News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis - Page 7

Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis

nmlhats
#150Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 7/24/17 at 2:35pm

"

Hugh Panaro is the next Sweeney. 

"

I'm having trouble with the idea of a tenor singing Sweeney.

coreman009
#151Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/15/17 at 3:58pm

Saw Norm's final show on Sunday and oh my god, he was BRILLIANT. Seriously one of the best performances I've ever seen from anybody. Not just his amazing singing, but his acting was as intense as I've ever seen. He was so terrifying and visceral while I still rooted for him. The rest of the cast was excellent too, literally no one was less than stellar. The production was genius, we were in the twisting view seats and while it was a little tough at some points, having the actors right in your face can't be beat. I'm devastated that I didn't see this earlier because I wish I could see Norm again as Sweeney. 

thedrybandit
#152Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/15/17 at 7:52pm

coreman009 said: "Saw Norm's final show on Sunday and oh my god, he was BRILLIANT. Seriously one of the best performances I've ever seen from anybody. Not just his amazing singing, but his acting was as intense as I've ever seen. He was so terrifying and visceral while I still rooted for him. The rest of the cast was excellent too, literally no one was less than stellar. The production was genius, we were in the twisting view seats and while it was a little tough at some points, having the actors right in your face can't be beat. I'm devastated that I didn't see this earlier because I wish I could see Norm again as Sweeney. "

I was there the night before, and I totally agree. He was stellar. I've seen him as Javert (Loved him) and the Phantom (thought it was alright) but this was my favorite role of his to date. Very, very happy I got to see him once.

schubox
#153Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/15/17 at 7:58pm

Hoping the understudy is good, seeing it next weekend, between Sweeneys

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#154Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/16/17 at 11:48am

schubox said: "Hoping the understudy is good, seeing it next weekend, between Sweeneys"

Has anyone seen the gentleman who will be playing the lead during the "between" period next week?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Caye2
#155Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/16/17 at 1:19pm

Has anyone won the Sweeney Todd lottery on TodayTix?  Where are these seats located?  I am assuming they are usually located upstairs in the partial view section?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#156Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/16/17 at 1:24pm

schubox said: "Hoping the understudy is good, seeing it next weekend, between Sweeneys"

I remember reading some good stuff here about David Michael Garry — but that's hard to search. Anyone?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#157Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/16/17 at 1:40pm

LizzieCurry said: "schubox said: "Hoping the understudy is good, seeing it next weekend, between Sweeneys"

I remember reading some good stuff here about David Michael Garry — but that's hard to search. Anyone?

He's fantastic!   I saw him last April as Norm was out sick I believe.   Was really impressed - you will not be disappointed if he's filling in!"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#158Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/16/17 at 2:07pm

I'm beginning to wonder if this will run longer than the 2005 Lupone Broadway revival?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

schubox
#159Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/16/17 at 4:16pm

A Canadian in NYC said: "LizzieCurry said: "schubox said: "Hoping the understudy is good, seeing it next weekend, between Sweeneys"

He's fantastic!   I saw him last April as Norm was out sick I believe.   Was really impressed - you will not be disappointed if he's filling in!"

"

That's good to hear. I assumed he'd be good. Pretty excited to see this 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#160Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/16/17 at 4:28pm

Like a previous poster, I saw him when Norm was out sick. He was magnificent in the role.
You will not be disappointed!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#161Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 9:19pm

Okay folks, I need some advice. I'm coming to NYC in November for my annual trip, but this will only be five nights (shorter than my usual trips). I've already booked tickets to five shows and I thought I was all done. Then tonight I was playing around on the TKTS to see what's all still playing. I saw Sweeney is still playing and will still be playing when I'm in NYC. Somehow this had escaped me until now. 

I should say I've never seen Sweeney (other than the movie, which I really liked) before. I also have never been fortunate enough to see a theatrical production of any Sondheim musical before (I know, a crime). 

It sounds like it's fairly unanimous that I should see the show. I am bummed that Norm will be gone (saw him in Porgy and Bess and loved him) despite mixed reviews. Carmello is staying though, right? I can definitely move things around to see it as I have two nights where I had just planned leisurely meals.

My next question is where to sit. I'm willing to splurge for best view. My other caveat is I'm tall and I have bad knees that start aching badly if I can't stretch my legs (especially my left) at least partially once in awhile. I also noted that certain seats may be blocked by tall people in front. I don't want to block anyone's view. Based on reading every comment on this thread (I think you can tell by now that I'm a bit obsessive) and looking at the seating map, it looks like you would recommend C1 or C2. Correct? If not, what would you suggest? 

