News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Jonathan Larson

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#0Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:27am

Today is the 10th anniversary of Jonathan Larson's last day on Earth. I hope everyone in this community will think a few kind words his way on the 24th and 25th.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

chaschap
#1re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:38am

I knew Jonathan back at Adelphi University. He was one year ahead of me and I appeared in his production of El Libro de Buen Amor and was cast in Sacrimoralinority. Jonathan was a tender, genuine, talented individual then and his gentle beauty shines through in RENT. The world was robbed when we lost Jonathan. Here's hoping RENT lives on forever!

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#2re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:38am

Jonathan Larson
February 7, 1960 - January 25, 1996
".. but it was us baby, who were the lucky ones."
re: Jonathan Larson
Each time I see RENT at the Nederlander theater, I feel at home. I'm comfortable, I'm warm, and I'm happy. What's on the outside is insignificant compared to the magic inside. To the naked eye, RENT is nothing special. Just another theater among many others on broadway. Just another show, just another musical. But for so many of us, RENT is proof that magic exists. RENT helps us to cope, and RENT helps us to understand life and to measure our life in how much love we put out, and how much love comes back to us. The heartbreak of RENT is knowing that the person who gave us all of this happiness, never had the opportunity to feel at home inside that theatre. As silly as it may be, it makes me sad to know that Jon never laughed at the "newbies" who just think the theater is undergoing renovations, or glare at the conservatives who leave immediately after Mark's mom utters the word "lesbian." Jonathan Larson never put his feet up on the edge of the stage while sitting in the front row. He never ordered a drink from the bar. He never sat in the "key seat." All of these things, to me, are things that he should've experienced, no matter how "pointless" they may seem. Jon never got to see his show be made into a film. He never got to see how much it means to all of it's fans..and never saw how close we all followed this movie in anticipation for that wonderful date-- 11.23.05--.

But then you sit in that seat, and you see that show, and by the time it's over - you can't think about what Jonathan Larson never got to experience in that seat. Because Jonathan Larson lives through that music, through the passion. He lives through those fans that see the show time after time after time, and not because of one meaningless performer - but because of the show itself. Because of the music, and the message, and the way it makes you feel before, during, after, and always. And Jonathan sees, and he knows. He lives through his own immortal words - no day but today. Thank you, Jonathan Larson.

And for today, well, live it - because Jonathan Larson never will.
re: Jonathan Larson

Updated On: 1/24/06 at 08:38 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#3re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:46am

I remember sitting on the Subway and reading of his passing and just losing it.
"Seasons of Love" to his Family, Friends and Fans.

jlc6314 Profile Photo
jlc6314
#4re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 9:13am

I know Rent means so much to me and so many others. It's a tragedy that such a great man, with such passion and life, was taken from the world. But as far as I'm concerned, he will always be alive in the words that he wrote that affect so many people. Thank you, Jonathon Larson.

No day but today.
Updated On: 1/24/06 at 09:13 AM

AnnaB Profile Photo
AnnaB
#5re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 9:21am

I only saw 'Rent' for the 1st time just over a month ago; it was deliberately left as my final show for our 1st trip to New York. Just sitting in that theatre, as corny as it sounds, during La Vie Boheme it felt as if Jonathan was actually there with us all. I am so happy that his creation, 10 years on, continues to bring his memory alive at every performance.

It was an honor to have seen his work live at the theatre where it began, where Jonathan watched his baby being born into Broadway history.

Rest in Peace, Jonathan. You have touched millions and will always be in the hearts and minds of every one of us.
You are so dearly missed.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#6re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 9:48am

Technically tomorrow is the anniversary, but I am glad this thread was started early =) Jonathan will never be forgotten!!

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#7re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 10:02am

EverythingisRENT, I think Katurian meant that today is the 10th anniversary of his last FULL day on Earth, and we should keep him in our thoughts today for that reason and tomorrow for the anniversary of his passing... =

Thank You, Jonathan Larson.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 10:08am

I have no idea what to say. I just... I don't know. Except for... well, thank you.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

caitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
#9re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 10:29am

My sediments are much like Ems. I have no idea what to say, words cannot express what I am thinking so I am not gonig to try.

