News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Movie Musicals being planned- Page 4

Movie Musicals being planned

binau Profile Photo
binau
#75re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 3:53am

"PLEASE I hope Tim Burton does not go ANYWHERE near Into the Woods. Seriously, he'd ruin it. He'd cast that Helena chick as the witch or baker's Wife and claim she auditioned and got the part on her own merit. Please, really, please don't. hehe "

Like he ruined Sweeney Todd? I think Tim Burton would be one of few that would target "Into the woods" to the right audience, and not make it cheesy. But don't worry anyway, he said himself he'll never do another musical..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#76re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 8:00am

There is no way Wicked will be released in 2010. It's going to be a pretty epic movie without the musical aspect alone, add in all the extra rehearsing and recording time that movie musicals take - you're talking 2012? Thats probably your best bet.

Cast wise;
Elphaba - I really think its a good idea to have an 'introducing...' star, a la Jennifer Hudson + Nikki Blonskey. Menzel could work, but time is running out for her suitability.

Glinda - Amy Adams would be good (age wise) opposite Menzel, she hasn't got the best voice, but she would be a great performance.

Fiyero - I'm not sure about this, a Zac Efron type is too young for my leading lady suggestions and a James Marsden type is too old to be believable. He needs to be a name though. I'm thinking someone 'ethnic' - true to the book.

Nessarose - Anne Hathaway, easy.

Morrible - Bette Midler really would be great.

Wizard - When in doubt, throw in a name. Not too bothered.

...and so it goes on.

#77re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 8:38am

"I think people are forgetting how old Norma Desmond really is. She is only 50. While Meryl is only 59 now, if filming is not going to be commencing soon, which it isn't, well, she's not getting any younger. Same goes for Glenn Close, and Babs (who I can not possibly see in that role). "

The thing is 50 in 1951 when the movie came out is like what 65 (or maybe even a tiny bit older) is now in terms of actresses. I know it's still set in 1951 but modern audiences already often gasp when they hear Gloria Swanson talk about losing her career at her age, etc--I think someone 15 years older, especially someone who looks like Streep, could do well in the role. I know it's nutty, but I still want Liza for it...

#78re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 8:44am

"This is strange...I guess...but I've always wanted Spielberg to direct a musical film. "

I haven't. I think he's often a great director but is way too heavy handed and even literal to do songs well.

"There was a musical that Disney was going to make of Rapunzel, with Kristen Chenoweth. It was, I believe, scheduled for 2008 or 2009. I followed it for a while in the data base, but gave up after a year or so. This was back in 2005. They had a lot of artwork on the web. "

yep it's still very much being made, for 2010. Glen Keane is directing, and it will be CGI but with a revolutionary hand drawn/watercolor look that looks gorgeous. Menken was at one time doing the songs but last i heard Jeanine Tesori was in charge. I'm really excited from all the preliminaries.

Muhlethaler
#79re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 11:31am

Updated On: 6/18/20 at 11:31 AM

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#80re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 11:51am

P.S - Universal not Paramount would be producing "Wicked"...

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#81re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 6:25pm

I think Caberet would be a great choice to take to the screen with Sam Mendes. His vision for the stage amplified for the camera would be incredible. Of course Alan Cumming and Natasha Richardson would have to recreate their roles. I think the old Caberet movie is different enough to warrent a new movie. Also, I could see Joel Grey as Herr Schultz.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#82re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 8:44pm

MrSweetNAwful, I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not but I think Amy Adams would be a fabulous Cinderella in ITW.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#83re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 9:07pm

nope, i'm super cereal, I think Burton would make a pretty good film of ITW and actors in his repertoire could fit some of the roles (SJP, Catherine O'Hara, Albert Finney, Joanna Lumley, Tracy Ullman)

and along with Adam I'd love to see Mendes' Cabaret on film, with Cumming, although they'd probably recast Sally with bigger name Catherine Zeta-Jones. Joel Grey would be genius as Herr Shultz.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 09:07 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#84re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 9:14pm

Anne Hathaway is a movie star.

She's a front-runner for a Best Actress Oscar this year.

She has no other competition for Elphaba in her league in Hollywood.

