News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

New West End GUYS AND DOLLS- Page 3

New West End GUYS AND DOLLS

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#50New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 6/18/23 at 9:57am

inception said: "The MTI website lists about 100 current or upcoming productions of Guys & Dolls across the country.

Bringing it to Broadway requires more than some gimmicky production with no-names from London. Is thatreallyany better than seeing someone's nephew do it at their highschool?

According to reddit, Bryan Cranston made a statementat a showing of Wes Anderson’sAsteroid Cityat the Angelika in New York that he will soon be returning to Broadway in a musical. He wouldn't say what, but we all know the rumors.

That's the kind of star power a revival on Broadway needs.

Let the Londoners go back to their waiter jobs after their little show wraps.
"

This is one of the most bizarrely hostile messages I’ve ever read.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#51New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 6/18/23 at 10:27am

inception said: "Bringing it to Broadway requires more than some gimmicky production with no-names from London. Is thatreallyany better than seeing someone's nephew do it at their highschool?"

Cedric Neal and Marisha Wallace have made names for themselves here in the UK and also have a couple Broadway credits under their belts. They are in no way, shape or form, "no-names" at this point. I'm telling you right now, American audiences will be blown away by Cedric's Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat. They will fall crazy for him! The same thing goes for Marisha! I really hope though this production gets loads of awards because that can help boost the show's hype for a potential NYC transfer. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#52New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 6/18/23 at 12:35pm

darquegk said: "inception said: "The MTI website lists about 100 current or upcoming productions of Guys & Dolls across the country.

Bringing it to Broadway requires more than some gimmicky production with no-names from London. Is thatreallyany better than seeing someone's nephew do it at their highschool?

According to reddit, Bryan Cranston made a statementat a showing of Wes Anderson’sAsteroid Cityat the Angelika in New York that he will soon be returning to Broadway in a musical. He wouldn't say what, but we all know the rumors.

That's the kind of star power a revival on Broadway needs.

Let the Londoners go back to their waiter jobs after their little show wraps.
"

This is one of the most bizarrely hostile messages I’ve ever read.
"

Right, why did he decide to be such an ass for absolutely no reason? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#53New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 6/18/23 at 1:55pm

I mean I could list you a slew of revivals that have “gimmicks” that were successful so…

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#54New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/17/23 at 5:29am

Is this selling well?

Dylan Smith4
#55New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/17/23 at 6:29am

Broadway Flash said: "Is this selling well?"

YESS! Almost every performance between now and it’s scheduled closing in February are almost sold out! It’s a smash hit and I hope it gets a slew of awards! Fingers crossed it transfers to the West End and maybe Broadway in the future because this was probably one of the best shows I’ve seen in London!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#56New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/17/23 at 7:08am

I'm curious if someone who has seen 'Here Lies Love' (I haven't) would think this production is as innovative as I do. Anyone who has seen both can comment?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Dylan Smith4
#57New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 11:07am

Has anyone heard any further details of when the cast album will be released?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 11:15am

Hope it’s soon. Going back in a couple weeks so hoping to find out some info while I’m there - I need to have Andrew’s songs being played on repeat. :)

Dylan Smith4
#59New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 11:17am

Jordan Catalano said: "Hope it’s soon. Going back in a couple weeks so hoping to find out some info while I’m there - I need to have Andrew’s songs being played on repeat. :)"

Oh, I will be having Cedric Neal's "Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat" on repeat for me! That Gospel medley he does is just MIND BLOWING! I hope they find some way to bring this to NYC next year!!!

Jordan Catalano
#60New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 11:38am

Honestly, I don’t. Way too many transfers lately lol

Dylan Smith4
#61New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 11:43am

Jordan Catalano said: "Honestly, I don’t. Way too many transfers lately lol"

Just goes to show that London Theatre is better. I miss London so much already, but I hope to be back there in a year!

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#62New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 12:14pm

Saw this recently as part of our London theater trip, and I'll echo all the raves, particularly for Andrew Richardson as Sky and Marisha Wallace as Adelaide. 

My husband and I opted for the seats, as we'd spent the last two weeks as tourists and our feet were sore from climbing Welsh castle staircases. The view from the standing section looked amazing, but we were probably more comfortable seated.