Lastly, as previously mentioned I only get to NYC once a year (it'll actually have been 21 months since my last visit, not that I'm counting - ha!). So I value my dinner reservations at my favorite NYC restaurants, too. I can def move one of them up a bit to make the show, but was wondering if it's worth it to cancel dinner and just pay the extra fee for pie and mash pre-show? I note the previous White House chef for the Obamas (oh, how I miss them in the WH) is the baker of these pre-show meals. It would be a treat to eat something by him. I was also wondering if you can just buy a small pie at intermission. 

Thanks for abiding my long post and for any helpful guidance you can offer. 

MtTemple4 Profile Photo
MtTemple4
#162Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 9:40pm

You definitely cannot buy pie at intermission. It's before the show or nothing. :) It was super tasty though, especially the truffle zest or whatever was sprinkled on top and the crust! 

I'm not sure about C1 vs C2 as I was sitting in the counters behind (that face the long tables and stage directly) but I can tell you one thing that's not apparent on the seating chart. At counters G and H you would want to be on the center "aisle" and you'd have more stretching room. We were in the bottom right of the seating chart in counter h and were surprised that there was a partition there (in other words we were blocked in by everyone else in our row). I imagine the center aisles of those counters would be a good choice for anyone looking to stretch. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#163Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 10:03pm

MtTemple4 said: "You definitely cannot buy pie at intermission. It's before the show or nothing. :) It was super tasty though, especially the truffle zest or whatever was sprinkled on top and the crust! 

I'm not sure about C1 vs C2 as I was sitting in the counters behind (that face the long tables and stage directly) but I can tell you one thing that's not apparent on the seating chart. At counters G and H you would want to be on the center "aisle" and you'd have more stretching room. We were in the bottom right of the seating chart in counter h and were surprised that there was a partition there (in other words we were blocked in by everyone else in our row). I imagine the center aisles of those counters would be a good choice for anyone looking to stretch."

Thanks. I'll wait for a few others to hopefully weigh in then I'll buy my ticket. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#164Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 10:49pm

Miles2Go2 said: "MtTemple4 said: "You definitely cannot buy pie at intermission. It's before the show or nothing. :) It was super tasty though, especially the truffle zest or whatever was sprinkled on top and the crust! 

I'm not sure about C1 vs C2 as I was sitting in the counters behind (that face the long tables and stage directly) but I can tell you one thing that's not apparent on the seating chart. At counters G and H you would want to be on the center "aisle" and you'd have more stretching room. We were in the bottom right of the seating chart in counter h and were surprised that there was a partition there (in other words we were blocked in by everyone else in our row). I imagine the center aisles of those counters would be a good choice for anyone looking to stretch."

Thanks. I'll wait for a few others to hopefully weigh in then I'll buy my ticket."

Also, of the two nights available, Hugh Panaro will be absent for one performance. Would that be a deal breaker for you for the night he's not performing? 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#165Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:07pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Miles2Go2 said: "MtTemple4 said: "You definitely cannot buy pie at intermission. It's before the show or nothing. :) It was super tasty though, especially the truffle zest or whatever was sprinkled on top and the crust! 

Thanks. I'll wait for a few others to hopefully weigh in then I'll buy my ticket."

Also, of the two nights available, Hugh Panaro will be absent for one performance. Would that be a deal breaker for you for the night he's not performing? "

In case you recommend the night Hugh's on, here's the seating chart for that night: 

https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pesptpm/10151273/1075327

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#166Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:13pm

I'm seeing this in a couple of weeks with Hugh Panaro and I'm sure he's going to be great but AAARGH I wish I could have seen Norm Lewis in this production!

HSky
#167Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:13pm

I like those back row counters. I was actually going to recommend the first two in pink (no counter in front) for the most leg room because the aisle is in front of you (and only really gets used once in Act 2) but they're taken on the seating chart you posted. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#168Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:17pm

HSky said: "I like those back row counters. I was actually going to recommend the first two in pink (no counter in front) for the most leg room because the aisle is in front of you (and only really gets used once in Act 2) but they're taken on the seating chart you posted." 

