News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre

2011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#22011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 2:21pm

That makes sense.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#22011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 2:36pm

Totally makes sense...I like it.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#32011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 2:41pm

Ah poo! There goes my plan of being there if they did it in Time Square. 2011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre

Gothampc
#42011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 2:51pm

I think the Beacon only seats about 2800. Somebody is going to have to pare down the guest list.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#52011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 2:57pm

I was just thinking the SAME THING Gothampc....I was like, ok Radio City looks always packed during the Tonys (maybe except for the very last balcony), and the Beacon looks a lot smaller...maybe the public won't be able to purchase tickets this year...and or, each person is only allowed one or no guests at all....and...what if someone is seated in the balcony and wins LOL...they have to fly them down to accept the award...we shall see...
Updated On: 11/10/10 at 02:57 PM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#62011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 2:57pm

Yeaha! That's about 4 blocks from my apartment. The Beacon is nice though. So maybe they won't do a ton of sold tickets to non-invited peeps. I like the choice. Plus UWS is so much nicer than trudging through the theatre district.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#72011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 3:00pm

each person is only allowed one or no guests at all

I thought they were only allowed one guest anyway.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#82011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 3:05pm

Maybe, but I have seen like the sons and daughters and the mothers near winners sometime...I could be wrong I don't know how many guests they are allowed for sure.

givesmevoice
#92011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 3:08pm

I think they're allowed one guest and the other people who come have to buy tickets, but I'm not positive. Although I'm sure Patti LuPone's kid didn't have to pay for his ticket the two times he went.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

beautywickedlover
#102011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 3:27pm

It's a great choice. I think there will be plenty of room on the stage for "Sister Act" and "Catch Me if You Can" to perform if they are nominated for Best Musical.

Gothampc
#112011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 3:48pm

"Although I'm sure Patti LuPone's kid didn't have to pay for his ticket the two times he went."

I was just thinking that because in Patti's autobio, she makes two points: there are thousands of producers on each show and in her contract she specifies how many tickets she gets to her opening night.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

givesmevoice
#122011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 3:51pm

To be fair, I'm not sure how many tickets she asks for to opening night, but asking for one more ticket to the Tonys is hardly asking for much.

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#142011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:14pm

At Radio City, nominees got one free ticket and had the option to buy more near them at about $900 - 1000 a seat.
Updated On: 11/10/10 at 06:14 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#152011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:22pm

According to the article the Beacon holds 2,894 people.

Just give the world Love.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#162011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 8:39pm

The Beacon was once dubbed The Little Roxy as the rotunda is a much smaller version of the original Roxy's . Both theaters were designed by the same architect W. W. Auschlager

It is a shame about the 175 th ST losing it but I never understood the logistics of it.

Poster Emeritus

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#172011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 10:20pm

"what if someone is seated in the balcony and wins LOL...they have to fly them down to accept the award...we shall see... "

Julie Taymor is working on that as we speak! :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#182011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:02pm

She will fly them in on a Spiderman rig

Poster Emeritus

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#192011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:05pm

Zip line to the stage. Should be an interesting ceremony.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#202011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:06pm

Onstage seats.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#212011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:18pm

One thing to make the Tony Awards complete - late comers. We need people arriving late & climbing over people while other people are trying to get out to accept awards. Make it a true Broadway experience.

Poster Emeritus

Fosse76
#222011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:28pm

"One thing to make the Tony Awards complete - late comers. We need people arriving late & climbing over people while other people are trying to get out to accept awards. Make it a true Broadway experience."

And a cell phone going off during a heart-wrenching acceptance speech.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#232011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/11/10 at 10:39am

Thank you, KirbyKat! The news makes me incredibly happy - It was my # 1 choice.

The backstage is very shallow, so it will be interesting to see how the designers will work with relatively limited space.

The Beacon is my dream house for any future FOLLIES revival...
More restored Beacon pix

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#242011 Tony Awards Move to Beacon Theatre
Posted: 11/12/10 at 1:27am

For what it's worth, the place still seats about 900 more than the Gershwin, which is where the last non-RCMH Tonys were held in 1999.

I think they will cut back significantly on the seats made available to the general public, as well as the discounted seats that are typically made available to the casts and crews of currently running Broadway shows. But otherwise, I don't think the smaller capacity will have much effect on how the whole shindig is put together.

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial

Videos