News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 43

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

saxpower
#1050Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 12:47pm

A question regarding speculation about casting the "older" June.  It's been a while since I saw the show, but isn't she only in the show for the second half or so of Act I?   Does she return at any point after she runs off with Tulsa?   (I'll assume spoiler warnings aren't needed on a 60+ year old show).  Assuming my memory is correct, there doesn't seem much point in spending money to get a "name" to play the role, and more established performers won't be as interested.    Just curious if the casting of June is all that much of a consideration. 

Dolly80
#1051Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 12:54pm

SouthAmericanCichlids said: "I listen to the original because I think it has the best arrangement and biggest band, but I wish it had thé clarity of subsequent recordings."

Not when you actually watched it live they weren’t. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1052Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 12:58pm

saxpower said: "A question regarding speculation about casting the "older" June. It's been a while since I saw the show, but isn't she only in the show for the second half or so of Act I? Does she return at any point after she runs off with Tulsa? (I'll assume spoiler warnings aren't needed on a 60+ year old show). Assuming my memory is correct, there doesn't seem much point in spending money to get a "name" to play the role, and more established performers won't be as interested. Just curious if the casting of June is all that much of a consideration."

June is not in Act 2.

No Broadway production of GYPSY has ever cast a "name" as June (or as Louise or Herbie, for that matter).

If rumors are to be believed, Jordan Tyson of THE NOTEBOOK is playing Older June. Jordan fits with the trend of not casting a "name" or an established performer as June.

Updated On: 9/23/24 at 12:58 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1053Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 2:01pm

June is a pretty thankless role, imo. I would easily rank it behind Herbie, Louise, and even any of the stripper trio- the strippers get less stagetime but they get easily one of the best songs in the show and there's a lot more room for reinterpretation of those characters.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SouthAmericanCichlids
#1054Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 2:08pm

I think the role of June has a lot of room for interpretation and it is a great role. I absolutely adore Leigh Ann Larkin's rendition of June and I wish she had the chance to do more broadway after it. (I love her singing The Miller's Son too) I mean, June Havoc was a real person that has actual material that they could use to make the character, both physically and vocally. And I love “If Momma Was Married,” especially Larkin's version of it. I think June has the ability to be done very well and with quite a bit of depth, she just doesn't have the stage time and so doesn't attract performers as much as, say Louise would. I honestly think June has the ability to have much more depth than Herbie does.

Updated On: 9/23/24 at 02:08 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#1055Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 2:18pm

To the above point, where is the poster who always cites June smoking that damn cigarette in the Mendes revival as if it was some earth-shattering moment of brilliance? Should be along any minute now...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1056Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 4:04pm

Louise and June being announced tomorrow, and the silhouettes are looking an awful lot like Joy and Jordan, as rumored.

https://www.instagram.com/p/DARbTiapXGa/?igsh=MWc3aHFsNzIydHZ1aw==

Updated On: 9/23/24 at 04:04 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1057Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 4:08pm

So are the strippers! 

Oh look, a bibu!

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#1058Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 7:11pm

Kad said: "June is a pretty thankless role, imo. I would easily rank it behind Herbie, Louise, and even any of the stripper trio- the strippers get less stagetime but they get easily one of the best songs in the show and there's a lot more room for reinterpretation of those characters."

Leigh Ann Larkin made an absolute meal of that role in the LuPone revival, so the material certainly supports character development for June. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1059Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 8:38pm

Some fun surprises on the strippers casting and just wow............as I just found out from my agent friend but the announcement is coming tomorrow and this board has casting right for Louise & June. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#1060Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 9:19pm

SouthAmericanCichlids said: "I think the role of June has a lot of room for interpretation and it is a great role. I absolutely adore Leigh Ann Larkin's rendition of June and I wish she had the chance to do more broadway after it. (I love her singing The Miller's Son too) I mean, June Havoc was a real person that has actual material that they could use to make the character, both physically and vocally. And I love “If Momma Was Married,” especially Larkin's version of it. I think June has the ability to be done very well and with quite a bit of depth, she just doesn't have the stage time and so doesn't attract performers as much as, say Louise would. I honestly think June has the ability to have much more depth than Herbie does."

I agree completely. Leigh Ann Larkin is incredible, where is she these days?

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#1061Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 9:32pm

Robbie2 said: "Some fun surprises on the strippers casting and just wow............as I just found out from my agent friend but the announcement is coming tomorrow and this board hascasting right for Louise & June."

No hints?

