News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

show bloopers

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#25re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 6:27pm

the other night at RENT during "Happy New Year" Harley's camera slipped out of his hands and landed in the lap of an audience member in the 2nd row.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

BWNUT
#26re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 7:17pm

Scary blooper: Erich Bergen (Bob Gaudio)of the touring JB falling into the trap door for the lift in LA. There was a collective loud gasp from the audience. They stopped the show for about ten minutes or so before Eric Gutman (now on b'way) took over. Erich missed about a week's worth of performances recovering.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#27re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 7:21pm

Were you there for that?

Some first-hand info:
http://theguter.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-wasnt-on-stage-when-fall-occurred.html
http://jerseyboysblog.com/?p=1700

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#28re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 7:22pm

I saw the Aida tour a few years ago and during the scene change in the beginning from the museum to Egypt, some of the museum exhibit set pieces got stuck . So then the museum drop rose like it was supposed to and the egyptian sails came in, only you still had the museum pieces further downstage. They stayed there for about 5 minutes before a group of stagehands ran on and rolled them off. It was kind of funny to see the actors try to work around all these set pieces that were in their way.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

BWNUT
#29re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 8:38pm

Yes, I was. I just sat there stunned like the rest of the audience wondering if Erich was fine. There must have been a mad scramble backstage but the show went on smoothly after an announcement of substitutes, although it was hard to get back into the flow of the show with a Bob Gaudio who was suddenly of a completely different looks and personality. It must have been nerve-wracking for Eric Gutman to get into character that late in the show. He got a well-deserved applause at the end. It was definitely one of those unpredictable experiences that makes the theater an adventure for both actors and theatergoers.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#30re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 8:56pm

lizzie, yupp I was in BB 111 a couple seats over from where it happened

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#31re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 8:56pm

I was talking to BWNUT, actually...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

allyk Profile Photo
allyk
#32re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 9:03pm

Another "Whipped into Shape" mishap yesterday afternoon - first, Nikki and I think April's jump rope got tangled up for a second or 2, then towards the end of the number, Nikki lost hold of one of the handles. She covered wonderfully by saying "Do as I say, ladies... not as I do!" I guess yesterday was NOT a good day for those jump ropes!

MadProps86 Profile Photo
MadProps86
#33re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/17/07 at 10:43pm

I thought of yesterday's jump rope blooper as soon as I saw the thread. Nikki covered it so well and made it hilarious.

Another Blonde blooper I saw happened during the court room scene. I can't remember the exact moment, but there was a girl about three rows behind me from the front of the orchestra with a particularly "interesting" laugh best defined as a cackle. She did it when no one else did and Laura Bell had to stop herself, put her hand over her face to not laugh, then jumped back into it. My friends and I were talking to two cast members afterward and one said, "How about Cackly McCackler?"

The_Jackal2 Profile Photo
The_Jackal2
#34re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/18/07 at 12:05am

Several years ago, I saw the tour of Flower Drum Song. I don't remember exactly what happened but two of the characters were talking and someone had a line about "You aren't going to get your fortune cookies." It's a funny line in the context of the show, and the actors looked at each other and absolutely lost it. They could not stop cracking up and everytime they started to calm themselves down, they'd turn and look at each other and started laughing again. This went on for literally a few minutes while they audience continued to laugh with them. It was one of those really genuine and cute moments where they could not stop themselves.

BARNONE
#35re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/18/07 at 12:08am

Yeah, April's rope also got caught up last night and she tried to get back into the choreography but when she couldn't she just ran off stage with her jump rope since she was on the end anyway. haha.

tinkerscanne
#36re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/18/07 at 12:32pm

When I saw Hairspray last year, Paul Vogt was Edna and during "You're Timeless To Me" Edna's padding (I hope you know where I'm going with this) was out of place, so Wilbur just kind of put them back where they belonged. It took at least a few minutes before the audience AND actors got it together enough for them to finish the song.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#37re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/18/07 at 4:39pm

Here's Laura Bell Bundy's shoe flying off in to the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgVT_qflwY&feature=related

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#38re: show bloopers
Posted: 12/18/07 at 6:04pm

tinkers, that is hilarious. I'm cracking up just picturing it.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Sant
#39re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:57pm

This happened in the sunday Dec 16 evening performance, the same night the jumprope went flying into the audience in "Whipped Into Shape".

There was this young kid in the auditorium and in the scene right before "Take It Like A Man" Elle calls Emmet a butt-head. This kid instantly repeated the word "butt-head" and blurted it out so loud and clear that the whole audience heard it - as did the actors as well! Christian Borle was struggling not to laugh, Laura Bell Bundy kept it together a bit better. Borle turned his eyes to the floor, LBB kept looking into the audience as if she was deep in her thoughts. The audience just roared with laughter! LBB ad-libbed something, I couldn't hear what she said cause I was laughing myself. After a while Borle tried to continue the scene with his line "I can't believe you called me that! No one has called me a butt-head since 3rd grade!" LBB just lost it and said "Yes they have!" and cracked up. Which made Borle lose it too. Eventually, after he and LBB - and the audience! - had calmed down, Borle just smiled and said "Where are we?!", LBB replied "I have no idea!! Let's go!!" and they just walked around the stage and continued the show.

