News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)- Page 4

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#75Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/11/15 at 10:39pm

There was a lot of projection in that article. As soon a she described herself as an award winning playwright she set herself up as a theatre elitist. Not only once but a few times. That attitude makes me wonder the tone and timbre of her exchange with "Jane". Does an Award Winning Playwright have special privilage in a theatre? Personally I could give a rats ass what she does in church on Sunday. If she sat next to me and whooped it up during a show, I would definitely say something. I don't care what color she is. It is NOT being racist, it is just expecting some sort of consideration from fellow audience members.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 12/12/15 at 10:39 PM

Michael Kras Profile Photo
Michael Kras
#76Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/11/15 at 10:46pm

Newintown, sorry. Should be more specific. North American, Western Theatre.

And to the comment about Morisseau's cis privilege and native born privilege, neither of these things are visually evident. We are looking at her status as a visible minority.

And you've listen a bunch of theatre companies that reflect cultural diversity. Without reading up on every single company, I can bet from the names alone that these are companies intended to program work by specific cultures.... Because other large theatres won't take them. Creating separate theatres just so non-white artists can program work isn't exactly a solution to the problem.

Updated On: 12/12/15 at 10:46 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#77Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/11/15 at 11:24pm

Exactly SNAFU, but it's a waste of time trying to make that point here, as it falls on deaf ears which belong to those posters who cry racism all the time.  

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

rob136
#78Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 8:43am

The playwright seems to be racing to make this an issue of elitism, but that's the only way race is involved. Ironically, she complains about being lectured on theatre etiquette and proceeds to completely disregard it.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#79Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 10:16am

I don't know about this entire story. Is the "playwright" auditioning a new play by writing this?  She's in town for one day. She has no money. She claims her "award" winning check hadn't cleared yet. Is she in such financial straits that she depends on that check? She and friends go see a play on the spur of the moment. She can't afford any ticket. I guess her credit card would be rejected? Is she the only one in her g group who can't afford a ticket? Her friends can't cover this award winning playwright for this show? An usher goes in to see what she can do and comes out with free tickets?

I don't know. Sounds fishy to me, maybe this person has an agenda.  But I guess that makes me a racist!

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#80Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 10:42am

Jane we can be "racist" 2gether then cos I thought of all the same things u did. 

All Publicity is good Publicity esp if it keeps the awards & checks coming in ( to relieve elitist white guilt)

smidge
#81Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 11:23am

I'm going to hang around Hamilton until some old white lady gives me a free ticket.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#82Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 2:07pm

Oh, dear. Racism and white supremacy abound in this thread. Thankfully Kras has spoken the most truth.

Regarding noise in the theater: there is a huge difference between making distracting noises (i.e. talking on your cell phone, talking to a friend about dinner, unwrapping a sandwich, etc.) that inhibits the audience's ability to enjoy a performance. or breaks the concentration of the  performer. In this instance, Ms. Morisseau noted that she was engaging with the performer, and if we're talking about The Christians at Playwrights Horizons, there are perfectly acceptable moments to engage in this manner.

The woman who gave Ms. Morisseau the ticket has zero entitlement to tell her what to do simply because she gave her a ticket. Zero. We need to dismantle the toxic rhetoric about how one should behave in the theater simply because an elitist white culture has told us to do so. C'mon theater kiddies! You cannot tell me you're failing to recount your Theater History 101 class? in Shakespeare's day? When people threw fruit at the stage and conversed? I know, I know. We are not there today. Somewhere along the lines the white elitists decided theater should belong to them along with all the 'appropriate' etiquette that goes along with it. Every culture, person, and community will have a wildly different response to every theater experience. Their response may manifest in call and response or raucous laughter -- that is what theater should do. If we are simply sitting in our seats, sipping wine, remaining silent--except where apporpriate, and I don't mean the entire show--we are creating a static experience that has no artistic or civic worthwhile. 

Regarding diversity in the theater. New in Town: You couldn't be more wrong. Those theaters you have listed, just as Kras has mentioned, came about simply because people of color were not allowed the opportunity in the larger theaters; theaters that have more money, attention, and audiences. In the American Theatre today, there is hardly enough diversity in staff, programming, or audiences. A theater that has one black board member, with a 10% black audience, and programs a single play by August Wilson is NOT diverse. Do your research. I guarantee I can shut down any and ALL retorts you may think you have regarding this topic. Diversity is a huge issue that requires a great deal of attention. And don't even get me started on how actors of color are seldom allowed the opportunity to perform in most plays unless the character's race is specified in the script, and even that is rare.

