News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 44

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1075Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:33am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "ljay889 said: "I’m sorry, but I find this supporting cast so underwhelming."

Same, especially after rumors like Keke Palmer and Paul Giamatti were being shared a few months ago.

I'm still very much looking forward to this but I'm no longeroptimistic that this willbe a commercial success.
"

Those rumors always seemed like wishful thinking and dream casting at best. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

gibsons2
#1076Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:10am

ColorTheHours048 said: "Bunch of grumps in the thread this AM. I’m personally thrilled for Joy and Jordan. I thought both of their performances were wonderful in The Notebook and I’m excitedto see particularly Jordan work with material that’s better than what Younger Allie has to work with.

Joy is going to win a Tony for this. Mark my words.
"

Joy has wonderful voice, but she's kind of a really underwhelming actress. Too early to say.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1077Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:14am

I’m in the “meh” camp. Everyone is talented for sure. But if just doesn’t feel like an event like it should. I loved Lupone’s Gypsy so I’m curious to see this one. That version’s “If Momma Were Married” is just glorious to me, so I’m excited to hear their vocals. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1078Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:15am

gibsons2 said: "Joy has wonderful voice, but she's kind of a really underwhelming actress. Too early to say."

Agree to disagree. She absolutely rips into “What Happens” and “My Days” in The Notebook, and I recall the video of her singing “Somewhere That’s Green” being quite affecting.

KevinKlawitter
#1079Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:17am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "ljay889 said: "I’m sorry, but I find this supporting cast so underwhelming."

Same, especially after rumors like Keke Palmer and Paul Giamatti were being shared a few months ago.

I'm still very much looking forward to this but I'm no longeroptimistic that this willbe a commercial success.
"

I think the lesson here is that when a show is designed as a star vehicle, take rumors that the supporting cast will be filled with actors who are as big as or bigger stars than your headliner with a grain of salt.

gibsons2
#1080Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:20am

ColorTheHours048 said: "gibsons2 said: "Joy has wonderful voice, but she's kind of a really underwhelming actress. Too early to say."

Agree to disagree. She absolutely rips into “What Happens” and “My Days” in The Notebook, and I recall the video of her singing “Somewhere That’s Green” being quite affecting.
"

As I said, her voice is wonderful, very powerful, no doubt about it. But she's not a good actress. She was the weakest for me in The Notebook. To the point it was painful to watch. 

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 10:20 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1081Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:24am

This will probably just run until the Tony Awards. It's not selling and is clearly a project to get Audra another Tony.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1082Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:35am

gibsons2 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "gibsons2 said: "Joy has wonderful voice, but she's kind of a really underwhelming actress. Too early to say."

"

As I said, her voice is wonderful, very powerful, no doubt about it.But she's not a good actress. She was the weakest for me in The Notebook. To the point it was painful to watch.
"

Thankfully, casting directors don’t agree with you.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#1083Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:35am

Boring casting choices. From Danny to this.  They will probably all be wonderful.  But you kind of already know what you’re going to get.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1084Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:41am

KevinKlawitter said: "I think the lesson here is that when a show is designed as a star vehicle, take rumors that the supporting cast will be filled with actors who are as big as or bigger stars than your headliner with a grain of salt."

This.

There is one star role in GYPSY.

And whether the supporting cast is Tony nominees/winners or good solid stage actors like we have here, it will not make a lick of difference at the box office.

I think Scott Rudin's love of starry ensemble casts has broken some brains.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1085Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:43am

Out of genuine curiosity for the folks who keep saying this, who would you all have cast that would have delivered a performance you couldn’t already picture in your head in some way?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1086Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:48am

Mylinda Hull as Electra is just genius casting and kind of the most excited I’ve been for anything in this production so far. 

gibsons2
#1087Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:49am

Call_me_jorge said: "gibsons2 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "gibsons2 said: "Joy has wonderful voice, but she's kind of a really underwhelming actress. Too early to say."

