News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RENT Movie Question

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#0RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:09am

i know there are about 525,600 threads on the RENT movie (for those of you who didn't get that, it was a joke...) RENT Movie Question

i just didn't want my question to be buried on page 206 of a very long thread...

anyway, we all know that the movie version of RENT is taking place in the late 1980s. I specifically remember reading that the time frame of reference is 1987-1989 but that no actual mention of the year was being made within the film.

my question is, if that's the case then some song lyrics would most definitely have to be changed and or eliminated altogether.
one obvious one would be:

"...living in America at the end of the millenium..." from "What You Own"

1987 or 1989 clearly is nowhere near the end of the millenium....

another that comes to mind is:

..."like Thelma & Louise did when they got the blues...swan doved into the courtyard of the Gracie Mews..." from "Today for You, Tomorrow for Me"

the movie "Thelma & Louise" was released in 1991.

anyone here know if any changes were made to these or other songs?

any thoughts on this from anyone here?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:12am

The Thelma and Louise discrepency is valid, but if the movie doesn't reference a specific year, I don't think people will catch it. Like I've said every time the time period discussion comes up, I think they're going to go for having it feel like a certain *period* rather than a specific year. So, if they don't say what year it is, but just give the movie a certain feel, I don't think most people are going to catch the problem with Thelma and Louise.

And the late 80's could certainly be the "end of the millennium." After all, Angels in America takes place around 1985, and part one is titled "Millennium Approaches." A millennium is a long time! That's close enough to the end!

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/24/05 at 08:12 AM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#2re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:23am

you make a valid point emcee
(i somehow felt you would be the first to respond to my post)

the reason i brought this up is 'cuz i read about some filming that was done in and around new mexico and a used car lot being used in one scene. the producers had to get a whole bunch of cars from the '80s brought over to the location for the filming of that specific scene.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#3re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:25am

The Thelma and Louise discrepency is valid, but if the movie doesn't reference a specific year, I don't think people will catch it.

Um, I don't think that's a good enough excuse. If the movie is set in the 80's, it doesn't need to reference a specific year to be anachronistic where that movie, which was released in the 90's, is concerned.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#4re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:26am

Its kind of like thaqt old Prince song 1999, didn't that come out in the 80's? Its close enough that it shouldn't matter.

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#5re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:30am

i don't remember reading this anywhere but what was the reasoning behind changing the year the story took place?

the show is a bit of a contradiction in regards to time period. it's clear the show takes place in the 1990s because of certain references in songs, etc. but then again when you think about it by that time the East Village performance art scene (Maureen) was dying, HIV patients were no longer wearing beepers to remind them to take their meds, etc....AZT was being phased out because it was doing more harm than good...

luvtheEmcee
#6re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:33am

Was it ever truly specified in the show, or is it assumed? I don't think they ever mention a year, but rather it's supposed to be a certain period In that case, there's not really a change. Every time this comes up, it's really circular, because there's not concrete mention, and there are all sorts of reasons why it could be one thing and not the other, whether they be Thelma and Louise, Roger's clothing, AZT, whatever.

Snaps
#7re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:36am

The way I see it, they're not looking to be entirely specific, but to go for a general feel of things. While we may not see text at the start reading, "Christmas Eve, 1988," we'll be able to assume a relative time period.

"Bangarang, Rufio!" --Hook

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#8re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:38am

It was never mentioned in the show...but always in the description of the show...It was always mentioned "Young Twenty-somethings, in the early nineties...etc."

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#9re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:41am

"Young Twenty-somethings, in the early nineties...etc."

yes... i clearly remember reading descriptions of the show at the time of it's premier...i even think it said something to that effect on the off-broadway poster..."

luvtheEmcee
#10re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:43am

Well, maybe they'll market the film with more ambiguity.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#11re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:46am

yes, the original NYTW production posters read:

"Jonathan Larson has created a thrilling vision of urban youth struggling to survive and love in the '90s..."

luvtheEmcee
#12re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:46am

Slight threadjack - Marquise, I've never seen those. Do you have pictures?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#13re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:51am

re: RENT Movie Question

It's a bit blurry but the line I referenced is the last line on the poster.

luvtheEmcee
#14re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:54am

ooh. Thanks!

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#15re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 8:56am

you're *VERY* welcome! re: RENT Movie Question

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#16re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 10:07am

Wax Lion would like to clear up something. Although not clearly defined, the movie version of RENT is, indeed, set in the 1990's. This thread is here because everyone keeps referencing the time frame for which the actors were given and subsequently leaked out by members of the cast. Chris changed it a few times just to give them an idea of when and where they were to be existing in their cinematic world. The references changed a lot, sometimes every other day, just as a lot of things do in the film biz.

"1987 or 1989 clearly is nowhere near the end of the millenium...."

Marquise, how is that not clearly the end of a millenium? Over the course of 1000 years, I would say that's pretty damn close. But, in defense of all those concerned, rest assured that all of the references are still there, set in the 90's as it always has been.

Love,
Wax Lion
*yawn* (it's too early for this!)

Updated On: 6/24/05 at 10:07 AM

Snaps
#17re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 10:24am

Thanks for that, Wax Lion. Here's one less thing to fret over until the movie hits theaters.

I guess you're not a morning creature, though?

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#18re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 10:28am

"Marquise, how is that not clearly the end of a millenium? Over the course of 1000 years, I would say that's pretty damn close."

Did Wax Lion just refer to himself in the first person?

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#19re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 10:33am

"Did Wax Lion just refer to himself in the first person? "

Good call, Jacob! I completely missed that. I had been impressed with the consistency of the third person.

That being said, thanks, Wax Lion. People have been going over this for months in many threads. It's nice to have it cleared up! re: RENT Movie Question

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#20re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 10:35am

Wax Lion is learning.

Love,
Wax Lion
Updated On: 6/24/05 at 10:35 AM

Snaps
#21re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 10:42am

But Millie's right; Wax Lion has been a very consistent learner.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#22re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 4:25pm

i didn't start this thread to fret or to complain.
that's not where i was coming from with this thread.
i have been reading alot about the production of this movie and since the point of reference for the movie had been given as 1987-1989 i thought there may be some changes in regards to lyrical content, etc. in the screenplay.
as early as last week i read an on line article of the production shooting in santa fe and how the producers filled a lot with used cars from the '80s, so if in fact the movie still takes place in the 1990s as "Wax Lion" is so quick to point out then why go thru all the trouble finding cars from the 1980s to fill a lot up with.

To Wax Lion - -
I could really do without your condescending tone and smarmy attitude. Your little "it's too early for all of this" remark was unneccesary, If it's too f ucking early for you then don't post. I really could care less what you have to say one way or another about this production. I can't take anyone seriously who feels the need to name themeselves after inanimate objects and then refers to themeselves in the third person. so take a flying leap.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#23re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 4:36pm

"if in fact the movie still takes place in the 1990s as "Wax Lion" is so quick to point out then why go thru all the trouble finding cars from the 1980s to fill a lot up with."

Marquise, that's a good point, but just because it's in the 90s, the cars don't have to be from the 90s. Remember, if these people are struggling artists, chances are they could not afford the new cars coming out, and most were owners of 80s models. Think about it...don't people these days own 90s models of cars (or even 80s models), even though it is now 2005? My family does.

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#24re: RENT Movie Question
Posted: 6/24/05 at 4:42pm

Marquise dear did we forget our happy pills this morning?

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

Videos