News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES

IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES

paulie23 Profile Photo
paulie23
#0IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:55pm

Joe Mantello said at today's show Idina will pickup where she left off and be Elphaba for the last 15 minutes. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#1re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:58pm

Where she left off... which translates to her popping out of the stage with Joey Mac at the end of the show? That's just frickin' weird. Poor Shoshana Bean. Are they going to frickin' bow together, too?

They should have just let Bean do the show, and let Menzel give a speech afterwards.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#2re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:58pm

Yeah, it's stated here somewhere on this site...

You know Joe Mantello? I am impressed...

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

broadwayguy2
#3re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:00pm

well then damn.. they should have let joel grey pop out of a trap door and elope with fiyero too!

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#4re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:01pm

Does anyone remember the "Showstoppers" thread a while back? Because as of six o'clock tonight, we're going to have another one to add.

I'll bet she gets a standing O when she comes out of the floor.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."
Updated On: 1/9/05 at 05:01 PM

BEKA531
#5re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:01pm

but, will she be singing?

ElphieDefiesGravity
#6re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:02pm

I bet it will be really exciting for the audience members. I bet they will go WILD. It's kind of funny, because those of us not there know what will happen, but those in the audience don't. re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#7re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:03pm

wow....i'm very interested to see how this is going to happen...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:04pm

She probably *can't* sing, Beka. And it sounds like where she left off doesn't leave any singing on her part, anyway.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#9re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:04pm

Hasn't the show ended already?

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#10re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:06pm

Menzel's last show was supposed to be tonight.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#11re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES

Wont end until around 5:50PM- 6

tres_extraordinaire
#12UPDATE!

UPDATE!
They're actually strapping Idina to Shoshana's back; Shoshana will be singing and lugging Idina around and Idina will be doing the hand motions!
___

I'm skeptical about this whole situation... also, way to rid Shoshana of the spotlight.

paulie23 Profile Photo
paulie23
#13re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES

I don't know Joe M, but our friend just called from the show and spoke to Joe Mantello about it and that's what Joe said. So I hope all runs smoothly.

ElphieDefiesGravity
#14re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES

The show ends at about 5:45. Idina DOES have 2 lines to sing in the finale, btw.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:07pm

I'm not gonna even try to condense everything to a single post. At least not until we get the first review.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

La Vie Boheme
#16re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:09pm

"Idina is gonna be Nessarose tonight"

Someone said that and i forget who but HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#17re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:11pm

I think it's really sweet, actually. Just think, in about 15 minutes, the Gershwin is going to BLOW UP!!!

Imagine: Fiyero will knock on the floor, and instead of saying "Elphaba?", he'll say "Idina?" And her head will pop up...and scores of people will be passing out! Ears will bleed from the noise! LOL

I'm sure Shoshanna and Idina will share a bow, sort of a "passing of the torch" and Idina will take her last bow.

I think everyone will get their money's worth. Bravo, Idina.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#18re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:13pm

"I think it's really sweet, actually. Just think, in about 15 minutes, the Gershwin is going to BLOW UP!!!"

If only...

"Imagine: Fiyero will knock on the floor, and instead of saying "Elphaba?", he'll say "Idina?" And her head will pop up...and scores of people will be passing out! Ears will bleed from the noise! LOL"

I could totally see that happened. EXACTLY as you described it. And yes- the applause is going to last longer than "Defying Gravity".

"I'm sure Shoshanna and Idina will share a bow, sort of a "passing of the torch" and Idina will take her last bow."

I suppose that it could be looked at this way... but I still think that it's sort of a slap in Shoshana Bean's face.

Updated On: 1/9/05 at 05:13 PM

LoudIrishGirl
#19re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:14pm

I agree it s*cks for Shoshana, but she and Idina are probably friends, and she (being a humble and very nice person, as I have heard) will probably be glad to let her friend have this final moment (whether its a speech at the curtain call or coming out for the last few minutes of the show). And Idina has been working on Wicked for about 3 years now, so this last moment must mean a lot to her.

"If you can talk, you can sing...if you can walk, you can dance." - T.K. Greene

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#20re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:15pm

Well, this is interesting to say the least. I second magic8ball's comment about the stainding O. The audience is gonna go crazy. I probably would too.... :) I almost want to be there just to see the audience's reaction, if not to see Idina "perform" on her last day. <---It's actually really sad if you think about it, no being able to perform on your last day...

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

ElphieDefiesGravity
#21re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:16pm

That would be GREAT if he said Idina instead of Elphaba. I hope he does that!!!

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#22re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:17pm

Wow. I imagine that will make lots of people happy.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

La Vie Boheme
#23re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:18pm

Idina gets a huge standing O anyway. (no matter if she won best actress or broke a rib)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#24re: IDINA ON TODAY: PICKING UP THE LAST 15 MINUTES
Posted: 1/9/05 at 5:20pm

Just a random thought...what if there are some tourists there who unknowingly bought tickets to Wicked on January 9th and have no idea who Idina Menzel is or what happened on Saturday. That would be confusing, suddenly seeing a different Elphaba pop out of the floor.

Videos