"

As I said, her voice is wonderful, very powerful, no doubt about it.But she's not a good actress. She was the weakest for me in The Notebook. To the point it was painful to watch.
"

Thankfully, casting directors don’t agree with you.
"

She wasn't nominated for Tony in either musical actresses category for a reason. But sure, it's wonderful she's working in multiple upcoming productions.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1088Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:55am

In a Broadway season that is very packed with celebrities, it is wild people are dismissing a production for casting… theater names. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

berniesb!tch
#1089Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 10:59am

So excited for all the casting but MOST excited for Lesli. So happy to have her back on Broadway!

AEA AGMA SM
#1090Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 11:08am

gibsons2 said: "She wasn't nominated for Tony in eithermusical actresses category for a reason. But sure, it's wonderful she's working in multiple upcoming productions."

I haven’t seen Joy Woods on stage, so I don’t have any opinion yet on her acting ability, but saying someone didn’t get nominated for an award means they are a bad actor is quite the leap there. Lots of great performances don’t get nominated for awards each season

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1091Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 11:12am

berniesb!tch said: "So excited for all the casting but MOST excited for Lesli. So happy to have her back on Broadway!"

Kind of shocked that this is only her third Broadway show (after MATILDA, where she did 3 years of its 4-year run, and the short-lived DAMES AT SEA revival).

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#1092Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 11:19am

If some of you can already picture so vividly what these performances will look like under the direction of George C. Wolfe, in accord with his still largely unknowable concept for this production, your imaginations are much more capable than mine!

mshalo18
#1093Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 11:20am

gibsons2 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "gibsons2 said: "Joy has wonderful voice, but she's kind of a really underwhelming actress. Too early to say."

"

"

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Joy’s acting was painful to watch- but she wasn’t doing anything earth-shattering on stage, either. She has a fabulous voice, but none of Louise’s musical numbers require powerhouse vocals. I guess time will tell. 

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 11:20 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1094Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 11:21am

AEA AGMA SM said: "gibsons2 said: "She wasn't nominated for Tony in eithermusical actresses category for a reason. But sure, it's wonderful she's working in multiple upcoming productions."

I haven’t seen Joy Woods on stage, so I don’t have any opinion yet on her acting ability, but saying someone didn’t get nominated for an award means they are a bad actor is quite the leap there. Lots of great performances don’t get nominated for awards each season
"

Especially since The Notebook was largely shut out of the Tonys overall.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1095Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 11:38am

I'm happy with the casting it's just that some of the hype about the announcement made it seem like we were going to have some shocking star event or novelty when what we've got is (hopefully) a very excellent group of talented actors that are going to do an amazing job doing what George C Wolfe asks of them. That's fine but I won't be excited until I see the actual work. 

It would be like if we got Marin Mazzie (RIP who I'm sure would have been excellent in the role and I ADORE) in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC if people recall here was rumoured after all the hype around an Oscar winner and star name (in that case the casting came through and WAS exciting!). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1096Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 12:16pm

berniesb!tch said: "So excited for all the casting but MOST excited for Lesli. So happy to have her back on Broadway!"

Same here. Saw her twice in Matilda and enjoyed her and fell in love with her after seeing her in "Who's Holiday". As much as I love Audra and George C., I really felt no reason to run to see this. Now I am thinking I might, just to see Lesli!

Just give the world Love.

copskid949 Profile Photo
copskid949
#1097Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 12:20pm

Look I’m just gonna say it. Regardless of how you feel about people leaking information, Sweaty Oracle was on the money this entire time. Even the casting that didn’t happen seems to line up in the timeline for how long it actually took them to solidify and reveal a cast relative to opening.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#1098Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 12:24pm

Kad said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "ljay889 said: "I’m sorry, but I find this supporting cast so underwhelming."

"

Those rumors always seemed like wishful thinking and dream casting at best.
"

Keke actually wasn't dream-casting - she was in talks, but another project came up that interfered timing-wise.

LesMiz24601 Profile Photo
LesMiz24601
#1099Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 12:32pm

Who thinks the additional casting will include: 

Tulsa: John Cardoza

Rose’s Dad: Dorian Harewood

Videos