News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?- Page 8

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#175What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 12:46pm

I still cant get myself to watch this year's presentation. But yes I agree that Hairspray would be great.

Whatever they do, I hope they wont go for the same way they staged this year's production. I did not like LED screens instead of sets like the previous years.

#176What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 12:46pm

Annie

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#177What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 1:13pm

I like the idea of "White Christmas" too.

What really makes people think that any musical that had a movie produced with A-listers in the past decade would ever be able to top that A-lister cast to warrant a live TV production (Hairspray, Dreamgirls, Into the Woods, Annie, Les Mis, Nine, Chicago, etc)? It won't happen. 

Updated On: 12/8/15 at 01:13 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#178What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 1:17pm

They're not gonna do it, but a live Into the Woods would so absolutely work. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#179What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 1:20pm

musicaljen said: "I still cant get myself to watch this year's presentation...

I'm pretty sure they'll survive if you decide never to watch it. They bested your precious SOUND OF MUCUS in every way, shape and form.

So don't watch it.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#180What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 1:28pm

They should go out on a limb and hire Lin Manuel  Miranda to wrote a new musical exclusively for the broadcast. 

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Danster
#181What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 3:01pm

I'm pretty sure they'll survive if you decide never to watch it. They bested your precious SOUND OF MUCUS in every way, shape and form.

It was so inspirational.. I have already visited five stylists to try and make me like Elijah Kelly. I wonder if I change my fashion and go walking around looking like Kelly or any of the Emerald city

"

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#182What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/8/15 at 6:04pm

skies said: "They should go out on a limb and hire Lin Manuel  Miranda to wrote a new musical exclusively for the broadcast"

It would take about 6 years, if he writes it as good as Hamilton.

Re live Into the Woods, I agree completely.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

#183What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/14/15 at 11:20am

The Music Man starring Seth MacFarlane and Sierra Boggess!

broadwayboy223
#184What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/14/15 at 11:41am

If they did Music Man I would hope to god they get Megan Hilty. 

Liza's Headband
#185What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/14/15 at 1:07pm

They have considered Music Man the last two years with Timberlake and Bell. They were unable to secure those two, however, so they went another direction. Now that THE WIZ has been deemed as more successful than Peter Pan, it's likely they go a different route with something a bit more contemporary. 

#186What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/14/15 at 1:57pm

I understand that the success of The Wiz makes NBC look at more modern shows, but what would appeal to the larger audience out there? (Annie?  Blecccch!)  The beauty of the older shows is their universality, and that's what draws advertisers.  

nightcapriot Profile Photo
nightcapriot
#187What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/14/15 at 2:51pm

My Fair Lady!What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?

pmensky
#188What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/14/15 at 10:17pm

I like "How To Succeed..." with Nolan Gould and John Slattery, "Oliver" with Alan Cumming and Megan Hilty, or "Guys and Dolls" with Seth Macfarlane, Megan Hilty, and NPH.  

javero Profile Photo
javero
#189What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/14/15 at 11:09pm

How about Christmas with Bella, Edward, and Jacob?

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#190What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/16/15 at 5:41pm

pmensky said: " "Oliver" with Alan Cumming … "

as Fagin or Bill Sykes? I still see him as a bit youthful (at 50!) so I'd believe him as Bill more than Fagin.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

pmensky
#191What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/16/15 at 7:13pm

MrSweetNAwful said: "pmensky said: " "Oliver" with Alan Cumming … "

as Fagin or Bill Sykes? I still see him as a bit youthful (at 50!) so I'd believe him as Bill more than Fagin.

"

Cumming as Fagan.  I saw Jonathan Pryce play the role in London when he was in his late 40's, and Ron Moody was in his mid-40's when he did the film.  If they bring in someone who is actually age appropriate to play the role, they risk going down the same road they ended up on with Walken in Peter Pan.  Cumming would be brilliant. I can't think of anyone ideal for Bill (unless Tom Hardy's movie career tanks in 2016), but Christian Borle would be serviceable. It would also be cool to see Audra come back to play Nancy alongside her husband, Will, as Bill. There are lots of other fun casting opportunities for the other supporting, adult roles, and all the kids they would cast would help sell it as a family event.  Also, much like The Wiz, there hasn't been a Broadway revival or film remake of this musical, so not only is it well-liked with familiar music, it's also something not frequently seen.

c0113g3b0y
#192What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/17/15 at 3:54am

I know that Oliver! is a 'family' show but isn't Nancy bludgeoned to death by Bill?!?

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

pmensky
#193What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/17/15 at 2:35pm

Yes, but there were nazis in "The Sound of Music" and witches being murdered in "The Wiz."  I think they can cut to commercial, and people will get the idea. There are frequently bad things that happen in family, holiday  programs.  "It's a Wonderful Life" is shown how many times each year?  Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like attempted suicide!

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#194What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/17/15 at 5:05pm

The Nazis in sound of Music are bumbling idiotic buffoons. A girl getting beat to death onstage is not the same as throwing a bucket of water on a witch and having her melt. 

pmensky
#195What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/17/15 at 5:26pm

Nancy is not beaten out in the open on stage.  The film versions of "The Sound of Music," "The Wiz," and "Oliver!" are all rated 'G.'  I'm sure they would figure out how to deal with that moment.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#196What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/17/15 at 5:29pm

Yes I'm very familiar with the show. However, even offstage, Nancy's end is very R rated and incredibly disturbing. Most community theaters change the ending of her fate. 

Updated On: 12/17/15 at 05:29 PM

mikey2573
#197What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/17/15 at 10:13pm

" Most community theaters change the ending of her fate."

Wait......WHAT????  I have NEVER heard of a community theater changing the fate of Nancy in any production of OLIVER!  Of course, that does not mean it has never happened.  But "most" community theaters do this?  I don't think so!  

Danster
#198What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/17/15 at 10:38pm

Whatever they decide to do NBC must break away from stories about children going to fantasy lands. First the Darling family, then Dorothy. One must say isn't Alice in Wonderland, next?

There is a huge list similar to the sound of music which are family friendly and would turn into a good broadcast.

Oliver will never happen any time soon, since a new movie is in the works across the globe

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#199What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/18/15 at 12:48am

c0113g3b0y said: "I know that Oliver! is a 'family' show but isn't Nancy bludgeoned to death by Bill?!?"

It's a family friendly bludgeoning.

No, the other posters are right, it's a really disturbing scene that takes place on stage, but usually behind a ledge so you can't actually see anything. Oliver! is probably the darkest "family musical" ever made. It starts off a bit dark (at the orphanage), gets a bit darker (at the funeral parlor), then Oliver meets Dodger halfway through Act One and things get really light and cheerful. Then halfway through Act Two, right around ‘It's A Fine Life (Reprise)’, it goes back to being a real downer. Even the “happy ending” ultimately can't save it from feeling melancholy.

But I still believe it's one of the better choices NBC could make.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Videos