News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway's Lost Treasures III- Page 2

Broadway's Lost Treasures III

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#25re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 11:53am

Ooh! I'm excited!! I have the first two on DVD and watch them constantly.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#26re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 12:29pm

Anyone notice the post originated on June 6? You could have known about this a month ago. re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#28re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:19pm

That's the first Treasures.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#29re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:42pm

well i cant wait for this to be here!

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#30re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 2:37pm

Are we there yet?

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#31re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:53pm

I do love dame Julie! :)

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

Tap16 Profile Photo
Tap16
#32re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 11:10pm

SO does any one know the exact date? that website says august 10th, but thats alabama

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#33re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 11:20pm

The website says August 10 for the FIRST BLT!!!!! GAAAAHHH!!

--Aristotle

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#34re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 11:37pm

It could be a misprint Capn, but the website does say "Broadway's Lost Treasures III" at the top of the page (the description sounds like the first BLT, though).

WGBH also has BLTIII on their website as airing around the same time.

kyle33nyc Profile Photo
kyle33nyc
#35re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 11:55pm

It looks like Chita is featured on the cover in Kiss of the Spider Woman. Did she sing Where You Are on the Tonys? I was hoping it was her 11:00 number, the title song of the show. Or maybe the trio that occurred right before...

How about Ragtime? Did they sing the opening number? I watched that but cannot remember what it was. Drabinsky could have at least taped that whole show before running off to Canada to hide from creditors.

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#36re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/7/05 at 11:59pm

Kyle, Chita did sing "Where You Are," and I'm pretty sure the "Ragtime" performance was the opening number.

MargoChanning
#37re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:26pm

Just saw this posted on ATC:

ACT ONE
“We’re in the Money,” 42ND STREET, cast, 2001
“Whatever Lola Wants (Lola Gets),” DAMN YANKEES, Gwen Verdon, Ray Walston, 1971
Medley, INTO THE WOODS, Vanessa Williams, cast, 2002
“She Likes Basketball,” PROMISES, PROMISES, Jerry Orbach, 1969
“America,” WEST SIDE STORY, Debbie Allen, cast, 1980

ACT TWO
Medley, MY FAIR LADY and CAMELOT, Julie Andrews, 1991
“Ol’ Man River,” SHOW BOAT, Michel Bell, cast, 1995
“Step to the Rear,” HOW NOW, DOW JONES, Anthony Roberts, cast, 1968
“Where Is the Life That Late I Led?” KISS ME, KATE, Alfred Drake, 1971
“Sing, Sing, Sing,” FOSSE, cast, 1999

ACT THREE
“I Can’t Be Bothered Now,” CRAZY FOR YOU, Harry Groener, cast, 1992
“Where You Are,” KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, Chita Rivera, cast, 1993
“Indian Love Call,” ROSE-MARIE, Robert Goulet, Inga Swenson, 1982
“T’Ain’t Nobody’s Bizness If I Do,” BLACK AND BLUE, cast, 1989
“Comedy Tonight,” A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM, Zero Mostel, 1971

ACT FOUR
Medley, Ethel Merman (tribute), GYPSY, CALL ME MADAM, ANYTHING GOES, 1972
“Happiness,” “My New Philosophy,” YOU’RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN, Kristin Chenoweth, 1999
“Caldonia,” FIVE GUYS NAMED MOE, cast, 1992
“Ragtime,” RAGTIME, cast, 1998

BONUS PERFORMANCES
“The American Dream,” MISS SAIGON, Jonathan Pryce, cast, 1991
“Everything’s Coming Up Roses,” GYPSY, Angela Lansbury, 1975
“The Happy Time,” THE HAPPY TIME, Robert Goulet, 1968
“She Could Shake Her Maracas,” TOO MANY GIRLS, Desi Arnaz, 1972

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:31pm

Ragtime could not have been taped by Drabinsky for the same reasons other shows are not -costs

I did hear that the company ( long since gone) that taped Putting It Together had a choice between that show & Ragtime & picked PIT over Ragtime. What a pity. The same company put out Jekyll & Hyde which I have seen being sold somewhere on DVD for $ 5.99 . Pretty soon it will wind up in $ .99 cent stores everywhere

Poster Emeritus

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#39re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:31pm

Thanks Margo!

I'm actually excited that Charlie Brown is going to be on here!

I guess a lot of the ealier performances, like My Fair Lady are going to be done at later times, unlike the cover would lead you to believe.

BTW, when were the Tony Awards first boadcast??????

MargoChanning
#40re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:38pm

1967 was the first national telecast. They aired on local tv before that, but there were no production numbers or performances. It was just a low key dinner ceremony held at a local hotel ballroom where awards were handed out and not much else happened. Some of those earlier ceremonies (many of which still exist) lasted barely an hour. That's why we there is no Tony musical footage pre-1967 -- it didn't become the big three hour show it is today until the show went national.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#41re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:43pm

Thanks Margo, although this version's performances seem a little...blah to me. Some stick out (YAGMCB, Gypsy, West Side Story, Ragtime, Into the Woods...) but most dont really interest me :-/

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#42re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:48pm

Oh, I didn't even Notice Lansbury in Gypsy, Finally my first taste!

Thanks Margo for the info!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#43re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 1:28pm

The performance of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" is just Lansbury in a gown, singing the song. It's not in character. Very variety show style.

Gotta say..."She Likes Basketball," but not "Turkey Lurkey Time"? That sucks.

Best thing on the disc by far is "Step to the Rear".

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#44re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/9/05 at 3:33pm

Ahhh YAY! I just bought the first one yesterday, and I already had the 2nd one.
I want number 3 right now! lol I was going to say I can't wait, but let's face it...I can.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#45re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:48am

I recently had a chance to see a tape of the 1867 Tony telecast.
(oops...obviously that should be 1967!)

It runs 90 minutes. One sponsor (American airlines) gets one single ad at each break. The speeches are very short none go over 30 seconds and many are no more than a "thank you very much." The 4 nominated musicals (CABARET, I DO I DO, THE APPLE TREE (PASSIONELLA) and WALKING HAPPY) are given long numbers. And all 4 shows got cast albums!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 7/10/05 at 02:48 AM

iwearshoes Profile Photo
iwearshoes
#46re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:56am

sweet!!! i was listening to the ragtime cast album when i saw this!!! yay!!! oh and frontrowcentre...you saw the 1867 tony telecast? really? is it THAT old? re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#47re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 3:10am

I wonder why they still don't put Dreamgirls on?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

MargoChanning
#48re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 4:17am

Attorney John Breglio of the Bennett estate (who was a close personal and business associate of Bennett in his lifetime) won't grant the rights for the "Dreamgirls" clip for some reason. Not sure why he's withholding it, but perhaps it has something to do with the upcoming movie and the possibility of a Broadway revival.

He also makes it very difficult for anyone not associated with a major Equity production of the show to even view the tape at Lincoln Center (you have to get written permission from him to see the tape and if you're just a fan of the show or doing an amateur production, he will not allow you to see it).

I can't say that I understand the logic of keeping all legal footage of the show so under wraps and protected, but I suppose he has his reasons......... whatever they are.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#49re: Broadway's Lost Treasures III
Posted: 7/10/05 at 10:46am

I believe the Bennett estate feels that Chorus Line and Dreamgirls can only be best appreciated in officially sanctioned productions that recreate the Bennett staging. By holding back the Tony Awards footage, when a revival of Chorus Line or Dreamgirls rolls around, it makes a first class production that much more eagerly anticipated - like the theatrical equivalent of Halley's Comet.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Videos