News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024

THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024

Dom P
#2THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:42am

Wonder why they didn't schedule for Jan 4,2025?, and try to get some Holiday dollars.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:42am

I offered an early postmortem of sorts in the national tour thread for this show. Lovely musical but I can’t help but feel it was a missed opportunity as well.

Should do great around the country though. 

Oh look, a bibu!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:45am

They were only ever booking out until December 30th, which rang my bell that they didn’t expect it to run into next year.

Honestly, though it seems short, 317 performances (aside from previews) isn’t actually a bad run these days considering how many flop with much less

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:46am

I actually really enjoyed this. Surprised they're closing mid-December instead of waiting a couple extra weeks for those holiday grosses, though. No doubt this will do well on the road.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bigbelterbaby
#6THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:48am

I’m happy they are playing even that long. I’d prefer a few more weeks into 2025, but I hope this drive people to buy tickets so it has fuller houses the last few months. 
The producers are smart and know they have a cast other producers would kill for, so they are smart to keep it going. This does kill the Joy Woods Gypsy rumours 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#7THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:51am

It's unfortunate that the cast will soon be out of a job, but that's show business, I guess. I'm looking forward to seeing it next weekend. I, too, think it will do well on tour, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a West End transfer so that my London friends can see it. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#8THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024

Alright let’s bring Cats in 

Fordham2015
#9THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024

bigbelterbaby said: "I’m happy they are playing even that long. I’d prefer a few more weeks into 2025, but I hope this drive people to buy tickets so it has fuller houses the last few months.
The producers are smart and know they have a cast other producers would kill for, so they are smart to keep it going. This does kill the Joy Woods Gypsy rumours
"

Joy did a good job killing those herself: "Sweaty oracle just be saying anything honey bun. Imma see yall at city center"

https://x.com/joynwoods/status/1828913094833156557

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#10THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:52am

I'm a little surprised they didn't hang on a couple more weeks but this summer did prove it's not really a tourist shows and the holiday weeks are big for the tourist & family shows.

I thought Maryann Plunkett and Dorian Harewood were brilliant in this. The rest of the show? Meh. I thought Ingrid Michaelson's individual songs were fine to listen to, but put together they all felt very same-y. I wasn't overly impressed with the other two couples either though obviously they had great voices. I am not upset I saw it though because Plunkett and Harewood were worth the price of admission and the rain effect was pretty cool.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#11THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:52am

bigbelterbaby said: "I’m happy they are playing even that long. I’d prefer a few more weeks into 2025, but I hope this drive people to buy tickets so it has fuller houses the last few months.
"

She can always leave early 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:56am

Woods would need to drop out of Ragtime and leave The Notebook in order for her to do Gypsy. That seems unlikely. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#13THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 9:56am

Not entirely shocking. Nevertheless, I think this is a beautiful, imperfect little show that will do well on the road and in regional theaters. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a more intimate production years from now garner it some much-deserved reappraisal from critics.

Updated On: 8/30/24 at 09:56 AM

pablitonizer
#14THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:03am

Such a weird closing date, the show is on life support so I'm not sure why they want to keep burning money until December lol

Any guess what's coming to the Schoenfeld in 2025?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#15THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:04am

The Armpits rumor is Buena Vista Social Club, but we will see.

Oh look, a bibu!

ElephantLoveMedley
#16THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:05am

pablitonizer said: "Any guess what's coming to the Schoenfeld in 2025?"

I've heard Buena Vista Social Club (though I'm pretty sure that rumor came from Sweaty Oracle so not sure how legit it is).

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#17THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:06am

I was also told by someone i trust very very much about Joy Woods/Gypsy so there is truth to it. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#18THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:21am

I was t the biggest fan of this show, but there were some truly great performances. Here’s hoping lots of the cast is booked for new work sooner than later.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:32am

Whatever is opening at the Schoenfeld in the spring must be starting previews in late January or February — and a major artist schedule is probably dictating that. I can’t think of another reason why Notebook would close right before Christmas.

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#20THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:32am

Yes, it's an odd choice for a closing date considering everything everyone's already mentioned, but I'm always glad when productions get a longer advanced closing date. I'm sure it's easier for the cast, crew and creatives to stomach being told they have 3 months left rather than 3 weeks. Gives them time and breathing room to deal with the new reality, then plan, accommodate, and hopefully find new work before the final performance.

OMG U Guyz
#21THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:48am

Kad said: "Woods would need to drop out of Ragtime and leave The Notebook in order forher to do Gypsy. That seems unlikely."

Encores is always flexible for performers to drop out if they get a longer term job and she could leave the notebook early esp now that they’ve announced closing. 

berniesb!tch
#22THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 10:54am

Joy was also literally telling people she was doing Gypsy at the Mattress opening party.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#23THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 11:00am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Whatever is opening at the Schoenfeld in the spring must be starting previews in late January or February — and a major artist schedule is probably dictating that. I can’t think of another reason why Notebook would close right before Christmas."

Could that be where Othello is going?

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#24THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 11:11am

I wonder if the West End Next to Normal could be occupying the Schoenfeld. That would be a good house if they aim to transfer in the Spring. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#25THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 8/30/24 at 11:18am

I don't think this will last until Dec. 15. Wishful thinking I guess. There's almost no advance for this show in September.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos