News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Tonys 2005

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#25re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 1:04am

I wonder if THE FROGS will get ANYTHING...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

thenextfiyero Profile Photo
thenextfiyero
#26re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 1:42pm

Brooklyn will definitly get something costumes-eden for best actress in a musical!!

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#27re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 1:55pm

The score of "the frogs" was okay, not teriffic. Maybe it gets a nomination. After all it would be the first Sondheim show not to get nominated for best score... (or was ACW nominated, I'm not sure)

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#28re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 1:56pm

of course: only if the frogs is voted for as "new musical"...

munkustrap178
#29re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:27pm

Yea, I was going to say - there are only 6 new songs.

thenextfiyero: BROOKLYN won't get a damn thing. Maybe costumes, if the voters were impressed by someone wrapped in tape.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MargoChanning
#30re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:34pm

The Tony committee ruled last month that The Frogs would be deemed a new musical, and thus be eligible for Best Musical, Best Score, etc....

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

munkustrap178
#31re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:45pm

That's interesting. Although I'm not a fan of the score at all, it certainly has a good chance at being nominated, thanks to CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, ALL SHOOOK UP, GOOD VIBRATIONS, BROOKLYN's terrible score, and LITTLE WOMEN's boring score. So, I hope Sondheim is nominated, even though I'm not a fan of the show.

#32re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:45pm

I've marvelled at the embarrassment of riches this season in another thread-- It's so exciting to see a real fight for the nominations after the years that a full slate couldn't be found and we had to go with 2 or 3 slots with a winner a foregone conclusion.

Anyway, with all the talent rolling in, I find myself wondering: Might this be a year when Tony decides to spread the wealth? I can picture "Spelling Bee" getting best score, "Spamalot" best book and "Scoundrels" getting best musical. And the acting nominations are getting more interesting by the day...I can't wait!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#33re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:47pm

I think for potential Best Actress in a Musical nominees, you are looking at Sherie Rene Scott (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels), Victoria Clark (The Light in the Piazza), Christina Applegate (Sweet Charity), Sutton Foster (Little Women) and Erin Dilly (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang).

Scott will be nominated for Scoundrels because she was overlooked for Aida, for which she definitely deserved a nomination. Clark has won extraordinary reviews for Light in the Piazza, even from people who didn't like the show. Applegate is a TV star taking on a marathon Broadway role. Regardless of whether she succeeds or not, nominators will want to reward her for taking it on. Foster will probably get nominated because she is also playing a huge role, though she didn't quite receive as enthusiastic a set of personal notices as she did for Millie. I think Dilly might fill the fifth slot, largely because she has managed to shine in just about everything I've seen her in.

That could all change, depending on a move for 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and how they decide to classify their performers.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 2/23/05 at 02:47 PM

munkustrap178
#34re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:49pm

I totally agree with your choices.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#35re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:59pm

Let's not forget, All Shook Up is getting glowing buzz and doint boffo Box Office biz. It may be a major player in the choreography category and bump "Litte Women" out of the Best Musical category.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

munkustrap178
#36re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 3:01pm

I never thought LITTLE WOMEN would be nominated for best musical. For me, I always thought of:

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
SPAMALOT
SPELLING BEE
LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#37re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 3:03pm

All Shook Up will probably get left out of the Best Musical race.

There are only four slots for Best Musical, and I suspect the nominees will be Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Light in the Piazza, Spamalot and 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (if it moves), or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (if Spelling Bee doesn't move).

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

munkustrap178
#38re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 3:05pm

Oh wow, you're right - I was thinking 5 (Oscars.) Well, SPELLING BEE is definitely transferring.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#39re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 3:10pm

I suspect that it is too, though it's odd that there has been no confirmation of it beyond BroadwayWorld.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

thenextfiyero
#40re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 12:57pm

hey munkustrap178 shut the hell up ass hole

thenextfiyero
#41re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 12:57pm

hey munkustrap178 shut the hell up ass hole

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#42re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 1:01pm

hey, thenextfiyero, be nice. That was VERY rude, and uncalled for.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#43re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 1:08pm

yeah. ouch

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#44re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 1:56pm

THE FROGS is under the listing for BEST THEATERICAL EVENT, not BEST MUSICAL category, they announced that some time ago....

Jane Smith Profile Photo
Jane Smith
#45re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 2:22pm

Updated On: 3/26/05 at 02:22 PM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#46re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 2:26pm

No, Margo was right. The Frogs has been ruled eligible as a new musical, not as a special theatrical event.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#47re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 2:42pm

With Charity out, who will fill the 5th slot for Leading Actress?

I personally hope they consider O'Hare (THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA) as leading and give her some recongition. Would anyone from Spelling Bee be considered as leading or are they all ensemble roles?

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!
Updated On: 3/26/05 at 02:42 PM

MargoChanning
#48re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 2:45pm

I'm sure all of the SPELLING BEE actors will be Featured.

Not sure whether the Tony committee will deem Kelli O'Hara Lead or Featured -- it could go either way, I suppose.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#49re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 3/26/05 at 2:47pm

if little women doesn't get noms for best actress and best musical i'll throw a bitch fit...lol

I think DRS should win for best musical though! yay!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Videos