News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The Color Purple

maybethistime
#50re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/9/06 at 7:44pm

As far as attendance record is concerned in the Tony race, consider Sara Ramirez.

FosseBoi
#51re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/9/06 at 8:01pm

I thought that attendance was taken into account when they vote(i.e. Bernedette Petters losing to Winoker for best actress a few years ago)?

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#52re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:26pm

Push da button
Push da button
You gotta push it if you want to come in.....

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#53re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:27pm

Saw it in January and loved it!

Hope you had a good time!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

musicman89 Profile Photo
musicman89
#54re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:43pm

I'm so happy over all this PURPLE love. I hope that either this or DROWSY wins Best Musical.

It is my belief that LaChanze has a good shot at winning. LuPone already has a Tony award and while LaChanze has been nominated before, she has never won. It is neck and neck between the two ladies.

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." ~ Freddie Mercury

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#55re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 2:28pm

Bernadette in reality didn't miss a lot of performances.

This seems to be the misunderstanding. I read somewhere (i know, i sound so reliable) that she missed two weeks of scheduled vacations and missed one day, may 9th (the freakin day I saw it!)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

meggsison
#56re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 2:30pm

Ahhh, I love this show so much! I saw it in February, I waited on the rush ticket line and it was INCREDIBLE! I thought LaChanze was AMAZING, and the entire cast was there too, not a person was missing.

But yeah, definitely Best Musical quality.

The course of true love never did run smooth.

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#57re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 6:46pm

Wicked Geek, Bernadette missed around 9 performances due to illness in April and May 2003. The April dates were during previews and the May dates were immediately after opening when her respiratory infection returned. She missed one day in July 2003 to be with her husband when he was having surgery and she missed another day very late in the run (May 2004) because of a foot injury she sustained during Mr. Goldstone. Other than that she took ONE week of vacation at the end of September 2003 which was when, I believe, her nephew got married.

starletta8
#58re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 9:23pm

I finally saw this show today. It was, in a word, beautiful. I was deeply moved by the music and story and had a lump in my throat at the conclusion of the story.

Great production!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#59re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 9:25pm

Oh, thanks for clearing that up! Sorry for the wrong info.

At least she has a legit illness, unless that damn "Swinger" jk

and her sister for that matter too!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

renthead333 Profile Photo
renthead333
#60re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 10:12pm

i want to see The Color Purple soooo BAD!!!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#61re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 10:46pm

I want to see it again.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

BSoBW2
#62re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 10:50pm

I want to see it for a third time soon!

I love this show.

Such an overall beautifull production!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#63re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/23/06 at 11:25pm

I loved it and went twice. I can't believe Felicia P.Fields didn't get an Outer Critic Circle Nomination.
I am shocked.
She deserves one.
I loved her in The Color Purple.

flamingo
#64re: The Color Purple
Posted: 4/24/06 at 7:06pm

Just to back up what others have said about Bernadette Peters and her absences--or not--from "Gypsy".Below is the link to what I posted on Dec 23, 2004 on this site. I have exact dates if anyone is interested.

Mr. Michael Reidel of the New York Post seemed to take on, single-handedly, the task of making the situation much worse than it really was, for no apparent reason that I can figure out. Possibly it sells papers, but at what price?

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=644120#645188

Updated On: 4/24/06 at 07:06 PM

Videos