News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?

Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?

KelliOMG Profile Photo
KelliOMG
#1Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:46am

I read that Kelli missed the matinee on 10/18. I have tickets for TKAI for the 10/25 matinee and I will probably try to get my tickets refunded if she is out. Does anyone know if she has been missing a lot of performances lately? Also, if you have a crystal ball, can you spare me the agony and just tell me if she's going to be out on 10/25?!?!

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#2Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 3:21am

That was just one performance, I think you'll be ok. I have a friend who's been going to the show A LOT and it doesn't sound like she's ever missed Kelli except for once, a while back, after the Tony's, when Kelli was noticeably sick, and fighting a pretty bad cold. Unless there's scheduled days off for her though, which you can call the box office and ask about, it's pretty impossible to say for sure, but odds are she'll be there.

ghostlight2
#3Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 3:41am

Kelli is not known for missing performances. Yes, she was out saturday evening and sunday. She works in close physical contact with children, and at this time of year it is not unusual for colds to start getting passed around backstage. I expect that was the case here, as Saturday night SEVEN featured cast members were out, not including a child or two and a couple of the ensemble.

That said, she has had saturday night, all of sunday, monday and most of today to recover, so I think you'll be fine, unless she has a scheduled absence. I can't help you with that, but I'm sure there's a website somewhere that can give you that information. Don't agonize, though, her understudy is very good, and I'm pretty sure that the box office will reschedule (not sure about refunds) if you absolutely MUST see Kelli.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#4Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 5:59am

Ghostlight.... Who were the seven case members out on Saturday please?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 8:38am

She was out for the matinee this past Sunday. I was initially quite disappointed. However, her standby, Analisa Leaming, is absolutely wonderful in the role. Her performance is as good as O'Hara's (and that says A LOT coming from me who adores Kelli O'Hara). 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Liza's Headband
#6Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 8:40am

ghostlight is incorrect and Kelli was not sick. Those absences, whether announced or not (I have no clue), were planned personal days. She was out-of-town for a family wedding. She'll be back in for the next performance. She is fine. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#7Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 9:04am

Go for the SHOW, not for the performer.  You do not want to miss this show.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#8Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 9:32am

^What he said. No matter what, the show is still incredible. Kelli was out when I saw it b/c of the flu, but Besty Morgan was great as Anna!

ghostlight2
#9Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 10:10am

"ghostlight is incorrect and Kelli was not sick. Those absences, whether announced or not (I have no clue), were planned personal days. She was out-of-town for a family wedding. She'll be back in for the next performance. She is fine. "

No reason why she can't be sick and at a wedding. Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?

"Ghostlight.... Who were the seven cast members out on Saturday please?"

Ms O'Hara, of course, (and sorry, I don't know all the names) the young prince, the English Ambassador Edward, the slave Eliza (from the Uncle Tom ballet), Topsy (from the Uncle Tom ballet), Lun Tha....aaand I'm blanking on the 7th, but I think it was actually Uncle Tom (from the Uncle Tom ballet).

I would agree with those who said before me who say the play's the thing, though. I've seen Kelli in many things, and she is excellent - but Ms Leaming (thanks for the name, bwayphreak234) is also very good. There were times I forgot she wasn't Ms O'Hara, though they do have a slightly different take on the role.

If this is your only chance to see the show, I'd recommend you see it no matter who is in or out.

There definitely exists somewhere a site (maybe on Facebook?) that lists Kelli's scheduled absences. Maybe someone here has it?

Updated On: 10/20/15 at 10:10 AM

gimlet2
#10Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 10:36am

From http://www.lct.org/shows/king-and-i/schedule/

Kelli O'Hara will not appear in the following performances:
Saturday, October 17th at 8pm.
Tuesday, December 1st at 7pm
Sunday, December 20th at 3pm

Liza's Headband
#11Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 11:33am

No reason why she can't be sick and at a wedding. 

I assure you she is not under the weather and I'd hate for unknowing visitors to this site believe that and presumptively request a refund or change their plans because of some misinformation. It is true that in addition to missing Saturday evening's performance for a wedding, she also missed Sunday's performance but it was a planned, unannounced personal day. Nothing more. 

If this is your only chance to see the show, I'd recommend you see it no matter who is in or out.

Agreed completely. 100%. 

ghostlight2
#12Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 12:08pm

"From http://www.lct.org/shows/king-and-i/schedule/ 

Kelli O'Hara will not appear in the following performances: 
Saturday, October 17th at 8pm. 
Tuesday, December 1st at 7pm 
Sunday, December 20th at 3pm "

Thanks for that link, gimlet. I knew it was out there somewhere.

"I'd hate for unknowing visitors to this site believe that and presumptively request a refund or change their plans because of some misinformation. It is true that in addition to missing Saturday evening's performance for a wedding, she also missed Sunday's performance but it was a planned, unannounced personal day."