And to those who think this is not a matter of race: get your coffee and WAKE UP. I understand that you write your responses from your (likely) affluent neighborhoods with low diversity, with access to a computer with internet access, and  the ability to regularly attend what has become a very expensive hobby. I implore you to consider your responses before you post. Also, please consider your fellow theatergoers when you attend a play. Your personal experience is absolutely valid, but so is the person sitting next to you.

Updated On: 12/13/15 at 02:07 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#83Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 2:32pm

You wake up, even if she hadn't given her the ticket, she is still within her rights to ask someone sitting her to STFU if she finds it distracting! Yes, people were loud in Skakespeare's time. but guess what Kiddo, look around. We aren't in Shakespeares time are we? It is NOT racism or white surpremacy. It is common courtesy. Do NOT sit next to me and hoot and holler and engage the actors whether you are Black, White, Brown, Red or fcuking plaid! I paided for my seat and expect the ability to enjoy the work onstage, not your vocalizations!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 12/12/15 at 02:32 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#84Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 2:38pm

By the way I have on a few occassions asked people next to me to keep it down. They were white. Is that racism broadwaybelter?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#85Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 2:48pm

I told a person to stop talking on their cell phone during a movie once. They were black.

I guess I failed to realize that talking on a cell phone is the way black people engage and enjoy the movies, and by asking them to be quiet I was really exhibiting micro-aggression.

Meanwhile, I also asked the white person 2 rows up to please stop talking on their cell phone.

So now I'm just confused if we're talking about racism or common courtesy.

#nonissuebecomesmajorissue

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#86Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 2:54pm

double

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 12/12/15 at 02:54 PM

VintageSnarker
#87Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 3:12pm

"I don't know about this entire story. Is the "playwright" auditioning a new play by writing this?"

I'm cringing at the thought. That play would be awful. At least, it would be awful if she wrote it from the perspective of this article. It could be tolerable if she actually engaged with the issues that have been discussed where personal biases and hangups sometimes make it difficult to see a situation clearly and have empathy for others. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#88Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 3:21pm

"And to those who think this is not a matter of race: get your coffee and WAKE UP."

YOU WAKE UP. Now shake shake shake your head a little, and maybe clear it from all that racism clogging it up, Sounds like you actually believe this whole tale and the one-sided story it tells. This person who  wrote it wants to sound like such a victim, while she's the racist one.

rob136
#89Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 3:25pm

I wouldn't go that far. She's not racist, just a perpetual victim.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#90Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 3:29pm

^ well, victim, yeah.

DivaProf
#91Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 3:59pm

I would really like to know more about the context.  I'm reminded of my experience at FELA where at one point in the show, audience members were asked to stand and dance.  Some did, some didn't, but standing and/or dancing was clearly acceptable audience behavior at that time for that show.  Is it possible that Ms. Morriseau was responding in an acceptable way at that time at that particular show?  I'm not certain that criticism after engaging in invited audience behavior would justify "slapping someone," but it might explain a bit of her outrage.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#92Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 4:43pm

Given that this story is true, don't you think the writer would have mentioned that the show involved the audience participating? I sure do. It would make her side seem more plausible and the old white woman would seem more wicked.

DivaProf
#93Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 5:17pm

From my read, Morriseau writes as if she "should" have been responding a certain way given the play.  But because she doesn't explicitly name the play, it is unclear to the reader whether that is in fact the case.  I am unfamiliar with The Christians, but are there moments in that play where audience participation is in fact encouraged?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#94Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/12/15 at 8:56pm

I understand that you write your responses from your (likely) affluent neighborhoods with low diversity, with access to a computer with internet access, and  the ability to regularly attend what has become a very expensive hobby.

I understand you are quite comfortable with making sweeping generalizations of those whom you know nothing about.  But if you didn't mention the color of someone's skin, it's totally okay, right?

If we are simply sitting in our seats, sipping wine, remaining silent--except where apporpriate, and I don't mean the entire show--we are creating a static experience that has no artistic or civic worthwhile.

