News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Student Identification

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#1Student Identification
Posted: 2/2/11 at 5:03pm

Hello Broadway Board.
Heading back across the pond in March and hope to take advantage of some student ticket offers. I'm studying at a music college in the UK and my Student ID Card doesn't have an expiery date on it. Now this worked last summer for Memphis/A Little Night Music rushes but I am a bit concerned that they may turn around and not accept it, especially the newer shows which will just be opening.
I also have a 16-25 Railcard, which has an expiry date and the type I have is only for students, but it doesn't say this specifically. All the London theatre's accept this (and most my normal ID) but because NYC is completely different and probably don't see these often I'm also worried they won't be accepted.

I was thinking of applying for an ISIC, but wondering if these are widely accepted at Broadway theatre's or whether I should just hope they accept the ID I already have.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ryguy7 Profile Photo
Ryguy7
#2Student Identification
Posted: 2/2/11 at 5:29pm

I used to have a student ID, which I have now lost. It never had an expiry date on it. I was never questioned about it except once - trying to see Reasons to be Pretty at the Lyceum. No one else ever made note of that fact.

In my opinion, I think you are just fine..

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2Student Identification
Posted: 2/2/11 at 5:46pm

Yup- my school ID never had a date on it, and I was always fine.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3Student Identification
Posted: 2/2/11 at 9:21pm

The first college that I went to just had the years of enrollment on it (for example mine said 2008-2010) I then switched schools to a local community college, and the ID on that does not have any year or anything on it. I have yet to have anyone question me.

You will be fine. I think, for the most part, there are shows that open their student rush for anyone, and others that have it just be for college students. So, that's why, I feel that I am never questioned.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

AEA AGMA SM
#4Student Identification
Posted: 2/2/11 at 11:10pm

I've been using my grad school ID since 2004 (it has absolutely no dates on it, either enrollment or expiration) and have never once been questioned either. You may find some box office attendant with a vendetta for some reason, but I'd be willing to bet that you won't have a problem using an ID with no dates on it.

PiraguaGuy2
#5Student Identification
Posted: 2/2/11 at 11:13pm

AEA, are you still in grad school or are you no longer a student?

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

AEA AGMA SM
#6Student Identification
Posted: 2/2/11 at 11:48pm

Sorry, I meant to mention that I graduated in 2006, and I will continue to milk that student ID for all its worth until it falls apart or I cease to look like that.

Michael9
#7Student Identification
Posted: 5/31/12 at 7:46am

Apologies to bump such an old thread.

Does anyone know if box offices accept ISIC (International Student Identity Card) cards as student ID?

Previously I've used my London University ID which worked fine but now I've only got an ISIC to use.

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#8Student Identification
Posted: 5/31/12 at 1:19pm

At Nice Work If You Can Get It, a guy in front of me had a grad student ID from 2007, and the box office witch almost didn't accept it and was being very bitchy because his ID didn't have an expiration date, so she suggested that he should bring a transcript or something that shows that he's still going to school. Nevertheless, he got his ticket. But if you're worried it might not be accepted, just bring a transcript, or report card...as they're probably called in the UK.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9Student Identification
Posted: 5/31/12 at 1:22pm

I was only questioned once. It was the Lyceum for THE VIBRATOR PLAY. The lady made me show my driver's license to check my age. Mind you, I look quite young for my age.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10Student Identification
Posted: 5/31/12 at 1:26pm

I finished graduate school two years ago. My ID was never dated by academic year--it just says my name, "student," and the name of the university. I had the same ID all four years. I've never been questioned; I'll be perfectly honest and say I still use it from time to time, and nothing has ever come up.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Videos