Unless she's busy, or doesn't want to do it, she will get the part.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#85re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 9:43pm

Whoever suggested Lucas Grabeel as Boq, you just made my life. I adore him, I think he's such a great singer and IMHO the best part of the HSM franchise.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#86re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/17/08 at 10:09pm

haha, well, since they probably wont make it for a while... i think they should choose ashley tisdale for galinda!

absolute_taboo Profile Photo
absolute_taboo
#87re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/19/08 at 10:16am

i heard Cabaret was being remade? i think Burton would do wonders to the remake of this film. especially if they do it anything like the new london production. but as for ITW, i think he should leave it alone also!
Going onto Wicked, Adam Garcia was in the original london cast playing Fiyero (and did a pretty crappy job at it!) i wouldn't be suprised if he gets cast to be honest. and as for Elphaba, why not get Kerry Ellis or Julia Murney or someone thats actually played Elphaba? i think to many big names is a bad idea anyway, i mean, i loved Hairspray, but it was too much. I say give it to true Musical Theatre actors who desearve the roles and the money, instead of a big name who probably has 200 other films going on at the same time. I don't think its a suitable movie choice anyway, the spectacle of what you get on stage will be lost. Miss Saigon though would be awesome.

Anaevianne2
#88re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/19/08 at 10:47am

I agree with absolute_taboo that they should cast someone who actually played Elphaba as Elphaba. I'm all for Teal Wicks as movie Elphaba! Still, I doubt it will happen. They will probably cast a 'name' like Anne Hathaway though I don't think she would suit the part at all. She just seems so... Disney Princess-y. Too perky and happy-go-lucky for Elphaba, maybe Glinda if she had the soprano range? I do like the idea of her as Nessarose though.

Lucas Grabeel in Wicked is an inspired choice :) Perfect for Boq, though if they end up casting very young - and I guess it would need to be extremely young - I could definitely see him as Fiyero.

And someone needs to tell Sasha Fierce that she needs to stay away from Aida. Like one thousand miles away. I'm convinced she'd be horrible.
Updated On: 11/19/08 at 10:47 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#89re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/19/08 at 11:35am

hey will probably cast a 'name' like Anne Hathaway though I don't think she would suit the part at all. She just seems so... Disney Princess-y. Too perky and happy-go-lucky for Elphaba

Have you seen her in RACHEL GETTING MARRIED (for which she is gaining some well-deserved Oscar buzz), BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN or HAVOC? Because if you had, you probably wouldn't have made that inaccurate statement. There's no reason to cast any of the people who have played the role before in the movie, nobody knows who they are, nobody knows whether they can even act on film (except for Idina Menzel and Ana Gasteyer), and nobody cares to see them in the film version over a movie star like Anne Hathaway--except for the WICKED tweens and fans.

I'd love to see a Sam Mendes-directed CABARET with wife Kate Winslet as Sally Bowles.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Pianolin717
#90re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:20pm

kate winslet? oh no!
if there was a cabaret movie remake (which there should be, and made better)
than i think zeta jones would be really good for it!!

and, for the color purple movie, i know fantasia is going to be in it, but any chance queen latifah, or jennifer hudson are in it?

absolute_taboo Profile Photo
absolute_taboo
#91re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:57pm

I disagree ray-andallthatjazz86, look at Nikki Blonsky, ok, so she never played the role before, but she was new and fresh amongst all these big names. i personally think she soured way above anyone else in that movie. I just think having to many big names in a musical movie takes away the essense of that movie. So what if it penalises your audience. Musical theatre doesn't appeal to everyone anyway, so let the REAL professionals do the work whilst the stars do what they do. another thing i heard was that Sweet Charity was to be remade with Christina Applegate as Charity?! And as for Kate Winslet as Sally Bowles...HELL NO!!! Zeta Jones is to old now i think.

esparza 333
#92re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/19/08 at 9:06pm

I hope Amy Adams becomes Glinda she even san What is this Feeling on SNL. i agree that Anne Hathaway would never accept Nessarose especially if she is Oscar Winner Anne Hathaway by then.

As far as Cabaret goes i think Jane Krakowski would be a wonderful choice for Sally since she is famous on the silver screen and has the experience to be brilliant.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

Pianolin717
#93re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/19/08 at 9:16pm

oh and for Aida... yeah def do NOT want beyonce or sasha fierce.... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but I can atleast agree with Christina Aguilera
but NO BEYONCE/SF!!!!!!!!!

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#94re: Movie Musicals being planned
Posted: 11/21/08 at 4:13pm

"and, for the color purple movie, i know fantasia is going to be in it, but any chance queen latifah, or jennifer hudson are in it? "

Pianolin, I like Queen Latifah but I think I'm done seeing her in movie musicals.

I am thinking a Cabaret Movie Remake discussion probably deserves it's own thread. I think there would be a lot of opinons on that.

Videos