News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends- Page 2

Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#25re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:10am

Now you on the other hand should be ashamed of yourself. FIX IT! FIX IT!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

jam_man
#26re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:12am

Sorry, jasonf, but if you have to ask if "that's their names, right?" then they don't belong on a Living Legends list. Yes, Hair is a mounumental creation, and they should be thanked a lot for it, but they have never had another show since, mostly, I believe, because they don't consider theatre their forte.

And, yes, I'm sorry I forgot about Julie Andrews and Arthur Larents. Please add them to my list.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

shines
#27re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:16am

I wanted to see if anyone would notice.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#28re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:17am

I know that's their names - I meant did I spell them right. I'm guessing people don't know how to spell Bernadette, but we're not arguing her.

Hair is as much a landmark as Oklahoma was, and I don't think we'd be debating Rodgers or Hammerstein if they were still with us.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

MargoChanning
#29re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:17am

James Rado and Gerome Ragni never had another success after Hair, but composer Galt McDermott did compose the Tony winning Best Musical Two Gentlemen of Verona, as well as the critically acclaimed (but financially unsuccessful) Human Comedy.

Nevertheless, I don't think any of the three merit consideration as one of the top ten Theatrical Legends.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 7/12/05 at 01:17 AM

Streisand24
#30re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 3:28am

I agree, Streisand is in the top 10!!!!

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#31re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 3:59am

Nathan Lane is my FAVORITE ACTOR OF ALL TIME. That being said, I think he has a while to go before he's a legend, as does Bernadette. While both of them have an abundance of success and have been a huge part of theatre history, I believe they're just not quite up there yet. Not to say they won't be, because I love them both! But I just think they have a little bit further to go.

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#32re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 6:13am

jasonf, you have composeres on your list, but the fact that you don't include Cy Coleman (More long-running than Hamlisch and MacDermott COMBINED) and Jerry Herman (Three Broadway shows that ran over 1,000 performances) puzzles me.

Here's somebody that always forgotton about in these legendary performers list: George S. Irving. The man acted in over THIRTY Broadway shows from the original OKLAHOMA in the 40s to ME AND MY GIRL in 1986.

Barbra Streisand had two Broadway shows and one of them was a flop. I'd call her an ENTERTAINMENT legend, but not a Broadway legend. Heck Lauren Bacall was in three Broadway plays, two musicals AND several special benefit shows, plus has two Tonys, but she'll always be known more for her film work than for her Broadway work.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 7/12/05 at 06:13 AM

Beergoggles
#33re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 7:09am

Songheim, Julie Andrews, Cameron Macintosh, Audra Macdonald,

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

professor Profile Photo
professor
#34re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:03am

If a living theatrical legend exists, it's Alvin Epstein. You may not have ever heard of him, but he's been a part of some of the most important theatre events of the last 50 years. He performed with Marcel Marceau back in the 50s, he played The Fool in Orson Welles' production of King Lear, played Lucky in the first American production of Waiting for Godot (with Bert Lahr and E.G. Marshall). Has acted and/or directed in dozens of important productions at the Yale Repertory Theatre and the American Repertory Theatre-- and at AGE 81, still continues to perform: currently appearing as the servant Firs in the Atlantic Theatre Co. production of The Cherry Orchard (and acting the rest of the cast off the stage)-- if you get a chance to see this man on stage, DO IT! This is what theatrical acting IS.

Let me also add to the list of legends: Directors Peter Brook, Ariane Mnouchkine, Garciela Danielle, Julie Taymor, Richard Foreman, Robert Wilson, and Ingmar Bergman (yes, he's still alive); playwrights John Guare, David Mamet, Sam Shepard and Caryl Churchill; The entire Wooster Group; and my favorite: Actor, Director, Writer, Choreographer, Historian, and (now) tony winner, BILL IRWIN

"Inside every actor there is a Tiger, a Pig, an Ass, and a Nightingale. You never know which one is going to show up." -John Michael Higgins in FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#35re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:22am

Chita Rivera
Carol Channing
Angela Lansbury
Audra McDonald
Bernadette Peters
Updated On: 7/12/05 at 09:22 AM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#36re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:31am

1. Stritch
2. Sondheim
3. Chita Rivera
4. Carol Channing
5. Ann Reinking
6. Ben Vereen
7. Young, but a legend to me: Gerard Alessandrini
8. Barbara Cook
9. Harvey Fierstein
10. Bruce Vilanch- He should be noted for making all the others famous. Now, Bruce can shine. re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Updated On: 7/12/05 at 09:31 AM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#37re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:33am

Betty Comden
Mel Brooks
Lupone

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#38re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:01am

Mel Brooks? For one hit?
This thread makes me so glad these people are still with us!