Okay, thanks. Here's the chart for the night Hugh isn't performing. Is there legroom under the tables? 

https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pesptpm/10151274/1075327

HSky
#169Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:21pm

The tables are like sitting at communal picnic tables so the amount of leg room might vary. The counters in the back are high top bar type seating. I haven't made it back since the UK cast so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I think the left side of Row H (with the wheelchair accessible and companion spot) is the only one with individual chairs, the other counter rows in the back are continuous benches. The chart is also a bit misleading, the small pink row is set a bit further back - the back area behind the bigger pink row is the handicapped access ramp and the half row is all the way over by the left wall. I'm not certain but suspect the view isn't as good as the other pink seats, even though they're coded together.

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 11:21 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#170Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:27pm

HSky said: "The tables are like sitting at communal picnic tables so the amount of leg room might vary. The counters in the back are high top bar type seating. I haven't made it back since the UK cast so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I think the left side of Row H (with the wheelchair accessible and companion spot) is the only one with individual chairs, the other counter rows in the back are continuous benches." 

Thanks - do you know anything about Hugh or his understudy? Also, I only was thinking of stage seating because I'd have better chance of the cast interacting with me. Are the views better from "pink seats", do the actors come close to pink seats? Also are there dividers underneath the tables that limit legroom? 

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 11:27 PM

HSky
#171Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:48pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Thanks - do you know anything about Hugh or his understudy? Also, I only was thinking of stage seating because I'd have better chance of the cast interacting with me. Are the views better from "pink seats", do the actors come close to pink seats? Also are there dividers underneath the tables that limit legroom?"

I haven't seen Hugh perform since a 54 Below concert a few years ago but hope to catch his Sweeney at some point. I saw Jeremy Secomb each time I caught the UK cast at the start of the run. 

I only mentioned the pink seats since the ones on the aisle might have the most room of any seat, but they're taken for both shows you posted. There's one moment that comes close to those seats (to say more would be a spoiler) but the main interaction for the back counters is the front row on the right side. Any of the front tables especially up front by the counter will have a greater deal of interaction. (And having [or not having?] certain physical attributes might as well...)

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 11:48 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#172Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:01am

HSky said: "The tables are like sitting at communal picnic tables so the amount of leg room might vary. The counters in the back are high top bar type seating. I haven't made it back since the UK cast so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I think the left side of Row H (with the wheelchair accessible and companion spot) is the only one with individual chairs, the other counter rows in the back are continuous benches. The chart is also a bit misleading, the small pink row is set a bit further back - the back area behind the bigger pink row is the handicapped access ramp and the half row is all the way over by the left wall. I'm not certain but suspect the view isn't as good as the other pink seats, even though they're coded together."

Okay, I think I've decided on the night Hugh is on. I'll likely skip the pies and mash as while I will have to move my dinner to earlier reservation I won't have to skip one of my favorite restaurants. That means I could either sit at the red A-1 (end counter and I believe high-top seating so good leg room?) or any other pink seats J-6 thru J-14 if I'm understanding that all offer good leg room. So if the above is correct, which of the red or pink seats offer better view, lower back support, and possible proximity to the cast? 

Sorry to be so needy. But the seating chart isn't very helpful and I want to nail down a seat before they start disappearing.

Humorous side note: if I'd picked the other night, I would've seen the Waitress matinee then Sweeney that night. What a double-bill! Talk about two very different food-related musicals. Lol

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 12:01 AM

HSky
#173Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:13am

A1. Definite proximity to the cast, no need to twist to see any action, and depending on how much of the blocking stayed the same throughout the cast changes, there could be a direct interaction for a brief second. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#174Sweeney Todd 2.0 - Carmello and Lewis
Posted: 8/21/17 at 12:33am

HSky said: "A1. Definite proximity to the cast, no need to twist to see any action, and depending on how much of the blocking stayed the same throughout the cast changes, there could be a direct interaction for a brief second." 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just bought my A-1 seat. (Wish it had offered me a print at home option, but only offered Will Call). I went ahead and sprung for the extra pie-charge. Lol. At least it gives me the option to finish dinner early and at least taste a pie if I choose. Do you eat at your seat? 

This will be quite the NYC trip:

- [x] Dear Evan Hansen - Wednesday night 8:00 p.m 
- [x] Sweeney Todd - Thursday night 7:30 p.m. 
- [x] Hello Dolly - Friday night 8:00 p.m. 
- [x] The Band's Visit - Saturday matinee 2:00 p.m. 
- [x] Come From Away - Saturday night 8:00 p.m. 
- [x] Waitress - Sunday matinee 2:00 p.m.

Thanks again! yeslaughheart

Videos