After the curtain calls as LBB made a speech about the Broadway Cares fund raising (it was the last night!), after she had asked for the jumprope back, the kid blurted out something again(!!) and LBB looked where the kid was sitting and laughed and said "Oh my god, you're The Butt-Head Kid, aren't you!?! Honey, you made my day!!!"

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#40re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:07pm

tinkers ~ I saw that happen a couple of times when Jerry Mathers was in. They'd get a little...um...overenthusiastic in "Timeless to Me" and Paul had to readjust. The second time they both lost it.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jigblob Profile Photo
jigblob
#41re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 7:08pm

At the matinee of legally blonde on 1/5 during the scene where paulette is quizzing elle in her room, elle like stepped and her shoe was like falling off and she was like "oh! i almost lost m'shoe." then her shoe flew off a few feet in front of her and she said something like "ah, i did lose m'shoe!!" and she picked up up and made this really funny face and kind of hopped around putting it on for a few seconds as the rest of the scene played out. the people with me didn't even notice that it was a blooper she played it out real well and it was pretty funny too.

PhantomTango1 Profile Photo
PhantomTango1
#42re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 7:18pm

Love the butt-head story, Sant!

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#43re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 7:33pm

i love the butt head story.
i was also at the 1/5 matinee too and did reconize the blopper and no one around me noticed it either. LBB is great when something goes wrong big or just a tad bit. i was wishing though of another whipped into shape blopper though.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#44re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 7:38pm

One time recently but post-Glover/pre-Saget I was at Drowsy in the front row pretty much right in front of MIC. Jay Douglas was on (and was brilliant). As soon as he started with "I hate theatre..." I knew the mic wasn't working (or was off or something). He went for a little while until they figured out they needed to change them out, so when he said "When I'm feeling blue I like to listen to my records. But before I do that, I always pee, so I'll be right back." and scooted off-stage as they brought the curtain down for a few minutes. The people around me had no idea it wasn't supposed to start like that (the bathroom break). It was brilliant.

(He said at the stage door later the stage manager was motioning to him frantically to get off, and that way just popped into his head.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

IsolatingAge
#46re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 8:40pm

When I saw Rent on tour in Philly last week Heinz Winkler made two VERY noticable mistakes.
The first was during One Song Glory he repeated the lyric "One song, a song that rings true. Truth like a blazing fire. An eternal flame" and then was lost until "Time flies, and then no need to endure anymore."

And, I'm not sure if this one was his fault or not, but he played the opening chords to "Your Eyes" then sang the first lyrics, and then there was silence. And I'm in the first row and I look over at the music director and he's waving his hands at the guitarist in a way that said "Larry! Wake up!" So, they started the song from the top.
Also, Paul introduced himself as Gordon because Gordon was not yet onstage, but the backstage of the Academy of Music is massive, so I don't blame the actor for getting lost.

Also, this is my favorite blooper ever.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Blq_6VomgA

You must think I'm still sixteen. I dropped out of high school for a reason. And I don't care if you're pretty. I'm not admitting you are right. My soul is not a stage. I won't pretend I'm anything I'm not

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#47re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 9:25pm

A friend saw RENT one time when whoever was playing Collins forgot the line about where the ATM was. She said it was:

Collins: I rewired the ATM.

(silence)

Roger: The one at the Food Emporium?

Collins: Oh yeah. That one.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#48re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 11:26pm

I got the not so legal dvd of that LB performance when the shoe flew off.I must have watched the whole show about 3 times before i finally realized what happened lol.She saved it so well though and the end of the song with the note and the jump was great

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

srgr8 Profile Photo
srgr8
#49re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/10/08 at 11:38pm

I love how half of these are of LB...

including mine. Not incredibly funny or anything, but in the dialogue during Harvard Variations on 1/2 (when Elle comes in, introduces herself as does Enid), LBB exclaimed "Omigod...both of our names start with an A." LBB just made a funny face like "what am i talking about.."

"What does not kill us makes us HOTTER!" --Legally Blonde: The Musical

"Love the art in you, not yourself in the art." --Konstantin Stanislavsky

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#50re: show bloopers
Posted: 1/11/08 at 3:14am

I'm sure I've seen other things that would make me ask questions, but the big one in my mind right now is Hairspray. I notice the actors do a lot of dancing around (and even jumping over) the pit on stage and it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Has anything ever gone wrong during a performance?

Oh, speaking of accidents waiting to happen, what about Robert's roller skating in Drowsy? Or the skating in Xanadu or Little Mermaid, for that matter...they all look like that could cause problems.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 1/11/08 at 03:14 AM

Videos