News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ok to wear shorts to the theater when it’s 94 degrees out?- Page 5

Ok to wear shorts to the theater when it’s 94 degrees out?

Kvmjjb
#100Shorts
Posted: 6/24/18 at 12:38am

I know it’s not Broadway but... went to the Vienna State Opera last thursday and was turned away for wearing shorts had to go back and change. But 4 Euros for standing room!! Crazy!!

Updated On: 6/24/18 at 12:38 AM

ArtMan
#101Shorts
Posted: 6/24/18 at 8:28am

GavestonPS said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Shorts"

When was the last time any movie lead looked so effortlessly gorgeous as Armie Hammer in CALL ME BY YOUR NAME? We're so used to actors who spend hours per day with their personal trainers! Hammer may do so as well, but in that movie he managed to look like a young man from the days when the All-American young manlooked generally athletic, but not like he'd spent four hours per day on Nautilus machines.
"

Well, since you brought it up.  Armie Hammer may have looked gorgeous in the movie, but he certainly did not look 24 in the film.  He played much older (closer to his real age of 31) and that is why I had a problem with the movie and didn't enjoy it.  I know I am in the minority since most everyone loved this movie.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#102Shorts
Posted: 6/26/18 at 6:47pm

The Liza thread reminded me of this thread.  A few years ago she played the Hollywood Bowl in the middle a heatwave,  She came out at the end in a black tank top and a towel around her neck.  

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#103Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 2:45pm

It is that time of the year again... I never make the right decision.   

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#104Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:02pm

I remember at the closing performance of "Hello, Dolly" last year, many people were in shorts that evening.  And, it wasn't a really, really hot and miserable day.  The weather was perfect - not too hot, and not too cold.  I don't wear shorts at all.  Never have.  

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#105Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:06pm

DAME said: "It is that time of the year again... I never make the right decision. "

It hasn't even been consistently in the 80s here yet let alone in the 90s.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#106Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:14pm

It's perfectly acceptable, and I'd much rather have a quiet person in shorts next to me than a rude/loud/cell phone-using person wearing a tuxedo.

cougarnewtin Profile Photo
cougarnewtin
#107Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:29pm

The short answer? Yes, at least in my opinion.
HOWEVER, I DID get lottery tickets to see Burn This a few weeks ago, and didn’t have time to go home and change into a more formal outfit before the show (was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt while visiting a friend in the city- did NOT want to make an hour train ride there and back just to throw on some khakis). While I’m sure it was fine I did feel woefully underdressed the entire time.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#108Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:34pm

"At this point, what difference does it make?

When you see the way people dress when it's 32 degrees--- as if they've come straight from the gym (perhaps they have); when you see the pictures of how celebrities dress for opening nights, really, at this point, what difference does it make?"

I totally agree with you, going to a Broadway show is no different than going to catch a movie today when it comes to attire of some people.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#109Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 4:05pm

I saw a man at City Center in his 60's wearing very short nylon jogging shorts. He had nice legs for a man of his age but I thought it was a silly choice and I couldn't help wonder if he was all there.

SFFrontRow
#110Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 4:13pm

I personally wouldn't wear running shorts - regular/bermuda style shorts are fine. I wear nice all black running pants that are light material, comfortable, made to breathe.

If I am paying upwards of $150 for a show (some less, some MUCH more), I am going to be comfortable (as long as I don't stink and my clothes don't make noise).

Funny aside... found this old video on youtube. Its from the year of Nine and Dreamgirls and Nicholas Nickleby - at the end it has a piece on marketing and the reporter says "... at $35-$40 a ticket, the advertisers have to find new ways to get people in the theater..." (imagine those "high" prices today... LOL LOL LOL)

ArtMan
#111Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 4:33pm

SmoothLover said: "I saw a man at City Center in his 60's wearing very short nylon jogging shorts. He had nice legs for a man of his age but I thought it was a silly choice and I couldn't help wonder if he was all there."

If you noticed that he had nice legs, he knew exactly what he was doing.

mailhandler777
#112Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 5:10pm

I stopped wearing shorts in a theatre mostly because it's freezing inside and I was super uncomfortable shivering the whole time.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#113Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 6:30pm

SmokeyLady said: "The Liza thread reminded me of this thread. A few years ago she played the Hollywood Bowl in the middle a heatwave, She came out at the end in a black tank top and a towel around her neck."

