News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Tonys 2005

BroadwayNick Profile Photo
BroadwayNick
#0Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:39pm

I was just wandering through the Tony website when a thought popped up. What are the eligible shows this year? I can't think of any that are really "Tony Worthy", so what the hell is out there? This is general...just thoughts.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. --Dave Berry

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:40pm

They're all eligible...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayNick Profile Photo
BroadwayNick
#2re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:42pm

Uh...

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. --Dave Berry

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#3re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:48pm

After seeing Spamalot on Saturday afternoon, I think that Sara Ramirez will win the tony for supporting actress. She was incredible!

munkustrap178
#4re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:48pm

What the hell are you talking about?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Chrysanthemum62001
#5re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:51pm

Ahhhh! It's so early, but I'm already getting emotional about the 2005 Tonys.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

joniray
#6re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:52pm

As far as new musicals are concerned, there is a whooping 11 musicals that will be eligible:

The Frogs
Dracula
Brooklyn
Little Women
Good Vibrations
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Spamalot
All Shook Up
Light in the Piazza
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

I didn't see The Frogs or Dracula, and I haven't yet seen Good Vibrations, Light in the Piazza, Chitty or All Shook Up, but of the ones I have seen, I think that DRS, Spamalot and Spelling Bee are all "Tony worthy."

Britt0913 Profile Photo
Britt0913
#7re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:53pm

Does anyone know what day the nominations come out? Every website I've looked on says early May, but I was wondering of anyone on here knew exactly what date.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:53pm

This is going to be the most competitive year we've had in a looooooong time.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Chrysanthemum62001
#9re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:54pm

I agree. It is going to be very close.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

munkustrap178
#10re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:55pm

As if last year wasn't at all competitive? I think this year will be a year of clear, predictable winners and nominees. Althought there are tons of shows opening, very few are even good - of NEW shows, I mean. I don't think it's competitive at all - especially for the musical categories.

Plum
#11re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:55pm

Britt, I'm sure the exact date of the nomination announcement will be announced in turn. Be patient- it's only February. :)

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#12re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:56pm

Well, since Spelling Bee's coming to Broadway, I don't think Little Women will be nominated for Best Musical re: Tonys 2005

munkustrap178
#13re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/20/05 at 11:57pm

Exactly.

MargoChanning
#14re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:00am

I disagree, I think this is a VERY solid year for new musicals (not so great for new plays). Spamalot, DRS, Piazza, Spelling Bee -- a very worthy year.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

munkustrap178
#15re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:06am

I meant of things open SO FAR, it's a very weak season. I said that knowing very well that this spring will be a major boost - I was talking about just right now.

BSoBW2
#16re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:07am

Dracula was the first show of the season...so any show from Aug 21 on...

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#17re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:12am

I'd call this quite the opposite of a weak season. Do you remember 2002? (was that the year Millie won?)

Hell, given the glowing reports coming out of All Shook Up tonight, nothing would surprise me anymore.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

munkustrap178
#18re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:12am

In my opinion, the only meritable shows of the season so far (not counting shows in previews,) are TWELVE ANGRY MEN, BROOKLYN BOY, and PACIFIC OVERTURES. I basically hated everything else.

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#19re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:16am

Brooklyn
is eligible....ONLY eligile. Doesn't have to go any farthur than that...
I think spelling bee is going to catch alot of press/hype.
What do you guys think...
"hot or not?"

Was that a fat joke?

MargoChanning
#20re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:16am

Gotcha, Munk.

I liked the three you named and enjoyed DRS. The Spring looks VERY promising, with a ton of new musicals and play revivals. Wish we had more new plays, though (Doubt and Pilowman start soon).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#21re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 12:31am

Too bad its Crudup and Goldblum.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

apdarcey
#22re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 1:19am

i think the play season, both new and revival is loads stronger than the musicals, which really excites me this year. i think the strongest of the big 4 right now appears to be play revivals.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#23re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/21/05 at 9:57am

Actually, THE FROGS was the first new musical of the year. It opened a full month prior to DRACULA.

JMT314 Profile Photo
JMT314
#24re: Tonys 2005
Posted: 2/23/05 at 12:44am

There are some good musicals out on Broadway this year. Yet, I believe that the four heavy weights are DRS, Spamalot, Spelling Bee (if they transfer) if not then Little Women, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I think Raul is going to shine in that show, he keeps getting better and better). It's going to be a close one but I think DRS is going to get the upset with both Leading Man (w/ Norbert) and Best Musical this year. But with all the hipe and stardom Spamalot could easily pull away with the best musical and leading man. It would be great to see Spelling Bee surprise everyone; I heard that show rocks. Tonys 2005 is going to be awesome!

Videos