Thank you Jonathon Larson, thank you.

Bohemian1232 Profile Photo
Bohemian1232
#10re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 10:33am

Thank you Jonathan Larson. You have brought all of us so much happiness.

"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead."

RentBoy86
#11re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 11:52am

You've done such great things for the theater and if you're reading this on your laptop computer from heaven, just know that we all love ya and thanks for your many gifts.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#12re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 12:14pm

I can't even begin to describe how much Jonathan's work has meant to me, and I know I'm just one of the many. He was truly talented, passionate individual.

katygrace84 Profile Photo
katygrace84
#13re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 12:27pm

Thank you, Jonathan Larson. We can never fully repay you for the awesome gift you have given us.

renthead112305 Profile Photo
renthead112305
#14re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 1:21pm

Thank you Jonathan for giving us such a life changing gift. You are missed, and once again thank you.

"Grief does not expire like a candle or the beacon on a lighthouse. It simply changes temperature."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#15re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 1:33pm

I think this is somewhat appropriate, and it's something that has stuck with me, esepcially with the whirlwind of Rent, so to speak, that I've been experiencing lately.

At the Q&A following the screening at Symphony Space, Tracie said that so many artists are like "I'm gonna change the world. I'm gonna do something amazing, and touch lives and change the world," but that Jonathan didn't just say it, he did it. He actually did that. He changed so many lives, and he never knew it.

I remember being in the East Village, on the other side of the park from the Life Cafe, surrounded by the film cast, and seeing Jonathan's father there, on this night that threw me into a year-long rollercoaster. That made me cry. After reading Anthony's book, I can't help but be very stuck on the odd notion of being here to do what you're going to do, and that's just it. He left us with an incredible gift, and, call it corny, but -- "it was us, baby. We were the lucky ones."

It will always break my heart that we'll never know what else he might have created.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/24/06 at 01:33 PM

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#16re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 1:42pm

I dont know what to say other than Rent is one of the best things in my life right now. Thank you.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#17re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 1:54pm

Rest in Peace, Jonathan. You were taken from us too early--just when your fame began to rise. I wish we all had the chance to see what other shows you would have written if you have lived. But, the two that we have are great. R.I.P.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#18re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 2:18pm

Thank you for everything, Jonathan.

Whatever happened to class?

AngelofAvenueB Profile Photo
AngelofAvenueB
#19re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 2:45pm

Jon, I can't even begin to thank you for everything you've given to so many people. Most people might not agree, but for every single person who has seen RENT, you have changed their world in some way. When I think of the power and sheer emotion of RENT and tick, tick... BOOM!, I just can't help but mourn the fact that such talent and drive as yours was taken from the world so early. When I first saw RENT at the Nederlander, a little thrill went through me as I sat down in my seat and looked at the stage. I think everyone has that to some degree, and I believe it's your presence in the theater. You brought the magic to RENT and you continue to bring it to this day.

Thank you, Jonathan Larson, for everything.

forget regret...

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#20re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 2:59pm

I..don't know what to say...just..

Thank you.

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.

kates422
#21re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 3:22pm

I'll just add another Thank You to Jonathan. I am so grateful to have his work and words embedded in my life all of the time. It's truly amazing!

ashley0139
#22re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 3:25pm

It breaks my heart to think that Jonathan will never know how many lives he touched and changed. Jonathan's spirit will live on as long as someone, somewhere is impacted by anything he has done. Thank you, Jonathan Larson.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

One Song Glory
#23re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 5:32pm

When I first heard about Jonathan's death, I felt like I knew him. His music in RENT and his relationship with people really affected me. And I'm very happy that people remember him as a great person. Thank you for all that you've given me and many others, Jonathan.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#24re: Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/24/06 at 5:49pm

Thank you for giving us all hope that dreams can become reality.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

Videos