it. I wanted to argue about the fact that women were allowed in shorts and skirts, but didn't care enough because I was more interested in a drink and catching up with my friend, plus it was quieter in the section we ended up in. But the entire evening I observed that the attire of the men they did allow in was dreadful and schlubby, yet was fine as long as they were in jeans, but apparently an affront to be well put together in shorts. I'll never go back. 

The deeply antiquated ideals about how people dress in public when the world is on fire is shockingly stupid and crass.

CJRochester
#193Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/12/24 at 9:38am

I am team shorts as well. On my recent two-show visit in early June, I wore khaki shorts and a polo shirt, and did not feel out of place. I carried a hoodie with me just in case, and am very glad I did. Those theatres were bone-chilling cold!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#194Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/13/24 at 2:03pm

The average July temp in Central Park has increased 6 degrees since 1890 (to 79)  and there is no basis for believing it will not push into the 80s.

The average adult male height in the US has increased by 3 inches in the last 100 years. (Body mass even more!)

The world never stops evolving; it's a shame that the attitudes of some don't. 

In the fall, when temps drop into the 50s and 60s, we will start to see fur coats show up at the theatre. They are not needed. We will also see some show up in shorts. They too are not needed. But I do not see how  this affects anyone other than the wearer. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#195Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/16/24 at 5:50pm

HogansHero said: "The average July temp in Central Park has increased 6 degrees since 1890 (to 79) and there is no basis for believing it will not push into the 80s.

The average adult male height in the US has increased by 3 inches in the last 100 years. (Body mass even more!)

In the fall, when temps drop into the 50s and 60s, we will start to see fur coats show up at the theatre. They are not needed. We will also see some show up in shorts. They tooare not needed. But I do not see how this affects anyone other than the wearer.
"

I agree with every word here.  However.. there used to be an elegance associated with theater. For me it spilled over to the audience as well. Maybe it is just the way I perceived things when I was younger.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 7/16/24 at 05:50 PM

willep
#196Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/16/24 at 6:03pm

I mean, jeez, has it been below 80 at all this July?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#197Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/16/24 at 7:23pm

DAME said: "HogansHero said: "The average July temp in Central Park has increased 6 degrees since 1890 (to 79) and there is no basis for believing it will not push into the 80s.

In the fall, when temps drop into the 50s and 60s, we will start to see fur coats show up at the theatre. They are not needed. We will also see some show up in shorts. They tooare not needed. But I do not see how this affects anyone other than the wearer.
"

I agree with every word here. However.. there used to be an elegance associated with theater. For me it spilled over to the audience as well. Maybe it is just the way I perceived things when I was younger.
"

There was also a lot of classism associated with that has only gotten worse as the ticket prices have increased.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#198Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/17/24 at 2:34am

Yep.  I remember the days when you used to have to write away for Broadway tickets, list alternate dates, and send a self addressed envelope.  Going to a Broadway show was a big event.  I don't care what people are wearing by the way.  If I am in the city in the summer and go to the theater I dress for comfort. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Videos