News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Mad Ones (previously "Samantha Brown") at 59e59- Page 3

The Mad Ones (previously "Samantha Brown") at 59e59

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#50The Mad Ones (previously
Posted: 11/22/17 at 12:19am

It felt like it was stuck in 2008 with the worst parts of 2016/2017 shoved right in.

Oh well. It still somehow managed to bring a lump to my throat (once, near the very end), but for the most part, I was pretty bewildered. They seemed to have made the book worse?

I still love the three songs I remembered from the first time around, and I enjoyed the club/EDM song more than I thought I would.

The “under 30” crowd around me was eating it up; I could hear active crying all around me at the end.

In the end, I’m still glad I went. The performers all did the best they could, and it was nice to see Emma Hunton live after enjoying her from the clips I’ve seen of the Next to Normal tour.

annang
#51The Mad Ones (previously
Posted: 11/22/17 at 12:21am

They cancelled the matinee today due to actor illness. Did the evening show happen?

VintageSnarker
#52The Mad Ones (previously
Posted: 12/10/17 at 9:41pm

AC126748 said: "Having seenSamantha Brownwhen it was done at Goodspeed in 2011, I would say there's some truth to that. The show itself just wasn't coming together in any meaningful way. And while some of the music was really good, there was plenty that wasn't memorable, and some songs didn't really seem to serve the show. Perhaps it's a case of needing an actual librettist rather than trying to do it yourself.

I'm still thinking over the show but this is basically how I felt. There are great moments and even great performances of songs. But it's not a totally cohesive whole. It's not messy enough to quickly pinpoint what the issue is. There's just something off. I felt like each song was a separate opportunity to win the audience (like in a concert) instead of building on one strong story. And even though all of the actors good performances (I disagree that Emma ran away with it, I thought Krystina was wonderful) because the beginning was weak, as good as they were at the end, it felt emotionally unearned. If this was a movie, they should re-shoot the first half. It's the strangest thing because I think they do understand their characters and they're capable of good performances.

I agree the set is terrible and puts too much pressure on the actors and the material which isn't strong enough to bear that much scrutiny. The staging/direction is also weak. Especially towards the beginning I feel like the actors either were directed to be stiff or weren't given much direction on movement because they're awkward in a way that isn't clearly motivated and that disappears towards the end of the show.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#53The Mad Ones (previously
Posted: 12/10/17 at 9:43pm

Did Ben. F ever join the show?

jbird5
#54The Mad Ones (previously
Posted: 12/11/17 at 2:41am

steven22 said: "Did Ben. F ever join the show? "

No, Jay Armstrong Johnson will finish the run.

musicalprophet Profile Photo
musicalprophet
#55The Mad Ones (previously
Posted: 12/12/17 at 8:55am

jbird5 said: "steven22 said: "Did Ben. F ever join the show? "

No, Jay Armstrong Johnson will finish the run.
"

That's a shame. Ben's "Run Away With Me" sounded really good in the video we got. I hope his voice is okay

Videos