News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

musical theater/colleges- Page 2

musical theater/colleges

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#25re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/6/04 at 12:16am

If you're serious about musical theatre as a career, it's very smart to study in New York City- the best resources and opportunities are there. The best schools in NY for MT are:

CAP 21 at Tish, NYU
Julliard
Marymount Manhattan College

All 3 are very hard to get into - hardest being Julliard, then NYU, then MMC. MMC is the least hardest to get into, but it's still very very difficult. Have a few backup choices.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Mamma's_Boy
#26re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/7/04 at 11:18pm

What about up in Boston? Try Emerson or BU or BC maybe? There's no MTH at Julliard.

broadwaybound3 Profile Photo
broadwaybound3
#27re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/7/04 at 11:20pm

You might concider studying in Canada- its a money saver and UT (Toronto) has a great theater program. Or UC (Cinncinati) They have a really nice theater program.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#28re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 12:34am

umm..Julliard teaches musical theater.

Well..that's sure to surpise them.

And I'm not an advocate of studying in NY. Too easy to get distracted and go out and audition and get a job when you haven't studied the craft and end up Equity and unemployed for 5 years.

The only currently university to teach singing and acting for MT is Oklahoma City University. They have produced two of the current leading ladies of Broadway..Kristen and Kelli O'Hara. And a smaller one (Jordan Ballard). And Stacey Logan gets thrown in there somewhere.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

#29re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 1:04am

Um... I'm doin JUST FINE studying in NYC... and those who have dropped out or "taken leave" are coming back next semester... ya gotta have SOME sense to get into NYU at least...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#30re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 1:06am

I study in NYC as well - there's no better place to do it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

erinrebecca
#31re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 9:40am

There's a lot of misinformation being thrown around here. It is not an uncommon thing for people to double major in drama and another subject, or MT and another subject. I'm a drama major at Tisch and am double majoring, as are a majority of my friends. I also know many CAP21 kids who are double majoring. And I can tell you that we're not planning on being in college for seven years. If you're smart (and you have to be to get into NYU!), and hardworking, it can be done. Don't let anyone tell you it can't. For those of you saying that any school which would allow it isn't a good school, well, you just don't know what you're talking about. Tisch and UMich are two of the top drama/MT schools in the country and they both not only allow it but encourage it.

And Juilliard does not offer a degree in MT. You can get a straight drama BFA or study music, but there is no MT program there.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#32re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 9:58am

Here's a question -

If you didn't go through a musical theatre program in college, what are your training options? I know there are drama schools around the tri-state area and I've looked at some in the city - are they equivalent to training in a college program?

mi7269
#33re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 11:08am

I was in Cap 21 and Juiliard for my undergrad, If you want to major in music theatre I would suggest-

CCM
Carneige Melon
Juiliard
Cap21

BEing in ny is not a huge perk. AS far as double majoring goes at NYU yes you can do it, it is very demanding and I would not suggest it. You can always goto grad school if u fail in the theatre world. I would not let fear stop you when your so young

mi7269
#34re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 11:08am

I was in Cap 21 and Juiliard for my undergrad, If you want to major in music theatre I would suggest-

CCM
Carneige Melon
Juiliard
Cap21

BEing in ny is not a huge perk. AS far as double majoring goes at NYU yes you can do it, it is very demanding and I would not suggest it. You can always goto grad school if u fail in the theatre world. I would not let fear stop you when your so young

erinrebecca
#35re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 11:19am

One would think that if someone went to Juilliard, that they'd at least know how to spell it correctly. And again, Juilliard does not offer a MT major.

BlueEyedKate
#36re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 12:46pm

First, I would recommend against majoring out and out in musical theater. I'm an advocate of majoring in theater in general, and taking voice lessons and dance lessons on the side. You get more plain acting experience in just a simple theater major.

On another note, there's pros and cons to studying in NYC and doing a double in MT/something else. I don't study in NYC, I'm not a theater major (or any art related major for that matter), and I'm pursuing acting upon graduation. I fell into acting by chance through taking a class at my university, considered for a brief moment doing a triple major (I'm currently a double major with a very large amount of overlapping between the two majors), realized I would be insane for trying to do that, and simply taken classes and more personal training from professors on the side. It was the best decision for me at the time, knowing my personal history, my own life ambitions, and what direction I want to go in. I auditioned for plays with the help of people in my theater department, got into an Equity production in a large regional market, took a semester off to act in a play, and am moving to NYC to pursue acting full-time when I graduate. It was a decision I made to do this, and a decision I don't regret.

And that's, essentially, what this will boil down to you. People will tell you that it can work, people will tell you that it will never work, and at the end of the day, it's ALL up to you. The people on this board have good, well-intentioned advice, but we will never see the complete picture of your life, your ambitions, and your goals. Just be aware of the pros and cons, and by all means, be realistic.

broadway_star_tomorrow Profile Photo
broadway_star_tomorrow
#37re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:06pm

I definitely advocate double majoring if at all possible. Having some sort of a legitimate fallback plan is wise, and will allow you to pursue other avenues in the future, if you so choose. In addition, depending upon what the other major is, you may learn things that can help you in your acting career.
I personally am a college senior, double majoring (though neither major is in theater). Part of that has to do with my dissatisfaction with the theater department at my school, and part of it has to do with the fact that while theater is my passion, there are other things in life I love. I am graduating a year early, and plan to move to New York to pursue a career in acting. But I also know that I will always have my degree to fall back on, and one of the best masters departments for communications (one of my majors) is at NYU. So, really anything is possible, if you are willing to make sacrafices.

AKA Idina Pashmina

Type_A_Tiff: There's nothing hard about her. Broadway_star_tomorrow: Yeah. Her arteries.

DoReMi Profile Photo
DoReMi
#38re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:19pm

Agree that Oklahoma City University is the place currently to study musical theater. If you haven't looked there, you aint' serious about musical theater.

http://www.okcu.edu/music/

xanado_girl Profile Photo
xanado_girl
#39re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:23pm

I suggest that you look @ Emerson College in Boston. They have great programs in theatre and communications. And they encourage students to double major and make their own majors. I'm transfering there next year and would definately recommend looking into it.

"Is it your booty? Is that what it is? Is it that booty of yours? I hope it is!"-Zanna, Don't!

DoReMi Profile Photo
DoReMi
#40re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 11/8/04 at 2:25pm

And Emerson had a recent faculty shake up and was without a MT program director.

Not a program I'd be running to.

Coondiggitydogg
#41re: musical theater/colleges
Posted: 4/3/05 at 12:27pm

At northwestern (just accepted YAY) you can double major between the school of music and the the other 3 schools. AFter your first year in the school of music you can have the oppotunity to audition for the musical theatre certificate. IT'S AWESOME. it is 5 years but still. Jenny Powers, Gregg Edelman, current fiyero, they have all gone through it. Many more too. check out some playbills as proof

I personally will be double majoring in either Music and Poli sci at Northwestern or MT and Poli Sci at UNC Chapel Hill or UVA

does ne one have ne insight in those last two schools. I am having a tremendously hard time deciding betweeen the 3. I want to do MT and northwestern has an amazing program but i dont like the feel of the campus and spirit of the school. plus it is 5 years and the others i can finish in 4. the poli sci program at the other schools is much better. I am unsure about the training i would get at UNC and UVA, even though UVa has some people on tv.
thanks Updated On: 4/3/05 at 12:27 PM

Videos