News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway's Lost Treasures III- Page 3

Broadway's Lost Treasures III

riv
#50re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 10:53am

Alfred Drake being on it is worth the price of the disc alone. Did he perform at any other Tonys?

And I'm going to assume nothing from Gigi was done at the Tonys in 1974 since it wasn't a best musical nominee. Am I correct?
Updated On: 7/10/05 at 10:53 AM

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#51re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 11:44am

I wish they would just stick to the nominated musical numbers. Most of the numbers done as tribute medleys are like a dated variety show from decades ago plus there's a lot of lip synching going on for some reason (One exception though... I loved Dorothy Loudon singing on that convertable!). What I'd really like are more DVD'S of the Ed Sullivan Broadway musical numbers which were great cause we got to see not only the ones from the hit shows but also the flops that were desperately hoping for a kick in the box office due to the tv exposure ("Flora the Red Menace", "Gantry", "Illya Darling", " The Gay Life","Tovarich", "Henry Sweet Henry", "All American", "Do Re Mi", "Little Me", "I Had A Ball" and "Wildcat" to name just a few). I know the last one advertised a future release during the final credits but I haven't heard anything about a release date yet. Anyone have some info on this?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#52re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:35pm

Margo that is so sad. I guess the only way of getting it is through e bay from people that had vcrs ( new at that time) when it originally aired.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#53re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:00pm

I'll buy this for Debbie Allen's AMERICA. She was BLAZING!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Streisand24
#54re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:43am

I can't wait! I hope there is a clip from Funny Girl!

MargoChanning
#55re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:53am

I don't believe there was ever a real performance from Funny Girl on the Tonys since the show debuted before 1967 when the show went national (and Streisand never came back to recreate any of the moments from it afterwards).

There was a tribute to Jules Styne back in the mid-80s which basically consisted of a badly performed and organized medley of songs from his shows (Susan Anton, Rex Smith, Tom Wopat, Dick van Dyke, Maureen McGovern, Leslie Uggams, Chita Rivera, et al were part of it). I doubt we'll EVER see that awful thing on a Broadway Treasures release.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 7/11/05 at 12:53 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#56re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:59am

I forgot about that awful Jule Styne tribute! Mimi Hines did a number from FUNNY GIRL on the Ed Sullivan Show, but I don't think Streisand ever a number from the actual show on T.V.

MargoChanning
#57re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 1:17am

I've always called the mid-80s the Susan Anton years of the Tonys. Anyone who wants to call ANY of the recent telecasts from the last decade or so "the worst ever" never saw those shows.

That same year also included a tribute to Andrew Lloyd Webber (with the that same group I mentioned before). Just the thought of Dick van Dyke doing Gus the Theatre Cat from CATS makes me shudder and want to gouge out my eyes and ears.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MargoChanning
#58re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 1:23am

PS -- Streisand did a Funny Girl medley on her "My Name Is Barbra" tv special from the mid-60s (she was still in Funny Girl at the time, I believe). She did "People" separately, but then later in the special did large sections of "You Are Woman," "Don't Rain on My Parade," "The Music That Makes Me Dance" and "My Man."

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#59re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 1:29am

WAIT - that list doesn't include PETER PAN! ???

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#60re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 2:37am

Margo, when I started thinking about this, I should have thought to ask you in the first place!

I'm a member of the museum of tv and radio so I go there all the time and well lately they haven't had tonys available for an odd reason but I've watched quite a few and am really curious about which ones you would recommend seeing or ones that had some good performances, tributes, etc. So far I've seen...'87, '91, '96, '71...I've been trying to get the '86 one b/c tonyawards.com said they did some special 40 yr anniv. tributes.

Any others you recommend? Of course all may not be available...oh and for those interested in the Dreamgirls performance. I can't tell you whether or not the museum has the tonys it was on, but they made two clips compiling the "Alexander H. Cohen years" which goes from '67-'86 believe, and the entire Dreamgirls performance is on the second compilation, I watched it recently, very enjoyable.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#61re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 3:04am

And still no NO, NO, NANETTE. Damn!

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#62re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:03pm

The producers of these programs should be reading our posts, we clearly state what we want to see. (And we are the people buying the DVDs). I guess I understand the problems with the Bennet numbers, but where are...
CITY LIGHTS? It's the ultimate Liza performance...seeing it on the big screen at the Museum of TV and Radio last month was THRILLING.
Bernadette's UNEXPECTED SONG?
And I know I'm not the only one who was hoping Melba Moore's outrageous "I Got Love" would be included.
Updated On: 7/11/05 at 12:03 PM

Videos