One bit I haven't seen discussed here:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I loved "Marry the Man Today" staged with Sarah and Adelaide taking shots in a bar. As much as I love Guys and Dolls, the song has always made me cringe. With this staging, it felt like Adelaide and Sarah at least knew what they were getting into with their respective love interests.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#63New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 3:20pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Honestly, I don’t. Way too many transfers lately lol"

Just goes to show that London Theatre is better. I miss London so much already, but I hope to be back there in a year!
"

Nope.  While this and Cabaret may be exceptions to the rule: the West End cannot match Broadway for musicals.  (See, e.g., Betty Blue Eyes).

steve.sometime
#64New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 4:18pm

binau said: "I'm curious if someone who has seen 'Here Lies Love' (I haven't) would think this production is as innovative as I do. Anyone who has seen both can comment?"

I saw Here Lies Love early in preview, and I just saw Guys & Dolls last week and had a blast!

Is it as innovative? They really are very similar technically, so yes? Instead of a disco ball, G&D has the neon lights; instead of the middle stage turning around, G&D stages rise and sink. Two major differences are:

• G&D has a hundred props and set pieces that are carried on and off the moving stages, while HLL mostly uses lighting, LED screens, and costumes to indicate scene changes. It's actually a lot more orderly at HLL.
  • G&D goes the extra mile to entertain before the show, at intermission, and after the curtain call, while HLL goes the extra mile to reach more audiences. Actors occasionally show up in the mezzanine, and main characters often walk up to the front mezz and stay there for quite a while. Also, there are LED screens all over the theatre to ensure people get to see as much as possible.

In terms of transforming the theatre, G&D is a much smaller project. The theatre is already in the round, it's like a Circle in the Square with a mezzanine. So in that sense, HLL is taking a lot more creative risk.

Edit: grammar fix.

Updated On: 7/26/23 at 04:18 PM

Dylan Smith4
#65New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/24/23 at 6:13pm

Play Esq. said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Honestly, I don’t. Way too many transfers lately lol"

"

Nope. While this and Cabaret may be exceptions to the rule: the West End cannot match Broadway for musicals. (See, e.g.,Betty Blue Eyes).
"

I saw more original work in London in the past 6 weeks than on Broadway in the last few years. 

Alessio2
#66New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/26/23 at 11:47pm

So what is the consensus from everyone who has seen the show as to the best place to sit / stand?

My husband and I are buying tickets for September and are generally confused as to where to purchase our seats.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#67New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/27/23 at 2:44am

The platforms rising up and down is beyond distracting.  I don't like in the round when its in this big a setting.  I felt disconnected when their backs were facing me, or doing a scene all the way on the other corner of the square.  I liked Aspects of Love more than this.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#68New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/27/23 at 5:09am

I’m going this afternoon and I’m super excited. Will report back

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

steve.sometime
#69New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/27/23 at 5:13am

quizking101 said: "I’m going this afternoon and I’m super excited. Will report back"

A tip if you're standing: at intermission, you can grab a seat in the Hot Box and get to watch the intermission performances and first number in Act Two seated.

JasonC3
#70New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/27/23 at 7:42am

Alessio2 said: "So what is the consensus from everyone who has seen the show as to the best place to sit / stand?

My husband and I are buying tickets for September and are generally confused as to where to purchase our seats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
"

Lots of seating advice can be found if you scroll through this thread:

https://theatreboard.co.uk/thread/9143/guys-dolls-bridge-theatre?page=16

I've given you a link to the last page and suggest working backwards since many of the initial pages were speculation about the show.  You could also try starting around page 8 or 9 and working forwards.

yyys
#71New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/27/23 at 9:28am

Celinde and Andrew Richardson were both great when I saw this in March (are they still in the cast??)

Dylan Smith4
#72New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/27/23 at 10:08am

yyys said: "Celinde and Andrew Richardson were both great when I saw this in March (are they still in the cast??)"

As far as I know, yes. The only cast change was almost 2 weeks ago when Daniel Mays (who plays Nathan Detroit) left the show but will be returning in October to finish the run. 

Jordan Catalano
#73New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/27/23 at 11:07am

Yes they are both still in the show.I’m very curious how long they’ll be staying with the show and also if Andrew will do more musicals after this. I really hope so. 

Alessio2
#74New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 7/29/23 at 3:39pm

How was your experience?  Where did you sit? Any additional advice on seating?

Videos