News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent May 29-Nov 25- Page 2

Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent May 29-Nov 25

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#25re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 10:25am

Hey, I remember when she had a lame guest appearance on Boston Public!

(The role and the episode pretty much were what sucked, not her...)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Virgo
#26re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 11:38am

Good for her. She was the first top ten idol finalist ever on broadway and it's nice to see her going back to remind people who was there first. I see a lot of people who exclude her first broadway run entirely when she was there for two months.

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#27re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 12:56pm

Didn't they just get a Mimi not too long ago? I saw her, Jamie something, and she was good. She can't have been in the show more than 6 months. I wonder if they ousted her to bring in Tamyra, or if she was leaving anyway. Anyone know?

mollyml05
#28re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:04pm

I just got my tickets for Anthony and Adam's first show. Tamyra is certainly an added bonus! Can't wait!

Clayford27 Profile Photo
Clayford27
#29re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:06pm

Woah! First Anthony and Adam are returning to Rent, which I'm already freaking out about. And now Tamyra Gray (who is amazing) is playing Mimi?! God, I can't wait to see this!! :)

There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#30re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:12pm

ava, Jaime left in March after her 6 month contract ended and she chose not to renew.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#31re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:15pm

I think she's a good choice considering there have been some ho-hum Mimi's in Rent. We'll see though but I wish her all the luck in the world.

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#32re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:47pm

that's a great choice! I remember her from Idol and thought she should have won!

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#33re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:24pm

Gray, Rapp and Pascal are going to turn Rent into a sold out hit-show again.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#34re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:33pm

she's amazinlgy talented!

Becky
#35re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:37pm

double post... Updated On: 5/4/07 at 02:37 PM

Becky
#36re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:37pm

Meh. I hope she's good

I've only seen her on the Idols tour and I thought she was a class act - extremely talented and in strong voice.

Actually, I almost forgot -- when Kelly Clarson toured here a few years ago Tamyra came out and sang a duet and blew the roof off the place. I can't wait to see her tackle 'Mimi' -- I think this is a great idea.....

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#37re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:50pm

I honestly don't remember her very well, but the Idol to Broadway principle always makes me wary because while we know they can all sing, acting could be questionable. I'm glad to hear that people have high opinions of her, though. Makes me more optimistic.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/4/07 at 02:50 PM

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#38re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:55pm

She does have an amazing voice, and probably should have either won her season or came in second. Not sure on her acting abilities though.

muscle23ftl
#39re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:10pm

"Meh. I hope she's good"

"I honestly don't remember her very well"

If you don't remember her, then why do you make a negative remark?, I mean the "meh" doesn't sound very nice to me.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

luvtheEmcee
#40re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:14pm

That's why I clarified when Becky quoted me, but since you need everything spelled out to you -- "meh" to the idea, because like I said, I certainly trust that Idol finalists can sing well, but it's a singing competition, not an acting competition. So, I hope she's good.

BSoBW2
#41re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:15pm

She can't be worse than Mel B. Gray has quite a great voice and she can act. Rather, she can perform.

muscle23ftl
#42re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:21pm

Oh honey, I never said I need anything spelled out to me. But she has already BEEN on Broadway, TV and film, and proved she can act. Anyways, you will probably see her on stage and make your own judgement. It's unfair to be negative about someone's incorporation to a show, before they perform in it. See her, then judge her.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#43re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:23pm

Interesting. I think the Mimi's have been quite mediocre for a while now. Tamyra is very talented and will bring back some spice to the role (I think). I did not think I would ever spend the money to see RENT again but with her, Adam, and Anthony, I might just have to reconsider.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

luvtheEmcee
#44re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:29pm

Well, you clearly didn't get what I was saying the first time. re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent Having been on Broadway before doesn't really mean anything to me -- acting skills don't seem to be a requirement to make it to a Broadway stage anymore, but like I said, I'm open, and some stuff I've read here seems reassuring. I'm not making a judgment without seeing her -- I'm not saying I think or know that she will be bad. I'm saying that I hope she's a good actress and that I have reservations by principle. I figure you feel the need to stand up for her because she was in Bombay Dreams and all, but I'm entitled to those reservations.

Updated On: 5/4/07 at 03:29 PM

RentBoy86
#45re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:31pm

I hope the show is coming to a close. It's sort of hard to watch the show so desperate.

And I really don't think the Rapp/Pascal thing is going to last long in terms of ticket sales. I doubt many tourists know or care who they are. If they wanted sold-out they would have gone for Menzel.

luvtheEmcee
#46re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:33pm

I think you'd be surprised -- there are people who are willing to travel from around the country to see the two of them.

muscle23ftl
#47re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:42pm

I think Rentheads from all over the country will fill the Nederlander to see Rapp and Pascal. Gray's fanbase will also help a bit, Im sure.

And Im not saying that she is good because she was in Bombay Dreams, if she were in any other show and she was good, I'd say the same thing. I also get mad when people trash Frenchie Davis in Rent, since I think she was perfect for that role, yes, she was in American Idol, but I truly didn't know Davis before I saw her in Rent. The same thing about Gray. I barely knew who they were before they starred on Broadway, since I don't watch Idol.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#48re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 3:46pm

I respectfully disagree. Davis did not seem to realize that when you are on stage, you actually have to do more then stand there and sing. She looked bored.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

muscle23ftl
#49re: Tamyra Gray to Play Mimi in Rent
Posted: 5/4/07 at 4:03pm

Well, we can't agree on everything. It's ok to disagree. But we have seen her. We are not just making assumptions.

Videos