News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025- Page 2

STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025

EwanApollo
#25STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 4:47am

Personally I think it completely changes how one views Season 4. It suggests that a major thing viewers believe (because a character said it to another character) was actually a lie (in a believable way / because of a reason another character was forced to lie in earlier seasons). 

That was difficult to write without being spoilery. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#26STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 8:30am

EwanApollo said: "Honestly it is the loudest live performance of anything I've ever seen. Be ready to cover your ears in the first 10 minutes (it gets quieter after that)"

Surely not louder than MJ the Musical!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#27STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 10:07am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "“ Curious how much they overall the theater's vibe to suit the show.”

it’s not as if the show matches the vibe of the Phoenix either.
"

I disagree. Felt like I was in an old movie house in Hawkins or an extension of the Creel House. 

RippedMan hit the nail on the head- The Marquis is a cruise ship theatre. Which I think some shows fit nicely in there (OUAOMT, Margaritaville, On Your Feet etc.)

Updated On: 8/7/24 at 10:07 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#28STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 10:33am

“RippedMan hit the nail on the head- The Marquis is a cruise ship theatre. Which I think some shows fit nicely in there (OUAOMT, Margaritaville, On Your Feet etc.)"

Shady lol

DrewBill
#29STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 11:50am

It will be interesting to see how NY audiences respond to this show. I saw it in London back in January.  It was moderately entertaining, but ultimately kind of forgettable -- although the audience (mainly young or youngish men) really seemed to love it. The London critics also generally enjoyed it, but I kind of feel it might not be as well received by critics in the US.

There was one really good performance (Louis McCartney), and a couple of very shaky American accents. Somewhat humorously, Hawkins, Indiana seemed to be portrayed as being located in America's Deep South. The special effects -- the primary reason to see the show -- were fine. Overall, they were "bigger," but somehow not quite as clever as those in "Harry Potter." (It helps to have a passing familiarity with the 1984 movie "The Philadelphia Experiment.") And there was A LOT of plot explanation going on among audience members during intermission and after the show.

I think "Stranger Things" seems to have a very strong fan base, and like "Harry Potter," they will definitely be there for this -- but I'm not sure casual fans or a more general Broadway audience will find this show particularly compelling.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 12:01pm

There's nothing at all "British" about the show that would make an American audience react differently than a UK one. 

DrewBill
#31STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 12:54pm

Jordan Catalano said: "There's nothing at all "British" about the show that would make an American audience react differently than a UKone."

I never said that there was anything uniquely "British" about the show.  But I will say that there's a long history of shows that are well received in the UK by critics and audiences alike that just don't have the same impact or reception on Broadway.

And it's probably a much longer off-topic discussion, but it's my opinion that there are differences -- some minor, some more significant -- between West End and Broadway audiences in terms of demographics, interests, and expectations of the live theater experience. There are obviously cultural differences between the UK (as well as Europe in general) and the US, and naturally one can see this expressed in the theater.

Scott19
#32STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 2:11pm

@jordancatalano - Jordan, curious to hear your thoughts on this production. We have a couple of slots left in our December theatre trip to London. I always respect what you have to say on theatre that you've seen, so am mulling over whether to add this or not. Thanks.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 5:12pm

Scott19 said: "@jordancatalano - Jordan, curious to hear your thoughts on this production. We have a couple of slots left in our December theatre trip to London. I always respect what you have to say on theatre that you've seen, so am mulling over whether to add this or not. Thanks."

I couldn't get past the first season  but as a piece of theater this is a must see, don't miss it!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Scott19
#34STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 5:48pm

Thanks so much, @Blaxx.🙏🙏🙏🙏

TellZ
#35STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 9:52pm

For those who have seen the show in London, is there any reason to think this show is a must-see in NYC versus waiting for a potential LA/SF run? Like we're all skeptical of how Cursed Child will be on tour, so is the physical production of this show similar in that it's hard to imagine an effective touring setup?

