News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Giant 5/16 (twice!)

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 9:47pm

I made it down to DC this weekend for the sole purpose of seeing Giant. I'll admit I went in as a very biased LaChiusa fan, so I was inclined to like it, but I didn't know that I would LOVE it. In fact I loved it so much that after the (4 hour) matinee I turned around and rushed the evening performance too.

Where should I start? The score is absolutely wonderful. It is rich, lush and really captures the feel of the land. I believe one of LaChiusa's strengths is that he is able to create such atmosphere in his music.

You don't even need the (thoughtful) lyrics. His melodies evoke the perfect mood everytime. The rolling expanse of "Your Texas" and "Heartbreak Country," the hope of "There is a Child," and the frenzy of "Lost." Can songs capture characters any better than "No Time for Surprises" captures Luz, or "The Dog is Gonna Bark" captures Jett?

I can't get this brilliant score out of my head, and my crazy hope against all hopes is that it will be preserved somehow in full. If a recording is made it needs the deluxe treatment.

When a score is so perfect you really want a perfect cast to deliver it, and Signature really assembled it.

Lewis Cleale is great as Bick. His warm Baritone/Tenor sails through LaChiusa's melodic passages and gave me goosebumps. His journey through the three acts was well-thought, and he really makes you feel the inner struggles his character is facing.

Betsy Morgan really won me over as Leslie. Excuse my lack of technical knowledge, but I loved her mix of high soprano and chest voice. She really has a great instrument. She totally understood the fiesty, forward thinking woman that was trapped in the wrong time and place. These are complex characters. There aren't villians and heroes. They are very real human beings who make mistakes and love others despite GLARING faults.

Judy Blazer almost walked off with the whole show as Luz. This brilliant woman really GOT her character. Every moment of body language, the sullen eyes, the delivery. It was a superb performances. I swear she looked right at me and sang "It ain't gonna happen" and it scared the crap out of me.

Ashley Robinson was a great Jett. He cried during the finale at both performances and that really got to me. His "Elsie Mae" and "The Dog is Gonna Bark" were highlights. A very engaging actor who I hope to see more of in the future.

Jessica Grove is very strong as L'il Luz and Jordan Nichols personifies idealism and optimisim as Jordy Jr. John Dossett is only in the show for a few numbers, but he commands the stage and shines in the first act finale. Marisa Echeverria made a lovely Juana.

The ensemble was very strong, and stayed on stage almost the entire first act.

The direction was minimal, but I liked that. It really let the score and the performances stand front and center.

The Norman Conquests may have been my favorite theatrical event this season, but this ranks really far up there. Please, please, please let this come to New York and find an even larger audience. If you are able to travel to DC and see this do so.

I'm sorry this has been a little gushy, but I was so moved by what I saw that I can't give this anything else but an over the top rave.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#2re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 9:52pm

4 hours? Wow when I saw it in rehearsals in New York it was around there and MJL told us a lot would be cut before DC guess they just couldn't trim it yet.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

WhizzerMarvin
#2re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:01pm

I overheard a woman telling someone that at the initial readings it was running 4 hours 45 minutes. LaChiusa was able to trim away 45 minutes. I wouldn't want any of it cut. I saw if it takes someone 3 or 4 hours to tell a story, let him or her have it.

I never found the material to be excess filler. There is a lot of plot to cover and many characters to develop. LaChiusa has simply opted for the thorough and detailed approach.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Broadwaylover26 Profile Photo
Broadwaylover26
#3re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:04pm

I'm so glad you liked it! I was thinking about seeing it soon, but as I couldn't hear the music beforehand, I was worried about spending the money. I'll definitely try to get tickets now!

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#4re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:07pm

Jealous. I'd love to hear a new LaChiusa score so early. I think it's really ambitious yet kinda dangerous to produce a four hour show.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

WhizzerMarvin
#5re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:20pm

I rushed it both times for $30. That is an amazing deal for the 4 hrs of music/book you get.

I agree with you MrSweetNAwful. It is dangerous to produce a 4 hour show, and there were definitely people complaining about it. No one can accuse LaChiusa of conforming to the expectations of the musical form.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:21pm

If Norman Conquests can be 3 shows, why can't Giant be 2 2 hour shows?

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/18/09 at 10:21 PM

hockeynut2
#7re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:35pm

Read Alex Kakfka's review of GIANT on DC Theatre Scene. Click on THEIR REVIEWS to read all the reviews of GIANT. Joel
ALEX KAFKA ON GIANT ON DCTS

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#8re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/18/09 at 10:45pm

You lost me at "four hours" ......

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#9re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/19/09 at 12:56am

I saw this over the weekend as well, and while I think that it was a stunningly audacious piece of musical theater with infinite potential, it is definitely not ready for a commercial New York run. Right now, it is a whoooooole lot of musical. It is an epic story that certainly warrants the epic length, but it definitely needs focus. There is just too much story right now. I must disagree with you, Whizzer, because as I sat there in the theater, I noted numbers that should be cut or at least replaced.

