News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#1Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:12pm

Second time is not the charm, I guess. While I loved Spring Awakening, this show seemed just pointless. The songs were so forced on the nonexisting plot it was worse than sitting through MAMMA MIA! again.

Why not just go to a Green Day concert for half the money? I really can't think of one reason anyone would want to shell out $130 for 85 minutes of this pointless show.

The one good thing I could think of was the lighting, which was very impressive, and should at least get a Tony nomination.

OH, And they were also filming the show tonight, for press clips.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 4/9/10 at 11:12 PM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#2Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:29pm

I echo your statements, however I'm willing to give it a second chance. I saw it first preview and hope the changes that have been made are for the better.
:)

ghostlight2
#2Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:54pm

"The one good thing I could think of was the lightning, which was very impressive, and should at least get a Tony nomination. "

So the second time is not the charm, but did the lightning strike twice?

perfectliar
#3Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 12:06am

Is English your first language?

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#4Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 12:07am

I also liked it less the second time but would much rather sit through this than Mamma Mia.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#5Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 12:24am

I'd rather watch paint dry, than sit through Mamma Mia.

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#6Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 12:27am

i might be at Mamma Mia...at least i'll understand the lyrics of the songs

tourboi
#7Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 12:52am

Changes? I don't think they believe in them at American Idiot, as it seemed to me (last week) to be largely unchanged since Berkeley. If they didn't change it in all the time they had from there to Broadway, I doubt they've made many changes between the first NY preview and now.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 1:04am

What does American Idiot have to do with Spring Awakening other than a rock score and a director in common?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#9Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 1:09am

What does American Idiot have to do with Spring Awakening other than a rock score and a director in common?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5ueaC81eE
^Watch this video at around the 1:30 point.^

I would much rather watch Mamma Mia for the 3rd time. At least it's fun.

sorano9162
#10Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 1:13am

Since you only asked for 85 minutes back, are you saying there was 10 minutes that you actually liked and want to keep?

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#11Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 1:15am

Same director (Michael Mayer), Same set designer (Christine Jones), Same lighting designer (Kevin Adams), Same sound designer (Brian Ronan), Same casting director (Carrie Gardner), even the same general manager and star (John jr.). Also, most of the producers worked together on Spring.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#12Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 1:18am

Thankfully, orano9162, the show ran for just about 85-90 minutes tonight.

BwayBaby2000 Profile Photo
BwayBaby2000
#13Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 4:00am

Theaterfan... why has anyone seen Mamma Mia twice?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#14Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 4:25am

Because it's fun & I didn't pay for it.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 5:11am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5ueaC81eE
^Watch this video at around the 1:30 point.^

That's hilarious! Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

lstbutifulgrl2
#16Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 7:13am

Changes? I don't think they believe in them at American Idiot, as it seemed to me (last week) to be largely unchanged since Berkeley. If they didn't change it in all the time they had from there to Broadway, I doubt they've made many changes between the first NY preview and now.

actually, they have made changes. I was also at the first preview, and was at the matinee last Saturday. They changed pretty much the entire "Last of the American Girl" sequence, ad to me it made much more sense. Other little line changes as well. And friends who went on Wednesday said they completely re-did "Rock and Roll Girlfriend", so they have made changes.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#17Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 8:49am

I think this show will split people

I think people expecting it to be a traditional musical, a jukebox musical or any of those things maybe dissapointed.

AI is almost like an Opera in the way its constructed, but i think its brilliant. Sure the story is slim but easy to follow, the music, the passion and the production draw you in if you let it.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Gothampc
#18Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 8:52am

"Why not just go to a Green Day concert for half the money? I really can't think of one reason anyone would want to shell out $130 for 85 minutes of this pointless show."

I guess that makes you an American idiot. (Sorry, it had to be said).

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

tommigyrl5
#19Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 9:30am

I have been reading all of these posts and I'm like....

DUH!!!!!!!

This show is NOT FOR MUSICAL THEATER PEOPLE. Unless they are adventurous in spirit or the come from the Rent age and beyond. All these panties in a twist! Come on. You knew this show wasn't for you when you bought your ticket.

Pianist3912
#20Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:00am

I consider myself from the "Rent" generation of musical theatre fans, and still walked out not caring about any of those characters. How could I? It was just badly written. Liked the musical arrangements, though, as well as Tom Kitt's orchestration.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#21Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:45am

"Theaterfan... why has anyone seen Mamma Mia twice? "

I hate this type of question. why does anyone see anything? I don't like seeing people put down for their choices of what they deem as fun and a good time either. I took my Mum in London because I knew she loved Abba. Not my first choice, but hey, it was fun. I remember being on a BW chat forum for the tony's and all i saw was text on how terrible billy elliot was (the score) and they should not win a thing....blah blah blah.

I get the dislike, but silly rhetorical questions are just that.

"it's a dirty little war"

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#22Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:46am

Jeez, I'm not even from the Rent Generation, I'm way too young.

Way to generalize.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#23Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 11:02am

...it's a concert! great for arena's...leaves me cold and detached

Brick
#24Waste of my 85 minutes... AMERICAN IDIOT
Posted: 4/9/10 at 11:14am

For a rock opera, it's pretty dull and unimaginative, though.

Videos