News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RENT Movie Question

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#25re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 4:43pm

I had a car from 1987 until last fall. When I heard they wanted cars from that period for the movie, I was really mad that my dad got rid of it. And because I no longer had a car.

*cough* Don't mind me, I'm stalling on going running and BWW is my enabler.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 6/24/05 at 04:43 PM

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#26re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 5:17pm

YAYA! Let's just not worry about it and just enjoy the movie! Yaaay!

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

jflynn
#27re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 5:23pm

Marquise, Wax Lion is one of the more intelligent and well-informed people on this board, you might respect his advice/tidbits of info. Also, think about it this way: 10 years (the difference between 1989 and 1999, the "end of the millenium") is merely 1% of a full millenium. At 5:59.24, aren't we pretty close to 6:00?

Em-LEE
#28re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 5:25pm

I thought that I had read somewhere that Jonathon set the musical in the late 80s, but it had some of elements of the 90s in it because he wrote it during the late 80s and early 90s.

Regarding the Thelma and Louise comment, you're right. The movie was made in 1991. 1991 is only 2 years away from 1989. I believe the cars that were made in the late 80s still resemble the cars that were made in the very early 90s. Also, as others have pointed out, the east village that is depicted in the musical isn't what the east village was like in the 90s.

I know that Wax Lion has some kind of connection with the production, but I really have to ask where he got the information that the moive is taking place in the 90s. If it is taking place in the 90s, what year or years are they setting it in? Are they setting it in the REALLY early 90s, like 1990 or 1991, or at some other time?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#29re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 5:43pm

kel rel i'm going to ignore your little comment.
why don't you ask Wax Lion if it took it's happy pill today.
it's the one with the problem. not me.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#30re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 5:51pm

and alot of you are missing the point of this thread.

i don't have a problem with the film being set in the 1980s. that was not the point of this thread.

i also don't have a problem with "the end of the millenium" line.

some people on this board either chose to read everything, or read too much into other people's posts or don't bother to read at all.

if anyone took the time out to read the first post on this thread and comprehended it in the spirit it was intended i wouldn;t have to be here defending myself with all this other uneccessary bullsh!t.

all i wanted was a discussion, a debate, not put downs, not smarmy remarks. obviously that's just too much to ask of alot of people on this board who wouldn't know how to handle an adult conversation or discussion or debate if it slapped them across the face and bit them in the @ss.

and yes, now i am upset because i should have known better from past experiences not to even start any threads on any subject around here without the smart-@sses of this board coming on here with their passive-aggressive attitudes.

f uck this i have better things to do with my life than to be constantly aggravated with the infantile behavior on this board.

Videos