That said though, it was a thrilling night at the theater and an extraordinary and bold piece of musical theater. From what I understand, LaChiusa wants to take the show to New York, but has been told more cuts are necessary (at least another 45 minutes), which I don't think is entirely impossible or unwarranted.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#10re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/19/09 at 12:56am

Oh, and Judy Blazer... f-ing brilliant performance!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#11re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/19/09 at 8:55am

Thanks for the glowing review, Whizzer! Sorry we didn't make it up to see you and the show. We are definitely going to make it up on closing weekend.

WhizzerMarvin
#12re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/19/09 at 10:38am

Yes, I can't stress enough how amazing Judy Blazer is!

Just to clarify, I want Giant to come to New York, but don't necessarily think it should be on Broadway. I think it could thrive in a place like the Mitzi Newhouse once Happiness leaves.

I don't know how much commercial appeal this show will ever have, but I really believe in it and hope that it finds success somehow in New York.

hubee Profile Photo
hubee
#13re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/19/09 at 11:07am

i admit that i have the attention span of a gnat, and that usually i enjoy the fluffier more pop music piece musicals (sorry folks but the first act of Grey Gardens bored me to tears).

But i totally agree. Giant was AMAZING and the 4 hours flew by for me. the whole cast was amazing, not just Judy Blazer. I totally fell in love with Betsy as Lesley.

I dont think this is really for commercial theatre but while i think they could have trimmed a few sections, i personally loved it the way it was and wouldn't want any less.

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/19/09 at 4:24pm

I really want to see this!

WhizzerMarvin
#15re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/19/09 at 8:04pm

Ok, I might be crazy, but I'm really thinking about taking the Bolt bus back down to DC this weekend for another round!! I just can't stop thinking about this show.

MeganW Profile Photo
MeganW
#16re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:31pm

WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel, wow, I wasn't blown away by Giant, and definitely feel (IMO) that it could be cut down, but I'm glad you loved it so much. Isn't that the best theatre experience, when you are so totally absorbed that you just want to watch it over and over again?

If people have split views about your work, I think it's flattering. I'd rather have them feel something about it than dismiss it.
Stephen Sondheim

bestoffates.com

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#17re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:44pm

Someone from my firm saw Giant this week and really liked it. She told me I should go see it for myself, but I'm not too keen about the length of this production.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:54pm

I truly wish I could see this. For me, a good show is a good show, regardless of length. I've seen 90-minute shows I couldn't wait to leave and I've seen a 7.5 hour play at the RNT in London that made me want to return the very next day and watch again in its entirety. Usually, if it is a superior show, it is time well spent and it often flies by.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WhizzerMarvin
#19re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/22/09 at 1:00pm

Dottie, you really should see this production! I know I have proven to be a little biased when it comes to this show, but it is SO worth it.

The four hours really fly by because of the score and the brilliant cast. Definitely rush it for $30 an hour before the performance. You can't get better bang for your buck.

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#20re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/22/09 at 1:04pm

How was Lewis Cleale in this show? I loved him in "The Fantasticks." Updated On: 5/22/09 at 01:04 PM

WhizzerMarvin
#21re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/22/09 at 1:24pm

Lewis Cleale is AMAZING! His voice is warm, rich and absolutely soars over LaChiusa's melodies. His acting is very uncompromising and allows for a nice ambiguity with his character at the end. His scenes with Betsy Morgan crackle. I only knew him as Melissa Errico's evil husband from Amour, but he really has found the perfect starring role.

beltzies613 Profile Photo
beltzies613
#22re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/24/09 at 1:44am

I just saw Giant today and i have to say that as much as i wanted to love it the four hours was just too much for me. In my opinion there were some obvious cuts that could and should be made. Also (and this is probably a very unpopular opinion) I thought that the whole character of Jett brought nothing to the production. While the actor playing him was fantastic I just did not understand his characters overall point, and he didnt ever advance the plot. I doubt it will be cut since it was the James Dean character, and thats one of the reasons people might see this show, but it just did nothing for me

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#23re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 5/26/09 at 4:22pm

As a Signature subscriber, I was quite happy this premiere was part of the season (and I am looking forward to the Ricky Ian Gordon premiere next season- though I will no longer be subscribing due to thinking the season is too safe). It was much more melodic than most LaChiusa scores (but I like his more inaccessible stuff too). The styles were definitely varied and there was a strong book. Most performances were excellent and the 4 hours were not an issue for me. It could use a little cutting. The third act was the most problematic for me.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 04:22 PM

Mattbrain
#24re: Giant 5/16 (twice!)
Posted: 6/20/09 at 5:07pm

A show that's over two and a half hours always catches my interest! It's a weakness! This show sounds amazing.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Videos