News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!- Page 3

Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#50re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:14pm

Well, ya gotta point there BT11!

PEACE.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#51re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:17pm

I don't think she should be afraid to respond. Not at all. I happen to agree with Suleen that she is probably a normal 20 year old girl on the road with a tour.

And perhaps, just perhaps, she may say 'Wow, I never thought my writing about my food habits could produce a negative response.'

I'll be the first to say I poked fun at Juliana's writing. But I think there is nothing in this post she should fear. People have used what she has written as a way to talk about a very serious problem facing young people, male and female, actors or not, today. And THAT, my friends, is something positive that can come out of her journal.

Did I just write that?

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

FindingNamo
#52re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:23pm

Okay. Thank you Robbiej for the above post; it shows me that somebody was able to see the point I was trying to make. I was wondering if there was a major problem with reading comprehension around here or if I were writing completely inarticulately.

Maybe we just speak the same language, but your post said exactly what I have been trying to say all along.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BwayTheatre11
#53re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:24pm

Please, robbiej, please! That is so rediculous!!! Well we should all send Juliana an email and let her know that she just made Bwayworld.com memebers so much more aware of eating disorders among young performers today. SHE DOES NOT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER!!!! SHE IS NOT GOING TO WRITE ABOUT EVERY FOOD ITEM SHE EATS!!!! and Finding Namo, than you should have wrote that to begin with!!!

CCM '10!
Updated On: 8/18/03 at 05:24 PM

mamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
#54 re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:29pm

Namo... apparently there is a problem on the board with reading comprehension.

Perhaps Juliana should address this in her next journal entry. While she's at it, maybe she can tackle the very serious subject of illiteracy in this country.

BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#55re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:31pm

Oh Namo, I saw your point, too, and totally agree with you. It was the people who thought you were attacking Jules personally that totally missed your point.

PEACE.

BwayTheatre11
#56re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:33pm

Than post it on my BRAND NEW! thread, Eating Disorders. Not in a Juliana thread!

CCM '10!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#57re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:39pm

Oh come on now, Sammy.

Why would she need to do that when help is merely a phone call away? 1-800-ABCDEFG. re:  re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!

I, as many of us who are over the age of 22, have seen a lot of friends go through problems with eating disorders. It is not easy.

Let me tell you something. When I was a senior in college, I had teachers tell me I'd never work until I lost weight. I was 5'9" and 160 lbs. No normal person would say I'm fat, but that's what I was told. In that same school I watched friends take semesters off from school to receive treatment for anorexia and bulimia. My best friend just did a children's tour and was so afraid of gaining weight that he barely ate and came back emaciated, with dark circles under his eyes. He's balanced himself out, but it is a scary thing.

I have stated repeatedley that I do not think this girl has an eating disorder. How could I truly form an opinion when I don't know her? But the fact that her journal caused this hubub is rather remarkable and I wish people would join in the discussion.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

FindingNamo
#58re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:41pm

"and Finding Namo, than you should have wrote that to begin with!!!"

If you go back and reread my first post in the thread, 11, you will see that I did say it. "I know people would probably not believe this, but I am serious. I am actually getting concerned about Juliana's food issues: Our culture does such a number on young women, and young women whose bodies are the 'instruments of their art' suffer more than most..."

I then went on to detail how I felt the column added to the cultural messages to young women that are harmful. I never attempted to diagnose Juliana. I said I thought that her message could be damaging to the countless young people who look up to her and feel connected to her through her journal.

At the very least, try not to criticize me for not doing something that I, in fact, did. AND your point about a thread on eating disorders would in fact be an off-topic thread and people would be writing, "I thought this was a theater board, aren't we supposed to be writing about theater?" Juliana's food issues (which is what I called them, I didn't say "disease" or "illness" or "anorexic") are in fact very on topic in a thread promoting the document in which the issues manifest.

BwayTheatre11
#59re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:42pm

Post this in the thread, Eating Disorders, please.

CCM '10!

FindingNamo
#60re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:45pm

You didn't actually read what I just wrote above, did you 11? How is that thread you started theater related? This thread obviously is. And who made you the thread police?

Updated On: 8/18/03 at 05:45 PM

BwayTheatre11
FindingNamo
#62re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:53pm

Please.

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#63re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:33pm

You know, IF I got the inkling that Namo's post was really meant to draw attention to a potential problem with eating disorders, or that you could correlate Juliana's habits to possibly contributing to, or inflencing disorders with other young people, then that would would be fine, and her concerns would be legitimate, and her arguement would be a very good one.

However, I feel that this wasn't the case at all, and to avoid looking like someone who is relentless, obsessed, pathetic and immature, by finding any excuse to make a weak, and disparaging comment towards someone he/she/it doesn't know on the internet Namo decides that she was "concerned" about this issue, and the potential it has to influence others. BULL.

Anyway, robbiej, I too have been told the same thing before in college, however, your case seems to be VERY severe, and I think whoever told you that had a problem, being that the weight you stated you were was not overweight in the slightest.