What have you defined as "appropriate"?  And what do you determine as being "artistic or civic worthwhile"?  And why do only your definitions carry validity?  Are you saying that the behavior of the audience determines the artistic (or civic) integrity of the piece being performed?  If so, do you believe that none of the writers or composers are artists unless they elicit an audible response from the audience that you deem to be of a relevant level to be considered art?  What about all the plays and musicals (and operas and ballets, etc.) you never personally witnessed since the age of Shakespeare?  How could their level of artistry have been measured?  I have to wonder, if I were to sit next to you at a show, at what decibel level would I have to continually make noise in order for you to consider the show art or my behavior "inappropriate".

Also, please consider your fellow theatergoers when you attend a play. Your personal experience is absolutely valid, but so is the person sitting next to you.

Whom are you addressing?  Because it doesn't sound as if you believe the "personal experience" of the "elitist white culture" is valid on the whole.  It sounds as though you believe people of a certain class and/or race should behave the way you want.  Which sounds exactly like what you've been admonishing in others whether they were actually doing it or not.  Sort of like how you make assumptions of their race or class based on their inability to reach your personal conclusions and opinions.  Many of whom never mentioned race, whereas you specifically did.

I implore you to consider your responses before you post.

I did.  Now what?  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 12/12/15 at 08:56 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#95Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/13/15 at 2:22am

DivaProf said: "From my read, Morriseau writes as if she "should" have been responding a certain way given the play.  But because she doesn't explicitly name the play, it is unclear to the reader whether that is in fact the case.  I am unfamiliar with The Christians, but are there moments in that play where audience participation is in fact encouraged?

This is a perfect example of audiences engaging with a piece of theatre in dramatically different fashions. When you see a gospel choir onstage, clapping along to church, you (DivaProf) might simply accept this is a moment of the play and remain silent in your seat, very intrigued, erect in your chair, and very attentive. Another member, such as Ms. Morisseau, may see the same exact moment and engage by clapping her hands and shaking along with the chorus. Why should that be unacceptable? Each and every person will respond to material in a different way and every theater should allow for those reactions. Why is this such a difficult concept to accept?

Tazber said: "I told a person to stop talking on their cell phone during a movie once. They were black.

I guess I failed to realize that talking on a cell phone is the way black people engage and enjoy the movies, and by asking them to be quiet I was really exhibiting micro-aggression.

Meanwhile, I also asked the white person 2 rows up to please stop talking on their cell phone.

So now I'm just confused if we're talking about racism or common courtesy".

@Tazber: No. It simply means you're failing to see the difference between the two instances. Allow me to break them down for you.

• The instance you recount is one of a clearly disengaged moviegoer.
    • Exhibit A: the person is on their cell phone, discussing matters not relevant to the movie, clearly uninterested with the action of the movie.
  • The instance we're discussing in this thread is Dominique Morisseau's direct response (AKA: gut reaction, feeling, reply).
    • Exhibit A: Ms. Morisseau realizes a moment she is familiar with and engages as she deems appropriate. No one can discount what another may genuinely feel as an appropriate moment to themselves.

Jane2 said: "This person who  wrote it wants to sound like such a victim, while she's the racist one."

@Jane2: You do realize the society we live in is in favor of any and all white people? Anyone that is non-white cannot be racist. I would consider you read The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. If you do not understand what I'm talking about, you are part of the problem. Guess who are the only ones that have managed to segregate entire races from one another? I'll give you a hint: white people.

SNAFU said: "Do NOT sit next to me and hoot and holler and engage the actors whether you are Black, White, Brown, Red or fcuking plaid! I paided for my seat and expect the ability to enjoy the work onstage, not your vocalizations!"

@SNAFU: You make no point to argue with unfortunately. You blatantly state that you have no interest in how another patron may respond to a play. By engaging in this behavior, you continue to perpetuate this toxic rhetoric of which I speak.  The person sitting next to you probably paid for their seat as well. Shouldn't they be allowed to 'enjoy the work onstage' in the manner they deem appropriate? Ms. Morisseau is obviously an anomaly in this instance as she is an artist and was given complimentary tickets. Regardless of the price of the tickets, she should be allowed to enjoy the play however she wants.