Not quite sure what your actual meaning was here but when I saw Liza many moons ago she did the same thing-----think the towel was part of her 'costume' to say 'I've worked really hard for you all'.

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#114Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/11/19 at 11:15pm

"While I’m sure it was fine I did feel woefully underdressed the entire time. "

This past weekend, for the first time ever, I  wore Bermuda shorts and an Oxford shirt to a show on and off Broadway. I knew I looked fine, but I had that same feeling still. Surprisingly, or.maybe not, in both houses I was still one of the better dressed patrons.

With what passes for appropriate entertainment and attire in TSQ, I think we can all relax a bit without succumbing to complete slovenliness.

AEA AGMA SM
#115Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:22am

SweetLips22 said: "SmokeyLady said: "The Liza thread reminded me of this thread. A few years ago she played the Hollywood Bowl in the middle a heatwave, She came out at the end in a black tank top and a towel around her neck."

Not quite sure what your actual meaning was here but when I saw Liza many moons ago she did the same thing-----think the towel was part of her 'costume' to say 'I've worked really hard for you all'.
"

It could have also been practical. A quick way to cool off, especially when performing in a heat wave, is to wrap a cool, damp towel around your neck.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#116Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:29am

Shorts are fine. As mentioned above, I’d prefer a well-behaved person in shorts next to me than an ill-behaved person in long pants. Also, many people especially tourists tend to multitask during their day and I don’t think any of us want to sit next to a person who’s been running around the city in clothes that don’t allow for some breathability that make them sweat more.

I personally don’t like the way I look in shorts most of the time so I’ve never worn shorts the theater. But last year when I was there in the heat wave in June, I had to start packing deodorant in my tote bag and then cleaning up and reapplying throughout the day because it was so damn hot

So wear are your shorts. There are ways to dress them up if you’re concerned about being underdressed, but last summer I mainly wore jeans and a T-shirt to shows due to the extreme heat.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#117Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 1:29am

The towel was part of her act--heat wave or not. It was at the end of her show, 'I've worked hard, am sweaty and I'll do the encore with a towel around my neck and use it as a [rehearsed] prop.'---and why not?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#118Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 3:04am

ArtMan said: "SmoothLover said: "I saw a man at City Center in his 60's wearing very short nylon jogging shorts. He had nice legs for a man of his age but I thought it was a silly choice and I couldn't help wonder if he was all there."

If you noticed that he had nice legs, he knew exactly what he was doing.
"

I was being kind.

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#119Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 3:57am

Absolutely you can wear shorts to the theater. As long as you're not naked, anything is acceptable. The idea of having to dress formally only propagates the extraneous issues of class in relation to theater, and any sort of dress code standard being upheld is challenging lower-income opportunities to attend the theater. The space is for anyone and everyone, so where what you want. The bigger concern we should be talking about is the use of PHONES at the theater, not what people are wearing.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#120Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 8:28am

"The bigger concern we should be talking about is the use of PHONES at the theater, not what people are wearing."

There have probably only been a million posts on this board about people using their cell phones during show, I really don't think it needs any more discussion.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#121Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 9:30am

Not all shorts are disrespectful.

Shorts in the theater

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#122Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 4:27pm

"The idea of having to dress formally only propagates the extraneous issues of class in relation to theater, and any sort of dress code standard being upheld is challenging lower-income opportunities to attend the theater."

It has been quite some time since the majority of a theater audience dressed formally for a show. I believe most people would say that "business casual" is the new normal. I think lower income people have something in their wardrobe that would be considered "business casual". 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#123Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 4:42pm

I wear shorts if it's hot. I wears jeans if it's not.  I'm there to sit in the dark and see a show.  Why on earth would I care what other people think of my choice in leg coverings.  It's ridiculous.  All I ask is that it doesn't light up and/or make noise.  Beyond that, it really doesn't matter.  Disrespectful people dress up all the time.  It means nothing.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#124Shorts in the theater
Posted: 6/12/19 at 4:52pm

Mister Matt said: "I wear shorts if it's hot. I wears jeans if it's not. I'm there to sit in the dark and see a show. Why on earth would I care what other people think of my choice in leg coverings. It's ridiculous. All I ask is that it doesn't light up and/or make noise. Beyond that, it really doesn't matter. Disrespectful people dress up all the time. It means nothing."

Matt;  I thought last week that Chicago audiences were very well dressed .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Videos