News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Jonathan Larson

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#25re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 5:50pm

I have to say that Jonathan's work has been effecting my life in bigger and better ways for a full year. Maybe that's not as long as it's been affecting some of you. I go on about how Rent has made me better or how Jonathan did something truly amazing (which it has and he did), but those four little, oft-repeated words say it so much better.

Thank you, Jonathan Larson.

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#26re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 5:54pm

Thank You.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#27re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 6:06pm

I don't even know what to say, really. The first time I saw RENT was January 25,2005. It affected me in a big way. I was very moved and inspired by the whole thing. I think what Footlooser said was also very accurate. This may not be true for everyone, but Jonathan DID give us (or me, at least) hope that dreams can come true. I just want to say (to Jon,reading from his "laptop computer in heaven" as RentBoy said)as many of you have already said:

Thank you, Jonathan Larson.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

#28re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 6:17pm

I was reading the RENT book and I remember someone said that Jonathan Larson wanted to change one sentence, but he never got the chance to because he died the next day. That to me is such a symbol. I think it means that RENT is never truly completed, and it will never be. But Jonathan Larson keeps that spirit alive.

opiv Profile Photo
opiv
#29re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 6:41pm

Thank you Jonathan

"I feel god in this chili's..."

FindingNamo
#30re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 6:58pm

"My sediments are much like Ems."

Somewhere, Jonathan is smiling.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#31re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:00pm

just like so many others, i don't know what to say except thank you Jonathan.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#32re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:00pm

I wasn't gonna say it, Namo.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#33re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:02pm

Jonathan Larson has been and will always be my favorite man in musical theatre. I respect him so much for what he did, and what he is still doing, even after his passing.

starletta8
#34re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:10pm

Much like others before me in this thread, I don't know exactly what to say.

So, I'll leave it short and sweet: Thank You.

Thank you for your creations, and for inspiring so many others.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#35re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:11pm

There's only us
There's only this ...
Forget regret or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today

I would like to think he knows how many people around the globe were touched by these words.
I can't think of another few words of lyrics, that have ever touched me like this has.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#36re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:16pm

Wow- these entries are so touching! I just got home from school and it has made my night. Light a candle tonight everyone! re: Jonathan Larson

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

#37re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:37pm

Whenever i'm asked if i could meet any significant person in history, Jonathon Larson is the first person to come to my mind. You truly were amazing.

Thank you Jonathon Larson.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#38re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:45pm

Wow, i have goosebumps even opening and reading this thread. I love our BWW community, we're all so caring and thankful.

Thank you Jonathan for your wonderful gifts you've blessed us with. You will never be forgetten, neither will your music nor your writing. My one true wish would be to meet you Jonathan.

I'm lighting my candle tonight.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#39re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:51pm

kudos to that- Mines already burning! I love these boards!

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Broadway4Life2
#40re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:53pm

I've only been a fan since the movie came out but I feel the exact same way all of you do. So many people just mistaken RENT for some dumb musical. Yes, they're right about the musical part but it is certainly NOT dumb. It is the most inspirational thing I've seen. It taught me more about life than anybody or anything else could. I remember crying all 5 times I saw it in theaters. I remember smiling from ear to ear (and crying) seeing Jesse perform I'll Cover You (Reprise). That to me, and I know all of you agree, is one of the many beautiful moments in the show. I remember laughing hysterically at Anthony's strange antics. I remember wanting desperately to jump up in the theater and dance along to La Vie Boheme. But most of all I remember the music Jonathan wrote and the beautiful story he shared with us all. They say you won't become a true fan until you see the show (I have tickets for April Fool's Day) and I'm starting to agree. But I think it's safe to say you don't have to see the show to feel appreciation for what Jonathan did. Just seeing the film did it for me. RENT will forever be the thing that changed my life. I relate to every aspect of it. It teaches you to take those 525,600 minutes and live them to the fullest. RENT is love, struggle, triumph, life, hope, and believing in yourself and those you love. We fans will make sure to spread RENT love in order for it to live on. But I think the proper way to do this is to acknowledge the genius that is Jonathan Larson.

No Other Road
No Other Way
No Day But Today

RIP Jonathan. THANK YOU.

Showgirl16
#41re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:56pm

i think we all feel like we know him personally through his aubiographical rent and tick tick boom. and we can all thank him for giving us two very amazing musicals. im glad there are so many other people wo care!!!

Showgirl16
#42re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:56pm

i think we all feel like we know him personally through his aubiographical rent and tick tick boom. and we can all thank him for giving us two very amazing musicals. im glad there are so many other people wo care!!!

mauriposa
#43re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:18pm

It's already been said about 42 times, but . . .

Thank you, Jonathan Larson. I can honestly say that my life wouldn't be the same if it weren't for you.

MarkCohen
#44re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 10:03pm

You've changed my life, for real.

Thank you, Jon.

"What does it take, to wake up a generation?"

Jonathan Larson - February 4/1960 - January 25/1996.

Jyn326
#45re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 10:37pm

Thank you...

saschasf
#46re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/06 at 12:52am

The way I first heard about Johnathon Larson was in 1997, when I haears, incorrectly, that he died of AIDS and written about his experiences. I had worked with AIDS patients, has friends whho died of the disease, so this interested me. When I found out the real story, the musical,became something I knew I must see. I love musicals in general. I think most are fun,a couple OI've seen had political undertones, but I didn't think about a playwright I wanted to be friends with. After seeing Ren, I fwlt incredibly sad I never had the chance to meet him, and that his life was cut so short. It is a testammt to his work pwople who knew him still hol him in such high regatd. In Rent, Mark Cohen, has to secide whether to sacrifice his creativity, in order to, you know, earn a living. (Not squatting is a good thing!:) Mark eventuallly finds his voice as a filmaker and dumps his tobloid show job. Wiith Johnathon, you can tell his heaty and soul is in Rent, and he has legions of fas who love him for that. Rent shows that you be true to youself, and still succeed in the traditional sense,

There arre several reasons I want to read Anthony Rapp's book, but hearing about the workshop days of Rent is definitely a big part of it. Thank you Johnathon Larson for always making me laugh during Take me or Leave Me, and for making me cry during "I'll Cover You (reprise)" Thank you to the gentle Johnathon Larson, you will always live in my heeart.

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#47re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/06 at 1:23am

I had to post it. From the Rent Bible.

"The second act ended. There was a huge standing ovation, the cast slowly left the stage, and the audience stayed in the theater. No one was sure what to do. The cast returned and sat down in the first row. Finally, a single voice called from the audience, 'Thank you, Jonathan Larson,' which brought the evening's loudest, final burst of applause."

www.kickfornick.com

MUNKY Profile Photo
MUNKY
#48re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/06 at 1:38am

Thank you for the dreams, the strenght, & the hope in my life. Things will never be the same, and I thank you for that.

Thank you Jonathan Larson.

"Now I may not have much, but I have more determination than any man you're likely to meet." - Big Fish
"Misdirection. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes." - Swordfish

#49re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/06 at 1:50am

I too echo everyone's warm sentiments about Jonathan Larson and wish there would have been more time for him to create.
I know many are fans of Raul Esparsa and Jonathan, and I just found this about a week ago; an interview Raul did around the time Chitty opened... but in it, he talks about doing Tick Tick boom and what an experience it was for him. He starts to cry during the interview and it is really moving, and a great way to reminice about Jonathan Larson.
DT
Raul is the 5th interview down

Videos