News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Nudity in Angels in America 2018

Nudity in Angels in America 2018

nickk518
#1Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/10/17 at 8:34pm

Does anyone know if the National Theatre version of Angels has a big amount of Nudity/Sexual content compared to the original version/HBO version?? Just wondering if I should be expecting to see any of Andrew Garfield’s man things on Broadway.....

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#2Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/10/17 at 8:36pm

The National Theatre Live production just showed Joe Pitt's butt, but I am not sure if that was due to filming.  

Nycat63
#3Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/10/17 at 9:41pm

TheSassySam said: "The National Theatre Live production just showed Joe Pitt's butt, but I am not sure if that was due to filming.

"

I may be mistaken but I believe this was asked on another thread and someone responded that it was not just for filming. 

Callum_brown1
#4Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/10/17 at 9:49pm

Yes, you see his backside and that's it. But from my seat on the end of the front row, I would definitely say that Russell Tovey 'gave it his all'... literally 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/10/17 at 10:57pm

Do you know if we can get a refund if we thought we got to see Andrew Garfield’s man things but are disappointed to find out we don’t? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Gizmo6
#6Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 9:09am

qolbinau said: "Do you know if we can get a refund if we thought we got to see Andrew Garfield’s man things but are disappointed to find out we don’t?"

I was at the national and it's only Pitt's character (this could change seeing as it's the only part being recast I believe) that has nudity and it felt gratuitous. There was no need. 

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#7Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 9:28am

Gizmo6 said: "qolbinau said: "Do you know if we can get a refund if we thought we got to see Andrew Garfield’s man things but are disappointed to find out we don’t?"

I was at the national and it's only Pitt's character (this could change seeing as it's the only part being recast I believe)that has nudity and it felt gratuitous. There was no need.
"

There is very much a need for it. You have a gay, Mormon character shedding his skin (the underwear) and his religion. Truly feeling and expressing the vulnerability he's hidden and fought all his life. It's a life-changing moment and honestly, it's one of the only scenes I can think of that justifies its nudity.  

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 10/11/17 at 09:28 AM

#8Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 9:42am

Callum_brown1 said: "Yes, you see his backside and that's it. But from my seat on the end of the front row, I would definitely say that Russell Tovey 'gave it his all'... literally"

What exactly does this mean?!

nasty_khakis
#9Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 9:42am

Actually, the nudity in Angels is one of the few times where nudity never feels gratuitous. We see Prior naked during his exam (usually, but not in the NT production) showing us his vulnerability and fear. When Joe strips naked for Louis, it's both to try to seduce him and make love but also he's stripping down emotionally and showing him who he is, open and honestly. He's also taking off the Mormon undergarments Louis made fun of earlier. 

Gizmo6
#10Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 9:54am

LYLS3637 said: "Gizmo6 said: "qolbinau said: "Do you know if we can get a refund if we thought we got to see Andrew Garfield’s man things but are disappointed to find out we don’t?"

I was at the national and it's only Pitt's character (this could change seeing as it's the only part being recast I believe)that has nudity and it felt gratuitous. There was no need.
"

There is very much a need for it. You have a gay, Mormon character shedding his skin (the underwear) and his religion. Truly feeling and expressing the vulnerability he's hidden and fought all his life. It's a life-changing moment and honestly, it's one of the only scenes I can think of that justifies its nudity.
"

Did you see this production live or mediated for you?

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#11Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 10:03am

Deena Jones said: "Callum_brown1 said: "Yes, you see his backside and that's it. But from my seat on the end of the front row, I would definitely say that Russell Tovey 'gave it his all'... literally"

What exactly does this mean?!

"

It obviously means that from the front row you could see his dick

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#12Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 10:15am

Very well said LYLS3637. The nudity is essential to that character, and very justified. It can be a very powerful scene.

But I also partly agree with Gizmo6 regarding the nudity in NT production. I think it was because scene work between Russell Tovey and James McArdle was not all that strong. I, for one, never got the lust aspect of Joe's character. The internal conflict he was feeling was always the dominant characteristic, even when he removed his clothes - the "shedding of the skin" was totally lost.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#13Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 10:18am

FYI (and maybe it changed during the course of the run) but, in the original production, David Marshall Grant did not take the entirety of his temple garment off.  He stripped to the waist, and as he was about to remove the rest, Mantello-as-Louis stopped him.  I saw it a second time with, I believe, Jay Goede as Joe and the same thing happened.  I've seen it done both with full nudity and, well...not fully nudity.  I don't think the scene loses or gains either way.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#14Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 11:21am

Reinforcing SonofRobbieJ's comment - Grant and Mantello both refused to do full frontal in the original Broadway production, although Kushner's original script called for both. Only Spinella got entirely nude, and then only for a few seconds while undressing for the doctor, in an entirely unerotic context. Mantello was in tighty-whities for his scene, and Grant only (as noted) went down to the waist. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#15Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 1:05pm

Well-expressed, LYLS...I don't know much about this play and as a rule do not care for nudity onstage...but you made about as compelling a case for it as possible.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Gizmo6
#16Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 10/11/17 at 1:42pm

Valentina3 said: "Very well saidLYLS3637. The nudity is essential to that character, and very justified. It can be a very powerful scene.

But I also partly agree with Gizmo6 regarding the nudity in NT production. I think it was because scene work between Russell Tovey and James McArdle was not all that strong. I, for one, never got the lust aspect of Joe's character. The internal conflict he was feeling was always the dominant characteristic, even when he removed his clothes - the "shedding of the skin" was totally lost.
"

+100

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#17Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 6/19/18 at 8:38pm

Is the nudity only in Perestroika or in both parts?

greenifyme2
#18Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 6/19/18 at 8:39pm

Wick3 said: "Is the nudity only in Perestroika or in both parts?"

Only part 2

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#19Nudity in Angels in America 2018
Posted: 6/22/18 at 8:41pm

thank you!

Videos