News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09

Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#1Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 3:47pm

Got to see Spring Awakening for the first time last night here in Louisville.

I want to start by saying that I own the OBCR and thoroughly enjoy the music, despite some of the lyrics being completely off the wall. However I've always considered the show to be way over-hyped and one of those shows ruined by the insane fans.

After last night, I completely get the hype. What a show. Loved the rock concert feel of all of the songs. When I first read about how the characters would pull out hand-held mics to sing it seemed gimmicky and kind of lame, but seeing it is something different. Also, the only real exposure I've had to the show (visually speaking) was from the Tony awards performance and just from that I didn't understand how it won the award for choreography. But, again, after seeing the show it completely makes sense. It's not the most flashy, perfectly timed, flawless choreography, but it's some of the most fitting choreography I've ever seen in a production.

We had understudies for Melchior, Ilse, and The Adult Women, which were played by Lucas A. Wells, Julie Benko, and Kate Hampton, respectively.

Without going into too many specifics, the standouts were definitely Lucas A. Wells as Melchior, Christy Altomare as Wendla, and Sarah Hunt as Martha. Lucas and Christy had great chemistry and both of their voices were top notch. Lucas reminded me of Jonathan Groff quite a bit. Especially his insane spitting, which I've heard Groff is guilty off. I felt really, really bad for the people in center of the first couple of rows because from the house right side of the 2nd row, I could see buckets of spit coming from his mouth. People were actually laughing during some serious songs because of how much was spraying when he would sing.

Julie Benko was great as Ilse, but her voice was a little to clean for me. Being so used to Lauren Pritchard on the OBCR, I really thought Ilse should have a more soulful, earthy tone to her voice. I may go back to see Steffi D (and Kyle Riabko) before it leaves on Sunday.

Now, Blake Bashoff, or maybe specifically, the character of Moritz. Is the character himself supposed to be kind of a spaz, or was that Blake's portrayal? I really enjoyed him, especially in the scene before/during/after "Don't Do Sadness". It was intense! And he's got a great voice. It really made me want to have seen John Gallagher Jr, in the part.

On a random note, the hay loft scene, and reprise of it in the 2nd act opening caught me completely off guard. I knew it was coming, but it was really uncomfortable to watch. And then when they came out and do the abridged version during the preacher's speech in Act 2, I actually thought to myself "not again!" I'm no prude, but that was just really, really uncomfortable.

On another random note, "Totally F***ed" was some of the most fun I've ever had at a musical, the energy coming off that stage filled the entire theatre (and Whitney Hall is HUGE). Amazing.

If anyone has any specific questions about the understudies, I'd be glad to fill them in, I know some people go crazy for understudies.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#2re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 3:52pm

Just to let you know, Steffi D is on vacation the remainder of the week, and Ilse will continue to be played by Julie.
Updated On: 6/5/09 at 03:52 PM

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#2re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 4:12pm

I'm jealous you got to see Lucas as Melchior! I saw Perry who was also VERY Groff like. Also, Lucas was a great Moritz. A less comical version of Blake. Which to answer your question, I think Blake makes him more of a spazz. I think he's the more comical, where Gerard's was more serious and just - a wreck. Can't comment on Gallagher.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 4:13pm

And yes, Moritz is always a bit of a spaz -- to use your words.

As much as I loved John Gallagher in the role, I actually prefer Bashoff's interpretation. Some of his choice simply work better for me -- but I think they were both amazing.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MisterSnow89 Profile Photo
MisterSnow89
#4re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 4:44pm

I saw the tour on Wednesday June 3. We also had Lucas A. Wells for Melchior but we had Krystina Alabado for Ilse. I too absolutely loved it. I was very impressed by the choreography and staging (Left Behind was just devestating). The cast was wonderful especially Wells as Melchior and Christy Altomare as Wendla. My only compliant about the show was Blake Bashoff as Moritz. I thought that he overacted like crazy and I found his voice to be very nasally and unpleasent. Aside from him however, I found everything else to be completely wonderful and I would highly recommend it.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#5re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 4:53pm

Blake Bashoff is an AMAZING moritz! my favorite!

Is Lucas the first actor to play both Melchior and Moritz?

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#6re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 5:34pm

I saw the OBC, but am looking forward to seeing the tour this Sunday in Louisville.

LeftBehind218 Profile Photo
LeftBehind218
#7re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 5:42pm

yes... he is the first i am sure when he leaves the production that will not be replaced!

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#8re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 10:37pm

Blake's whiney voice took me a while to get used to. But it makes his "EEEEEENOUGH" all the more great.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#9re: Spring Awakening - Louisville, KY 6-4-09
Posted: 6/5/09 at 11:10pm

Going to see this in Louisville tomorrow. Hope I enjoy it as much!

Videos