News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ok to wear shorts to the theater when it’s 94 degrees out?- Page 7

Ok to wear shorts to the theater when it’s 94 degrees out?

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#150Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 9:48am

No one there will actually give a crap or even notice.

However theaters are often very cold so even though it may be 95 out, it’ll be freezing inside and you’ll wish you did have pants! I saw Rock and Roll Man on Wednesday, and even though I was wearing pants and a button down shirt I was shivering the entire time.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

OhHiii
#151Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 10:20am

Theatre dress codes are antiquated and classist. As long as your outfit doesn't have lights or bells and whistles that will disrupt the performance, wear whatever you want.

hearthemsing22
#152Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 10:28am

Please wear whatever you are comfortable in. I believe a lot of show websites also address dress code questions on their websites in the FAQ sections. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#153Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 12:06pm

Keep it classy and wear whatever you'd like. 

Updated On: 7/28/23 at 12:06 PM

Owen22
#154Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 12:13pm

I find I can wear shorts down to about 47 degrees. I am always in (and love) shorts if it's that temperature and above, so I am almost ALWAYS at the theatre, unashamedly, in shorts.

Zeppie2022
#155Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 12:33pm

There are plenty of lightweight long pants out there you can wear and be comfortable in the heat. I bought several pairs when I was going to Italy years ago and doing a tour of the Vatican. You can't wear shorts in there and it was close to 100 degrees when I was in Rome at that time. I have seen people wear shorts at shows and nobody has said a thing about it, so do whatever makes you comfortable.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#156Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 1:34pm

The fact that the OP even bothered to ask makes me a fan of them.

I always say dress for the theatre as how you feel for the occasion. That said, with theatre seats tightly packed, I'm not a fan of rubbing arms with someone in a tank top or legs with a short short. Or behind someone with a big hand or big hair. There used to be common sense, not so much anymore.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

OhHiii
#157Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/28/23 at 2:23pm

everythingtaboo said: "The fact that the OP even bothered to ask makes me a fan of them.

I always say dress for the theatre as how you feel for the occasion. That said, with theatre seats tightly packed, I'm not a fan of rubbing arms with someone in a tank top or legs with a short short. Or behind someone with a big hand or big hair. There used to be common sense, not so much anymore.
"

It is almost 100 degrees in New York City today. "Common sense" would say wear appropriate clothing for the weather, so...

alovingfan Profile Photo
alovingfan
#158Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/29/23 at 5:10pm

The Body Odor at the Nederlander theater this afternoon was unbearable.  They were cranking the air.  Not sure what else they could do.  But those seats are tight and everyone is on top of each other.  Kind of gross.   Energy in the audience was definitely muted.  YES ON THE SHORTS!

BETTY22
#159Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/29/23 at 5:17pm

YES. YES. YES 

Enjoy the show 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#160Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/29/23 at 7:42pm

You're paying often over $100 for the privilege to see theatre, where whatever you want. If it won't get you kicked out of a store, then have at it.

kurtal
#161Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/31/23 at 10:26am

I would much rather sit next to someone in shorts and a tank top who is well behaved than someone who is dressed to the nines but is drunk or on the phone or talking to their friends or singing along.

Wear whatever the damn you want.  And if anyone judges you, screw them.

B212323
#162Shorts in the theater
Posted: 8/1/23 at 7:08pm

Shorts are fine - as long as you're clean and your outfit doesn't distract from others you're good. Theaters do get cold though. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#163Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/10/24 at 2:28am

It is that time.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

hearthemsing22
#164Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/10/24 at 8:21am

DAME said: "It is that time."

Oh no- are people wearing shorts but not deodorant so it smells funky in the audience??

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#165Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/10/24 at 8:33am

If you are looking to wear shorts but still feel a little fancy, my tip is to wear them with loafers. Just looks instantly more put together but still staying cool.Shorts in the theater

Updated On: 7/10/24 at 08:33 AM

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#166Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/10/24 at 8:40am

I think about this thread often because I live in Houston and our real feel summer temperatures hover in the neighborhood of 110. It's hot as hell (and at the moment most of us don't have electricity after the storm, but that's a topic for another thread). People tend to dress more conservatively at the big theaters that support touring shows than they do in New York. That said, there is a sizable contingency, myself included, that wear shorts or whatever else it takes to be comfortable. I like to think that our love for theater surpasses the desire to conform to antiquated customs that no longer have any relevance.

Do what you want. Don't judge others. Ignore those who judge you. Grasp life's moments of joy. Shorts included.  

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#167Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/10/24 at 9:37am

During summer evenings in NYC, I wear nice cotton shorts, short sleeve Lacoste/polo shirt, loafers and a blazer (that I can take off if I’m too toasty). I feel beyond comfortable and I’m appropriately dressed for any high end spot or Broadway show.

As long as you make the effort to look polished, you can pull off anything anywhere and you look great. 

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#168Shorts in the theater
Posted: 12/31/99 at 7:06pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "During summer evenings in NYC, I wear nice cotton shorts, short sleeve Lacoste/polo shirt, loafers and a blazer (that I can take off if I’m too toasty). I feel beyond comfortable and I’m appropriately dressed for any high end spot or Broadway show.

As long as you make the effort to look polished, you can pull off anything anywhere and you look great.
"

From what you’re wearing; it sounds like we could be twins.  Or one of those cute couples that wear matching outfits.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#169Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/10/24 at 4:12pm

Just bumping this because something messed up with the posting time of the previous comment so the thread disappeared. 

Updated On: 7/10/24 at 04:12 PM

verywellthensigh
#170Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/10/24 at 10:17pm

Short it up!  But careful of spontaneous combustion.

Shorts in the theater

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#171Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 8:13am

I will wear want I want, when I want.  If I am paying $400 a ticket or $72 a ticket, I am going to be comfortable. I don't care what any of these fussy queens have to say.  

MasterThespian 2
#172Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 11:20am

The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top. 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#173Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 11:27am

MasterThespian 2 said: "The slobification of America continues. Why stop at shorts? Make sure you also wear flip flops and a tank top."

Why not indeed? You want to Theatre just for the upper crust again then prepare for it to just not exist. I'm sorry that you have to exist in the same auditorium with people who don't bring their finest gowns and suits with them to NYC and don't have a car to call to take them to the theatre so they don't have to take train. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#174Shorts in the theater
Posted: 7/11/24 at 11:33am

Only the most insufferable individuals police other people’s choice of outfit at the theater.

Videos