Trying to decide (as a west coaster) if it's worth devoting a slot to for my spring trip.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#36STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/7/24 at 11:13pm

It’s a smaller show with my grounded special effects that are more adaptable for a tour then Cursed Child. Nothing really happens outside of the proscenium. 

Dolly80
#37STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/8/24 at 2:04am

This is such a bad/weird venue choice for this show. Was nothing else available? Feels like it. Unless they are going to do a Harry Potter and build a smaller auditorium inside. That’s the only way I can see this working.

EwanApollo
#38STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/8/24 at 4:42am

TellZ said: "For those who have seen the show in London, is there any reason to think this show is a must-see in NYC versus waiting for a potential LA/SF run? Like we're all skeptical of how Cursed Child will be on tour, so is the physical production of this show similar in that it's hard to imagine an effective touring setup?

Trying to decide (as a west coaster) if it's worth devoting a slot to for my spring trip.
"
---

It's difficult to say. Both shows require significant alterations to the stage. Harry Potter has 1000 lifts including one with water. Stranger Things has a double revolve with a lift in the middle and requires a very deep stage. 

I would say when it comes to something with this much tech, if you CAN see it in NY definitely try to. It is a real marvel. If you like the show I also think this genuinely is doing something new with theatre in how it extends the story/franchise that primarily exists in another medium. 

EwanApollo
#39STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/8/24 at 4:43am

WDYM about HP building a smaller auditorium inside? 

The Lyric was gutted and has fewer seats, but it's not like the shrunk the interior shell of the theatre at all. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#40STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 8/8/24 at 8:20am

Not true. What we see now at the Lyric is essentially a theater within a theater. Completely restructured a reangled to make it more intimate. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#41STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 12:42pm

Presale launches tomorrow at 11 AM for Mastercard holders.

The code is HENRY

Oh look, a bibu!

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#42STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 1:46pm

You can also sign up today as a non-MasterCard holder on their site for a pre-sale code good for the same time tomorrow.  

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#43STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 5:46pm

As someone who has very specific group ticket needs, I hate when regular tickets go on sale before group ones. Annoying already.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#44STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/12/24 at 7:23pm

jpbran said: "You can also sign up today as a non-MasterCard holder on their site for a pre-sale code good for the same time tomorrow."

"CREEL"

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#45STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:36pm

Prices are surprisingly not bad. I originally held off buying, but then I went back and got orchestra U 1, which is $94.75 for weekday previews. Also, it's not just a MasterCard presale, and anyone can buy using code CREEL.

Updated On: 9/13/24 at 12:36 PM

Codeman109
#46STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:40pm

Any seating recommendations for those that have seen this in UK? Will the overhang block views a lot? Is it better to be in the mezzanine? Thanks!

Bobster159
#47STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 12:52pm

Codeman109 said: "Any seating recommendations for those that have seen this in UK? Will the overhang block views a lot? Is it better to be in the mezzanine? Thanks!"

Hard to say, as it's a very differently shaped theater compared with London. There is quite a lot of action that takes place on a platform(s) above the stage, but thinking about the shape of the Marquis, I don't think you lose that much of the top of the proscenium from the back of the orchestra so I doubt it'll be much of a problem. I wouldn't recommend the very front, though; also some of the effects probably look better from a more central point of view (as they used layered scrims/screens).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#48STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:04pm

Yeah there’s a pivotal scene that takes place on a catwalk, but just depends how they stage it for the Marquis. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#49STRANGER THINGS to transfer to Broadway's Marquis Theatre in spring 2025
Posted: 9/13/24 at 1:54pm

If you CAN, in my opinion it's a much different (better) experience, to sit as close as you can get. Tix are a lot more expensive here than in London, so I won't be doing that again here but hopefully lottery seats will be in the front and I can try for that. 

I've also sat in the rear mezz for it and it's still great but I feel like closer is better. 

Videos