News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

New West End GUYS AND DOLLS- Page 5

New West End GUYS AND DOLLS

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#100New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 9/29/23 at 1:15am

IdinaBellFoster said: "This moving into the Broadway is actually a pretty brilliant idea. They could use a lot of what HERE LIES LOVE already has in place."

It's almost too convenient & unique to be realistic, but it would be a best-case scenario for HERE LIES LOVE: They invoice GUYS & DOLLS for the cost of whatever G&D retains + save some money on closing/restoration costs. (There'd still be a sizable amount of stuff HLL would have to restore & strike, but it cuts down some of it.) And that money goes back to the HLL investors....probably the only money that goes to HLL investors.

But considering how anemic the sales are for the standing section of HLL, that's not a decision the G&D producers should make lightly.

Updated On: 9/29/23 at 01:15 AM

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#101New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 9/29/23 at 2:49pm

I finally saw this and the critics have overhyped it. It was enjoyable but by no means did it change my life. The staging is nothing we haven't seen before. It's fun but it's been done elsewhere with other musicals. 

The real highlight of the evening is Marisha Wallace as Adelaide. For the first time I saw a version of this character that didn't make her into a "sexy baby" to quote Taylor Swift. She spoke like a normal person and came across as a strong women. What a revelation! When viewed through that lens I realized here is a woman who has a job, reads psychology, and supports other women. She's not an idiot by any means. She just happens to be in love with one! It may seem trite but this all blew my mind and if this transfers I would be thrilled for Marisha to transfer with it. She's an incredible talent and has crafted something new with this character -- new but entirely in line with the text.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#102New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 9/29/23 at 2:57pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Nice that Frank wrote a song about all of us staying up late to listen to this (MY TIME OF DAY).

These orchestrations & arrangements are HOT. Charlie Rosen is maybe a Top-3 best orchestrator in the biz right now –– and he gives the dead ones a run for their money too.

I don't love the Sky and Sarah at points (especially the way her voice transitions between belt & head voice). But now I'm imagining Bobby Cannavale or Chris Pine as Sky.
"

Yeah...Celinde Schoenmaker's negotiation between chest and head (if you will) is fascinating and I can imagine just listening to it, it could be jarring. But something about her characterization made it make sense on stage. And yes...total Touch of the Cannavale. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#103New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 9/29/23 at 3:18pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "Yeah...Celinde Schoenmaker's negotiation between chest and head (if you will) is fascinating and I can imagine just listening to it, it could be jarring. But something about her characterization made it make sense on stage. And yes...total Touch of the Cannavale."

Yeah, I have no doubt it's totally effective in-theater in context of the show, just doesn't play as well on an album.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#104New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 9/29/23 at 8:24pm

theatregoer3 said: "I finally saw this and the critics have overhyped it. It was enjoyable but by no means did it change my life. The staging is nothing we haven't seen before. It's fun but it's been done elsewhere with other musicals.

The real highlight of the evening is Marisha Wallace as Adelaide. For the first time I saw a version of this character that didn't make her into a "sexy baby" to quote Taylor Swift. She spoke like a normal person and came across as a strong women. What a revelation! When viewed through that lens I realized here is a woman who has a job, reads psychology, and supports other women. She's not an idiot by any means. She just happens to be in love with one! It may seem trite but this all blew my mind and if this transfers I would be thrilled for Marisha to transfer with it. She's an incredible talent and has crafted something new with this character -- new but entirely in line with the text.
"

Lesli Margherita also moved away from the bimbo characterization, and played her more as a vaudeville comedian. Shades of Fanny Brice: she did broad schtick but also added voices and impressions to her bag of tricks. It was definitely influenced by Midge Maisel energy too.

Musicaldudepeter
#105New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 9/30/23 at 5:59am

I don't agree for a second that Wallace is the first to interpret Adelaide in this way. First of all, Vivian Blaine didn't put on any 'cute' voice and she didn't come across as dumb. Her acting style was simply of the time. Julia McKenzie was devastating in the 1982 National Theatre revival - she was the heart of that production, and Faith Prince really made her mark in the 1992 Broadway revival, seeing Adelaide as something other than shticky and 'dumb' - you can hear her discuss this in all her interviews practically. She really worked hard with Nathan Lane to make that couple real and believable. Hell, Lauren Graham, was the first bass-baritone to play Adelaide. She was awful, and her choices were really out there and very few of them made sense, but she did something 'different' I guess. These same discussions occurred with Daniel Fish's Oklahoma! -- that the actors were making new ground with these characters. Many actors have paved the way before and have offered similarly new interpretations. Now, I agree that there have been many Adelaides in the past that HAVE gone the shticky/hammy route - Sophie Thompson went overboard in the 2014 Chichester production in the UK, for example, but I adored it. She was hysterical. Maybe some of you haven't seen Guys and Dolls that much before, so your own view of the characters is limited. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#106New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 10/4/23 at 3:30pm

Listening to the 2023 London cast album now. I’m very familiar with the 1992 and 1976 Broadway recordings. This one is fine but isn’t really conveying what’s special about this production.

I’m glad the cast members are pulling off the Runyon dialects. I’ve listened to several London Cast Albums where the attempts at American dialects are distracting.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#107New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 10/4/23 at 3:42pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "Listening to the 2023 London cast album now. I’m very familiar with the 1992 and 1976 Broadway recordings. This one is fine but isn’t really conveying what’s special about this production.

I’m glad the cast members are pulling off the Runyon dialects. I’ve listened to several London Cast Albums where the attempts at American dialects are distracting.
"

Several of the cast members are American. This production is so enhanced by the visuals so it's understandable if that doesn't come across on the album. But they're giving stellar performances and I am really enjoying "revisiting" the production with this album.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#108New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 10/6/23 at 5:55am

Just saw on their Instagram that the show is extending to August of next year! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dylan Smith4
#109New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 10/6/23 at 6:34pm

Since the show has extended almost a year, there will likely be a full cast change soon. Andrew Richardson is leaving next week and Daniel Mays will only be back through February. Any ideas of who we would like to see fill these roles? 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dylan Smith4
#110New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:24pm

Just saw on Marisha’s IG Story, she will be leaving the show in February! Please, if you can, go see her as Adelaide, before she leaves! Truly a remarkable leading lady! 

chrishuyen
#111New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:40pm

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm looking at getting tickets to this soon, and are there specific seating sections that people find preferable to others? I know it's environmental/in the round so each area probably has its benefits and drawbacks, but I wanted to see if there was a general consensus.

Dylan Smith4
#112New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 1/5/24 at 12:05am

I sat in the seated stalls section. In my opinion, that's the best area to watch the show if you prefer not to stand. You still feel close to the action. 

Videos