I'd hate that too. I didn't even know it was possible to "presumptively request a refund" if you think someone might be out. I wonder why Ms O'Hara, who has been scrupulous about announcing her planned absences, made an exception for the 18th (especially since she announced her planned absence the evening before), if the next day was planned as well? 

Updated On: 10/20/15 at 12:08 PM

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#13Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 1:06pm

Thanks ghostlight!  I always enjoy hearing when understudies get to go on. 

ghostlight2
#14Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 1:23pm

You're very welcome, Marway. I love understudy shows myself. Here's a clickable link for the King and I site that gimlet kindly provided.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#15Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:18pm

The show is directed so well that it does not suffer when understudies are plugged in.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#16Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:24pm

Thanks ghostlight.  That link will at least provide the scheduled absences. 

Since you love understudy shows as well, at a recent performance of "Les Mis", Jean Valjean, Javert, Eponine, Thenardier, Mme. Thenardier and the Bishop were out.  I have a picture of the board but am having trouble posting it.  I'll try again later.  It is a sight as it is completely full with all of the ensemble switches.

UnwoundFantasies
#17Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 3:07pm

She should be there. Yes, she missed performances after the Tony awards due to the flu, but besides that all of her absences have been scheduled due to various concerts or out of town engagements. Not sure why Saturday 10/17 was scheduled but Sunday 10/18 was not, maybe transportation type issues. But I wouldn't be too worried about missing her as she's pretty consistent. Analisa is wonderful in the slight chance Kelli is absent, as well as Hoon, Ruthie and the rest of the cast! Don't miss the show though! 

Liza's Headband
#18Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 3:56pm

Not sure why Saturday 10/17 was scheduled but Sunday 10/18 was not, maybe transportation type issues.

Again, I will repeat this one final time... It was unannounced but certainly anticipated by the company as she had traveled out-of-town for the 10/17 engagement. No transportation issues, no sickness.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#19Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 5:26pm

I am glad we have that clarified. I will sleep better tonight.

UnwoundFantasies
#20Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/21/15 at 12:57am

@liza apparently she was out again tonight, is this another scheduled not announced personal day?

don't mean to sound sarcastic, genuinely curious- have a friend going tmrw night

tripelite Profile Photo
tripelite
#21Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/21/15 at 3:18am

I went to the Sunday matinee in large part to see Kelli O'Hara, knowing that she was going to be out Saturday night.  I'll admit I'm a little annoyed that Saturday was announced but Sunday wasn't if the company knew ahead of time.  That said, Analisa Leaming was amazing, and although I've seen Kelli O'Hara in numerous Broadway shows and love her, I can't imagine her being significantly better than Leaming.  She was the best Anna I've ever seen, and the show is spectacular.  Seeing Hoon Lee portray the King is a gift.

Updated On: 10/22/15 at 03:18 AM

ghostlight2
#22Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/21/15 at 1:17pm

"@liza apparently she was out again tonight, is this another scheduled not announced personal day?"

Clearly you have been misinformed. It is simply not possible that she was out yesterday. After all, Liza's Headband said she would be in. (jk. She was out last night but I'm told she came back today. Maybe it was a destination wedding).

"[Kelli's] absences, whether announced or not (I have no clue), were planned personal days. She was out-of-town for a family wedding. She'll be back in for the next performance. She is fine." 

Fwiw, ALL of Ms O'Hara's planned absences, personal or otherwise, are ALWAYS announced. It makes no sense to announce some and not others, as that would deliberately court the kind of frustration tripelite is expressing.

"I'll admit I'm a little annoyed that Saturday was announced but Sunday wasn't if the company knew ahead of time." 

Updated On: 10/21/15 at 01:17 PM

ajbway763
#23Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/21/15 at 8:25pm

y'all.... i have friends who work on this show..

Kelli was scheduled to be out Saturday night.. Sunday was not a  planned absence.. She is under the weather, was out last night, did matinee today (Almost didnt finish it) hence why she is out again tonight..

just wanted to clarify, so y'all can stop arguing! 

KelliOMG Profile Photo
KelliOMG
#24Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/22/15 at 2:33am

?? I'm starting to get nervous. As much as I'm sure Analisa Leaming is just as enjoyable and the show itself is not to be missed, I would rather get a refund and buy tickets for a different performance in the hopes that I would catch Kelli in it. She is the reason I bought tickets to the show and I would be very disappointed if I missed her in this production. Does LCT typically offer refunds or exchanges? Obviously I will keep the tickets for now and wait to see what happens on Sunday when I get to the Beaumont.

*** Keep me posted on her status as the week continues! (Fingers crossed for a quick, full recovery!) ***

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#25Is KELLI O'HARA missing a lot of performances?
Posted: 10/22/15 at 8:53am

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 10/22/15 at 08:53 AM

Videos