Angela Lansbury
Ben Vereen
Chita Rivera
Julie Harris
Liza Minelli
Bernadette Peters
Julie Andrews
Nathan Lane
Patti Lupone
George Hearn
Cullum
it seems strange, but I have to include Audra

Sondheim
Herman
Lloyd Weber
Schwartz
Kander
Bock
Harnick

Prince
Lapine
MacIntosh
Laurents
Strohman

Not all of my favorites, but their contributions cannot be denied, in my opinion.

I have a feeling we may need to include the Disney machine here soon!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#39re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:14am

1. Stephen Sondheim
2. Harold Prince
3. John Kander
4. Elaine Stritch
5.Chita Rivera
6. Carol Channing
7. Bernadette Peters
8. Jerry Herman
9. Tommy Tune
10. Betty Comden

kyle33nyc Profile Photo
kyle33nyc
#40re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:17am

I would argue Babs in a Broadway legend. While she did run away from the stage as soon as she could, her musical career has probably done more championing post-1960 Broadway music than any one show or other entertainer. The Broadway Album in 1984 went to number one on the charts when no one was attending theater. It also dramatically improved the visibility of Sondheim to non-Bway diehards.

I can appreciate why true Broadway fans feel that Babs has turned their backs on the medium, but in truth she is perhaps the most influential and admired "Broadway" performer that is still alive.

On a side note, I'm thrilled that a number of people are giving their props to Chita. She is a true legend that deserves more recognition. It kills me that The Visit seems less and less lilely to ever make it to NYC.

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#41re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:21am

1. Stephen Sondheim
2. Maury Yeston
3. John Kander
4. Elaine Stritch
5. Judi Dench
6. Ian McKellan
7. Edward Albee
8. Chita Rivera
9. Bernadette Peters
10. David Mamet

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#42re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:24am

LALF,
Glad you included Mamet and Yeston...

Sam Shepherd should be up there as well, I think.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#43re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:37am

No problem. I love Same Shepard. If I had a #11, it would've been him, but I wanted to keep the list to strictly 10.

BWayBoy88
#44re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 12:18pm

1. Audra McDonald
2. Bernadette Peters
3. Chita Rivera
4. Stephen Sondheim
5. Arthur Laurents
6. Elaine Stritch
7. Hal Prince
8. Julie Harris
9. Angela Lansbury
10. Carol Channing

There are so many more, some of which might deserve to go in the top 10 which I can't think of right now.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#45re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 12:43pm

I'm kinda shocked that no one has mentioned Miss Jennifer Holliday yet! This thread actually makes me really sad. So many performers and creatives who I so adored are no longer with us.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

bwayrunner22 Profile Photo
bwayrunner22
#46re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 12:54pm

Julie Andrews, Julie Andrews, and Julie Andrews

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#47re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 12:56pm

Here are some that come to mind..
no order...
Stephen Sondheim
Andrew Lloyd Webber (like him or not, he's contributed so much)
Stephen Schwartz (ditto ALW)
Patti Lupone
Bernadette Peters
Joel Grey
Chita Rivera
Carol Channing
Julie Andrew
Audra McDonald

I definitely think that in maybe 10 years that JASON ROBERT BROWN will be contributing a GREAT deal to Broadway, I already consider him a genius! lol.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#48re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:05pm

in my list... Ruthie's number 1! hehe :P

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

Gothampc
#49re: Top 10 Living Theatrical Legends
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:15pm

Shelley Winters. Even though she's known more as a movie actress, she has done 9 Broadway shows.

Kevin Kline

Estelle Parsons

Frances Sternhagen

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Videos