SouthAmericanCichlids
#1062Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 9:34pm

HenryTDobson said: "SouthAmericanCichlids said: "I think the role of June has a lot of room for interpretation and it is a great role. I absolutely adore Leigh Ann Larkin's rendition of June and I wish she had the chance to do more broadway after it. (I love her singing The Miller's Son too) I mean, June Havoc was a real person that has actual material that they could use to make the character, both physically and vocally. And I love “If Momma Was Married,” especially Larkin's version of it. I think June has the ability to be done very well and with quite a bit of depth, she just doesn't have the stage time and so doesn't attract performers as much as, say Louise would. I honestly think June has the ability to have much more depth than Herbie does."
I agree completely. Leigh Ann Larkin is incredible, where is she these days?
"

Yeah, I couldn't find much info. She hasn't had any Broadway credits since ALNM and I haven't seen her down for any films or tv shows since... Someone with better FBI skills than me can probably find it.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1063Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 9:51pm

HenryTDobson said: "I agree completely. Leigh Ann Larkin is incredible, where is she these days?"

Got married 2 years ago. Looks like she does a couple guest spots on BLUE BLOODS each season and has done a handful of other TV episodes, but hasn't been onstage post-pandemic. She played Mary (the Sierra Boggess role) in HARMONY at the Ahmanson and Alliance a decade ago. Played Sally for the final 6 months of the last CABARET tour in 2017 and did ORIENT EXPRESS at McCarter in 2018, but that, like HARMONY, never made it to New York...tough for an actor or agent to know what's going to go and what isn't if they have the good fortune of choosing between parts.

Some people's careers come and go...and sometimes come back, and then they go away again, and then they return.

Ben Brantley was quite negative towards her performance in the revival of ALNM ("Leigh Ann Larkin, as the earthy maid Petra, oversells the 11 o’clock number “The Miller’s Son,” a hymn to sex as a life force, with autoerotic gestures that suggest an audition for a pole-dancing position.")

Updated On: 9/23/24 at 09:51 PM

ColorTheHours048
#1064Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/23/24 at 10:03pm

I’ve heard Lesli Margherita is Tessie Tura. Heard a few names for the others, but nothing “official”.

MemorableUserName
EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1066Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:02am

Margherita is now confirmed; in addition, Lili Thomas and Mylinda Hull will play Mazeppa and Electra. Hull will also play Ms. Cratchitt. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 9/24/24 at 09:02 AM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1067Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:05am

Alas, confirmation for probably the worst kept secrets on Broadway

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1068Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:06am

I’m sorry, but I find this supporting cast so underwhelming.  

nativenewyorker2
#1069Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:10am

quizking101 said: "Alas, confirmation for probably the worst kept secrets on Broadway"

Well when you’ve had too many drinks at the Mattress opening night party and start telling your casting to a community that loves gossip it ain’t staying a secret for long 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#1070Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:12am

Robbie2 said: "Some fun surprises on the strippers casting and just wow............as I just found out from my agent friend but the announcement is coming tomorrow and this board hascasting right for Louise & June."

Where’s the wow?

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 09:12 AM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1071Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:12am

nativenewyorker2 said: "quizking101 said: "Alas, confirmation for probably the worst kept secrets on Broadway"

Well when you’ve had too many drinks at the Mattress opening night party and start telling your casting to a community that lovesgossip it ain’t staying a secret for long
"

For what it’s worth, Louise felt predestined for Woods since she was in SIX. :)

Oh look, a bibu!

ElephantLoveMedley
#1072Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:22am

ljay889 said: "I’m sorry, but I find this supporting cast so underwhelming."

Same, especially after rumors like Keke Palmer and Paul Giamatti were being shared a few months ago.

I'm still very much looking forward to this but I'm no longer optimistic that this will be a commercial success.

ColorTheHours048
#1073Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:26am

Bunch of grumps in the thread this AM. I’m personally thrilled for Joy and Jordan. I thought both of their performances were wonderful in The Notebook and I’m excited to see particularly Jordan work with material that’s better than what Younger Allie has to work with.

Joy is going to win a Tony for this. Mark my words.

SouthAmericanCichlids
#1074Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:29am

ColorTheHours048 said: "Bunch of grumps in the thread this AM. I’m personally thrilled for Joy and Jordan. I thought both of their performances were wonderful in The Notebook and I’m excitedto see particularly Jordan work with material that’s better than what Younger Allie has to work with.

Joy is going to win a Tony for this. Mark my words.
"

I'm with you, I'm so pumped on this casting!!! I also think it's too earlier to say if it will be a hit or not... Also, we still don't know who's gonna play Tusla! Granted he's probably the smallest of these characters, but I'm still excited to find out!

Videos