As for the whole notion of not getting work AT ALL because you are overweight....that's BULLSH*T. Now, if someone told an aspiring actor/actress that they need to lose weight to get a CERTAIN TYPE of role, that is more understandable, but for someone to tell you that you will never get work at all because you are a certain size, is clearly stupid, and ignorant. You just have to know your type and how you fit into the "big picture" when auditioning. And trust me, I know what I speak of, because I am out there, and have gotten work, and I am far from skinny or thin. It's like Marissa Jaret Winokur said to me when we had a talk after a peformance of Hairspay..."It is a business, but you can make it if you are determined enough and have the talent - but remember...you also have to know your TYPE." And she is so right about that, people get the misconception that you have to be extremely thin, and sexy to make it in the theatre world....it makes life a HELL of a lot easier, if you are, but don't think that you cannot make it at all if you do not fall into the mold. Ok, that is the end of my rant/testimony.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#64re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:41pm

MamaMiaSammy - That is FANTASTIC to hear! Congratulations on that BIG accomplishment! re: re: re: re: re: re: re:  re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

mamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
#65re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:46pm

Thank you!

BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#66re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:50pm

Balladeer, anyone whith half a brain knows you are right. And I believe that was Namo's point. That so many young people think they can only succeed if they are thin, beautiful and straight.
And that very young people may read J's journal and say "Hey, I need to skip breakfast and go to the gym instead or I will never get to B'way" is a very real concern. So maybe we did get a bit O/T here but the older posters on this board who have been around really have the younger people's intrest at heart. After all when we are much older and greyer, we want to be able to say, "Wow, Wouldn't Julianne make a great Mrs. Lovett? I really want to see her do it. She has turned into a great singing actor and would be great in this role now that she is the right age. And it is about time we had a SEXY Lovett."

PEACE.

swishysarah
#67re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:55pm

Ready set let's drop it.

It's not worth arguing over anymore, everyone has a point, whether it be valid or not, and if we keep this up, nothing good is going to happen.

If you want to talk about it, please figure out how to IM each other and keep it private.

Please?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#68re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:58pm

Oh, Swishy, you are no fun at all!

I love your name, though.

PEACE.

swishysarah
DofB5
#70 Juliana's Journal - En
Posted: 8/18/03 at 7:37pm

Was looking at the number of posts since I left the board last night at about 9. Wow! Don't you people work? Or is everyone here a night owl?

"You know, IF I got the inkling that Namo's post was really meant to draw attention to a potential problem with eating disorders, or that you could correlate Juliana's habits to possibly contributing to, or influencing disorders with other young people, then that would be fine, and HER concerns would be legitimate, and HER argument would be a very good one."

Just one burning question is left here as far as I'm concerned--Her? Namo is a her? I was always under the impression he was a errr....he! I beg your pardon, Namo, if I was wrong all this time. I honestly thought you were a male--no disrespect intended.

I guess I don't pick up on those kind of things very well. I totally missed the red flags as well. Being a Taurus, you would think if there were any, I'd be on top of them. Oy.

D

Updated On: 8/18/03 at 07:37 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#71re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 7:38pm

But actually, Swishy, a lot of good can come of it. You may be tired of this thread, and although we make light of it, it is an important topic in the arts community. And really could do a lot of good to some people with low self esteem and a great deal of talent.

PEACE.

BwayTheatre11
#72re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 9:26pm

Swishy is right! Let's drop it. This is not fun at all!

CCM '10!

lass
#73re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 10:34pm

Dof,

Namo is a macho man. Don't feel bad, I didn't realize the old MMS was a girl until a few weeks ago. Or am *I* wrong now?

FindingNamo
#74re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Juliana's Journal - Entry #18 now online!
Posted: 8/18/03 at 11:40pm

11: You tell people to skip the threads they don't want to read or that are about topics (such as the same old casting ideas over and over) that bug them ALL THE TIME. Time for you to do the same thing. Attempting to move the thread to another thread does nothing. Just skip this one if it upsets you, take your own dang advice. Surely there will be a Juliana's #19 thread started up any moment now.

Balladeer: As I stated in the first post I made to this thread: "I know people would probably not believe this, but I am serious." There's obviously nothing I can do to convince you, you have your hunch and I have told you my truth. Believe it or don't, I can't control it. I have six nieces from their early '30s to their mid and late teens and an 11 year old, and one niece with a three year old daughter. I see what growing up in this culture does to girls. If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend you read Mary Pipher's book, "Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls." It really opened a lot of people's eyes when it was published, and the Ophelia of the title gives this thread yet ANOTHER theater connection (one I am sure escapes BT11).

The psychology of girls and young women is something that has interested me professionally and also personally with so many female relations who are important to me. If that doesn't meet your approval as to why I would care about what gets put out there to a fairly impressionable demographic group, I'm sorry. As you can see if you bother to read what I have read, I never said there was a direct correlation between the journal and readers' behavior. I asked if people mind being part of the overall cultural dynamic that does. And some people have said that no they do not and it is not something they care to think about it.

Some people think why bother speaking up at all, it's a system that can not be changed? But I really do believe that change happens incrementally, in tiny steps. And even if you don't trust me, this thread has given some people who are not me the opportunity to talk about the pressures they have felt to conform to rigid body images. So that's good.

I do believe that the reason SOME PEOPLE, well, one in particular, have come at me from such a defensive posture is that they realize I do have a point a really resent the implications.

To summarize, YET AGAIN:

1. I never said Juliana has an eating disorder.
2. I did say the journal is part of an overall aspect of our culture that physically oppresses women and girls.
3. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Updated On: 8/19/03 at 11:40 PM

Videos