SIDE NOTE: Do we all understand what defines someone as racist? Yes, a racist can appear as a brooding, hateful, angry person with the agenda of relegating non-white people to the bottom of the social caste system that we have forged. But racism can take on more subtle forms as well. A very well-meaning, seemingly 'nice' person, can be racist too. Racism is institutional and systemic(as exhibited in most theaters today, more specifically with Playwrights Horizons, as noted in this opinion article). I believe Ms. Morisseau because I constantly witness what she has recounted in her article. Countless new theatergoers, people of color, and those who have not been taught to experience theater in certain way have been shushed, forced to leave, reprimanded, and even shamed in front of my eyes too many times to count. It breaks my heart that we lose an extraordinary amount of patrons because of institutional racism.

@MisterMatt: You sound especially hostile regarding this issue. The language of your response suggests some blatant examples of covert racism. I advise you look it up if you don't understand what I mean. Making sweeping generalizations? I'm not so sure about that. I suspect you're probably white, or have significant privilege in your life, otherwise you should be very willing to accept the way another audience member, of a different race--and sure, let's list some colors to appease your senses; black, indian, filipino, mexican, puerto rican, etc--may react to play. If a patron is engaged with the play, regardless of the manner in which they are engaged, why shouldn't they be allowed to carry on? Again: CELL PHONE CONERVSATIONS = DISENGAGED, CLAPPING AND VOCALLY RESPONDING TO A MOMENT IN THE PLAY = ENGAGED. Do we understand the difference yet?

Updated On: 12/13/15 at 02:22 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#96Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/13/15 at 7:43am

DivaProf said: "I am unfamiliar with The Christians, but are there moments in that play where audience participation is in fact encouraged?"

The whole set is the altar of a church, so during the sermons, they are breaking the fourth wall and preaching  to the audience as the congregation, and there is also a 20(?) member gospel choir that sings, where people might clap and such. That's about it. Like, when I attended, a few people were getting into the congregation bit and shouting Amen, etc. There is no actual engagement like they are asking you questions or telling the audience members to do anything, as far as I recall...

Updated On: 12/13/15 at 07:43 AM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#97Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/13/15 at 9:36am

haterobics said: "DivaProf said: "I am unfamiliar with The Christians, but are there moments in that play where audience participation is in fact encouraged?"

The whole set is the altar of a church, so during the sermons, they are breaking the fourth wall and preaching  to the audience as the congregation, and there is also a 20(?) member gospel choir that sings, where people might slap and such. That's about it. Like, when I attended, a few people were getting into the congregation bit and shouting Amen, etc. There is no actual engagement like they are asking you questions or telling the audience members to do anything, as far as I recall...

"

Thank you, hate. Frankly, that sounds like a play where I would expect audience participation (standing and clapping) during the gospel numbers and I seriously doubt individuals could be disturbing their neighbors  over a gospel choir with a modern sound system. i also might very well choose not to jump and clap myself, since I wasn't raised in such a church and I'm not entirely sure of the conventions. And, yeah, that might result in my sight-line being blocked now and then, but I would expect to be patient in that regard.

JUST as I was patient on Wednesday night at a Barry Manilow benefit (the tix were a gift and I did a friend a favor by filling the resulting empty seats); Mr. M is a smart songwriter but I don't think it's necessary to stand after every song he wrote OR to bitch at the Fanilows who do. I ended up watching a lot of the show on the video cameras of the patrons in front of me. Worked fine. We white folks have inexplicable urges to stand, scream and clap, too.

Updated On: 12/13/15 at 09:36 AM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#98Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/13/15 at 9:45am

broadway belter said "Anyone that is non-white cannot be racist."

Um, no.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

I am not part of the problem because I am not a racist and I'm sick of you people, yes, I said you people, making those accusations about many of us here.

Updated On: 12/13/15 at 09:45 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#99Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
Posted: 12/13/15 at 9:49am

Countless new theatergoers, people of color, and those who have not been taught to experience theater in certain way have been shushed, forced to leave, reprimanded, and even shamed in front of my eyes too many times to count.

Seriously? You've seen people shamed and forced to leave "too many times to count"?

I don't think I've ever seen it.

Videos