News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Flea Market 2008

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#25re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/18/08 at 10:30pm

Cool, thanks korenglish!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#26re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/18/08 at 10:53pm

This will be my 2nd time to the Flea Market. The first time was 2 years ago and it was such fun - to see all the stuff for sale, and to people watch.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#27re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/18/08 at 11:04pm

Actually it's more like 15 to 20 celebrities per hour. Sometimes there are unannounced surprises like last year Bobby Cannavale wasn't scheduled but was there the first hour. He told he didn't know he was coming until the day before. Another year Audra MacDonald showed up to the delight of the crowd. You can basically get whatever you want signed. Last year I had Sir Ian McKellan sign my "Lord Of the Rings" DVD and he and Lynn Redgrave signed "Gods And Monsters" which they were both Oscar nominated. F. Murray Abraham & Christine Ebersole signed "Amadeus". If you do the whole day and buy the Flea market poster, by the end the whole poster is full. Here is the BCEFA site for last year's shindig. Click on slide show for photos. Go, it's a great day.

http://www.broadwaycares.org/events/fm2007.cfm

#28re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/18/08 at 11:15pm

No problem~!

Yeah, I really couldn't remember the number of celebrities per hour. If there are special celebrities you like and want them to sign something specific, definitely bring it along with you. I definitely agree, I brought pictures for Piazza cast back when they were there, and had a couple sign a special poster for me, since it was near my birthday. And the others that I knew, but not well enough I had sign the BCEFA poster and it is pretty full. I didn't go through every line either.

I just also want to say, if you get a picture with a specific celebrity (unless this has changed) you can also get them to autograph one thing. I did this as well if I only had a couple people I wanted to meet and wanted a picture with, like Tim Curry and Laura Linney.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#29re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/19/08 at 12:22am

Can you take photos with the people at the celebrity table? Or do they just sign and you keep moving?

How does one take photos with people at the Flea Market? Do you just grab people you see walking around and ask for a photo?

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

legally_popular
#30re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/19/08 at 12:23am

^Do they do pictures at the autograph tables?

I did look at the pictures and now I'm even more excited!

#31re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/19/08 at 12:47am

If you see someone and you recognize them, I think it would be okay to ask them for a photo. Unless of course, they look busy at least be respectful.

You take photos next to the celebrity table, to the left if you are facing the table. It's on the side, during the actual signing time period and you pay separately. Sometimes the actors will leave the table to take pictures... so it's a separate thing from the table itself. I remember Raul getting up right before I got to him at the table to sign, and I was disappointed. They just sign and you keep moving. So, if you really want a picture with someone and you aren't interested in much else celebrity-wise in that hour, you can just wait for the picture taking and getting an autograph that way as well. It is chaotic at the picture area though.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#32re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/19/08 at 8:10am

Taking photos at the table is very discouraged, not that they will tackle you and take your camera, but the rule is no photos. If you want a celebrity, you request them and they will bring them to a "photo booth" where they will take a Polaroid of you together, then the celebrity will sign it and your item, or they will use your camera. This is separate fee, as not to forget, it really is a big fundraiser.

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#33re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:03am

It's my first year too -- I am SO excited

Even after reading all this, it's hard to picture it all, so I guess I won't really get it until I get there

I am just coming up for the day, but I have a ticket to THE TEMPEST matinee at CSC, so I can hang around the Flea Market in the morning at least. How late does it run?

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance

Ed_Mottershead
#34re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:51am

I went to the Flea Market from its inception in 1987 (??) to about 4 years ago. It has expanded greatly and shows no sign of stopping. Reason I finally stopped was that the crowds became so overwhelming and Shubert Alley was so jammed that I just felt it was time to hang up my hat. I don't discourage anyone from going, because it can be loads of fun and proceeds are going to a worthy cause. One of the drawbacks of getting old.

BroadwayEd

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#35re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:11am

They run the celebrity table from 11am until 4pm, changing celebrities every 50 minutes. The grand auction usually starts at about 4:30, and runs until 7pm. There are tables along Schubert Alley, and on West 44th street (they close the street off for the day). It is really a blast, and there is stuff for everyone's budget!
One of my must-gets is the annual Playbill Yearbook, for about $10.00 less than in the stores.

I wish they would post the tentative celebrity list....and auction lists...patience is not one of my virtues!!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#36re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/20/08 at 9:15am

bump (so we don't get 10 topics on the same thing!)

dlass727 Profile Photo
dlass727
#37re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:53pm

This is totally off topic but...what is the meaning of these "bump" posts? I'm kinda new at this message board.

Upcoming shows:

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#38re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:56pm

"This is totally off topic but...what is the meaning of these "bump" posts? I'm kinda new at this message board."

To bump the thread to the top of the page so everyone can find it easily.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#39re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/21/08 at 8:41am

One month 'til the Flea Market!

Yankeefan007
#40re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/21/08 at 9:00am

The flea market is always fun, but it's gotten much too big for its britches in recent years.

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#41re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/22/08 at 10:02am

Do you think Patti LuPone will be there at the celebrity tables?
That would be awesome!!!!

Updated On: 8/22/08 at 10:02 AM

broadwayjim42
#42re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/22/08 at 10:32am

I went in 2003 briefly (I had a broken wrist and a cast past my elbow so my enjoyment was seriously diminished), but loved seeing all the show tables, the autograph lines...the whole atmosphere of it.

Actually going to be down there on the 20th for Equus, but we're bussing it so unless something unfortunate happens with TOS (i.e. closing notice) that necessitates me being there the next day, I'm going to miss it again.

Brian07663NJ
#43re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/22/08 at 10:33am

The Flea Market is a great event. Unfortunately, for me, it has become way to crowded for me to enjoy it. I really suggest getting there BEFORE the time posted for the event start. As cool things are being put out on the tables the vultures are literally fighting over them. I watched people having tug of war over items and one table with DVDs - the guy was told to put the stuff down and leave. He was refused the opportunity to make his purchase and then he started asking his friends to buy his things for him. It has become way too overgrown...if you like crowds, unique Broadway items, auction and celebrity table - by all means go and have a great time!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#44re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/22/08 at 11:13am

"The Flea Market is in Shubert Alley on September 21st."

That's sooooo cool it's actually ON my birthday this year re: Flea Market 2008 Wanna take me shopping? re: Flea Market 2008

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#45re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/22/08 at 11:14am

but for every obnoxious person, there are 100 great ones!

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#46re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/23/08 at 2:53pm

P
M
U
B

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#47re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/23/08 at 6:32pm

"The flea market is always fun, but it's gotten much too big for its britches in recent years."

The one thing I never understood is why the entire 44th street isn't used. The market starts at Shubert Alley and goes down to 8th, but the top of 44th by the Nokia is closed already, why not use it and space out the tight tables in the alley.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#48re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/23/08 at 8:55pm

Gah! When are they going to start posting the celebrity table list?! The anticipation is killing me! re: Flea Market 2008

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

legally_popular
#49re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 12:43am

"Do you think Patti LuPone will be there at the celebrity tables?
That would be awesome!!!!"

Maybe they'll have a booth where you pay 10 bucks to be able to get Luponed by Patti :-P

Seriously though, I really hope they have a photo booth with Patti, Laura and Boyd... or something like that. I would love to meet those 3. They need to have at least something for Gypsy.

Videos