News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

China Doll Previews Thread- Page 5

China Doll Previews Thread

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#100China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/25/15 at 7:26pm

IN THE HEIGHTS got stronger, but it was always something that connected.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#101China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/25/15 at 7:36pm

Biggest difference between the older shows and now are ticket prices. Before prices exploded, people might be willing to take a shot on a show with bad word of mouth during previews. Now people may not want to shell out 2 c notes for something that is being trashed all over the place. Some of the shows mentioned were trying out on the road and were not in the bullseye known as New York City.

Poster Emeritus

MarsBars
#102China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/25/15 at 7:59pm

"Aside from An American in Paris, with which I would disagree, those are all shows from a very different Broadway, though."

What do you mean by a very different Broadway?... not picking a fight just genuinely curious. A different style of show than China Doll, a different era, a more forgiving audience, a pre-Internet age?  Even aside from this specific show, and whether it improves or not, I guess I just have to believe in the power of something to get stronger, whether significantly or even just incrementally.  I agree that it's very rare that shows improve in a meaningful way from how they appear straight out of the gate... but it does happen, it's happened before, and whether with this show or not, it will happen again.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#103China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/25/15 at 8:09pm

Mr Roxy said: "When the reviews come out, tickets will really be plentiful."

How will tickets be plentiful for a sold out run after bad word of mouth?!

After Eight
#104China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/25/15 at 9:12pm

"Discussion of the play aside, the notion people are actually saying previews don't exist and a show should be ready on the first public performance is not only insane, it just betrays your lack of experience."

So whether at an out-of-town tryout or a first preview, there is not a minimum degree of competence in any domain that a paying customer has the right to expect. Such as a Tony-Award-winning actor with stage experience spanning fifty years actually projecting his voice in such a way as to make himself heard by the audience. How dare anyone expect or demand that!  How "insane," and how revealing of one's "lack of experience!"

Unbelievable!

Fosse76
#105China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/26/15 at 1:40pm

"If this is indeed sold out, they would probably be selling standing room until word of mouth spreads."

Generally shows in previews don't sell standing room. However,this show is selling standing room for the spots in house left (the center is being used by the production for the time being). I believe the tickets for standing room are $67.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#106China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/26/15 at 1:50pm

Fosse76 said: "I believe the tickets for standing room are $67."

Is that setting a new high for SRO?

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#107China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/26/15 at 1:53pm

haterobics said:

"Fosse76 said: "I believe the tickets for standing room are $67."

Is that setting a new high for SRO?"

That seems ridiculously high for standing room.  Even the revival of Glengarry with Pacino, which I am under the impression sold much better prior to opening than China Doll, had SRO for less than $40. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#108China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/26/15 at 2:03pm

It will only get worse especially for a star driven vehicle.

Poster Emeritus

PatrickDennis92
#109China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/26/15 at 3:15pm

She may be poor, black, and ugly; but she's here.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#110China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/26/15 at 3:33pm

?????????

Poster Emeritus

mamaleh
#111China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/27/15 at 11:43am

Can someone please verify that SRO is actually $67 ?!!!  I thought $40 was high for the recent ELEPHANT MAN revival.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#112China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/27/15 at 2:37pm

$40 has been the new normal high price, that's what it costs for Hamilton (and you have to win that before you can even buy it)

Blender2
#113China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 12:22am

I saw the play today and came to this message board because I was curious what others thought.  I thought it was very interesting.  I was actually considering seeing at a second time (but only if I could find a cheap ticket.)

I have not read every single comment but I got the gist.  Those that saw it weren't that impressed.  Those that didn't are now not going to.  I wish that weren't the case.  If you were intending to see it you should still consider going.  I know tickets aren't cheaper because its a preview but there's a reason that critics aren't permitted to write reviews now.  It takes the actors a while to find the play and really get comfortable with a script.  Sometimes the first preview is only the first or second time that a play has been run through from start to finish.   Now compound that with a play which is almost (but not quite) a monologue then you really have to give them a little time to work out the kinks.

I loved Pacino in the film of Glengary Glenn Ross and I loved him in the Phil Spector movie.  The guy knows how to do Mamet.  You have to give him a little time to get comfy with it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#114China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 12:26am

^ Thank you for joining to post that. I am sure you have no involvement in the show. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#115China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 12:28am

Does an Al Pacino show need to shill, though?

Blender2
#116China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 12:32am

I absolutely promise that I'm not affiliated with the show in any way.  I saw that there is a person who is working on the show in some capacity.  I really just wanted to hear what others had to say about it.

And you're right...an Al Pacino play that is sold out doesn't need a shill up at 12:30am to talk about a play. 

I wasn't even necessarily intend to post something but when I saw how rough some of the comments were, I thought I'd give my two cents.

Updated On: 10/29/15 at 12:32 AM

ryankon
#117China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 12:59am

It's as bad as everyone says it is.  A colossal waste of talent, time, real estate and other peoples money.  

Updated On: 10/29/15 at 12:59 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#118China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 8:20pm

And now, Michael Riedel is spreading some gossip about it...

http://nypost.com/2015/10/29/al-pacino-totally-lost-over-his-terrible-new-broadway-play/

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#119China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 8:23pm

Just read Riedel's column on it. This is shaping up as a disaster on a scale of the Titanic. This sounds like one of those disasters people want to see like viewing an accident.

Mamet may become a word worse than Wildhorn. Stay tuned kiddies.

Poster Emeritus

Tom5
#120China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 10:26pm

If curious it might be wise to wait until is available in print at The Drama Book Shop. You can always peruse it there, They supply an assortment of chairs for that purpose.  That's how I saved myself from seeing The Anarchist. P.S. You should buy something else when you're there. This is one great little shop that can never be replaced.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#121China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/29/15 at 10:49pm

Had no intention of seeing it prior to the horror stories. Have less than no interest of seeing it or reading it now. I feel sorry for those who shelled out big bucks to see this train wreck. The reviews from the critics should be a barrel of laughs.

Poster Emeritus

UConn
#122China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/30/15 at 8:37am

http://nypost.com/2015/10/29/al-pacino-totally-lost-over-his-terrible-new-broadway-play/

From NY Post, Al Pacino ‘totally lost’ over his terrible new Broadway play......"

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#123China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/30/15 at 9:06am

ryankon said: "It's as bad as everyone says it is.  A colossal waste of talent, time, real estate and other peoples money.  

This kind of reminds me of Lindsay Duncan's scene in Birdman.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#124China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/30/15 at 9:13am

This is shaping up to be the "Dude" of straight plays.

Poster Emeritus

Videos