News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

SMILE, the Musical

Expressboy69
#0SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 5:37pm

This theater group that I live near is putting on Smile and I have never heard of it except that it is about a beauty pagent and it lasted for like two weeks on broadway....anyways, I auditioned and I got the part of Tommy French! Does anyone know anything about this show? how is the music?

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#1re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 6:22pm

there's a theater by me that's doing it too, i was gonna try out but all the performances are on fridays and sa turdays in the fall and i have football games i gotta march in.... um i dont really know what its about...i'd asked a while ago i dont know who your character is either...but what i do know is its a woman who's running the pagent and her husband is like the supporter well she's remember her life as a runner up or something like that when she was 19ish... and her son and his best friend are out to make trouble and it also goes on about the lives of the contestents.

La Vie Boheme
#2re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 6:47pm

I know there's a song called "DIsneyland" from it...thats pretty much all I know.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#3re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 6:54pm

You'll find three songs on the "Unsung Musicals 1" cd. "Smile", "Disneyland" and a third one whose title I don't recall. And I think there is even another one on Unsung Musicals 2"

observer Profile Photo
observer
#4re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 7:36pm

It's a good community/ HS theatre choice because there are far more girls parts than boys, reflecting the typical talent pool.

Cute show.

Pinkgurl3166
#5re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 10:13pm

Oh our school did this show this past year! And congradulations on Tommy French! Thats such a fun role. You are the pagent choroeogher so I hope you dance well :P Its a great show and its about a beauty pagent in cali

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#6re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 10:14pm

It's pretty funny, but the music is not particularly exciting...I mean, I'm pretty sure they never even produced a CD from the show. It pretty much bombed. But Disneyland is a good/famous song from it.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Pinkgurl3166
#7re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 10:19pm

Actually the show might have done well but two of the people who put the show together got into a fight and then the show fell apart...or maybe this information is incorrect but thats just what I was told. "Disneyland..magic kingdom..disneyland..close my eyes real tight wishing hard I might wishing hard I may find my way to ..disneyland" I love that song.

joeybiltmore1
#8re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 11:13pm

Tommy French has one of the best lines in the show.

Something like:

"Ok, girls, the theme of this year's pageant is..."(takes ,long, hungover puff of cigarette)"...health and fitness."

Tommy is the jaded choreographer of the pageant. He has had some success in his career, but has now hit bottom and is choreographing low-rent pageants to make money. Although he is slovenly and tipsy, he is probably the smartest person in the show.

I love this show. I love what it says - it just has a little trouble HOW it says it. By downplaying Brenda and Bob (the pageant co-ordinators - the show's intended leads) and focusing on the girls (the REAL story here), a good director should be able to pull it off.

The score is delightful.

Break a wooden foot!

Joey

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#9re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/21/05 at 11:28pm

There is a pretty widely-circulated recording of the unreleased cast album, featuring the fantastic Jodi Benson.

amiliablair Profile Photo
amiliablair
#10re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/22/05 at 12:49am

Hey

Congradulations on your part!! That part should be a lot of fun. Like others have said, he is the pagent choreographer who always has a cigarette in his mouth...it is halerious. Our community theater did the show last summer, but I was at a voice camp so I wasn't in the show. However, I think that it is a realy fun show if done well. The music is fun and parts are pretty funny. I heard from some of the girls in the show that when the show that on broadway, the show sold out every night, and there was a big question to why it closed. This was said to be like a big broadway mystery or something. Who knows??!! They might have made that up. Anyway, I hope you have fun and congrats again!!

#11re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/22/05 at 12:52am

It sounds a tad bit homosexual.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#12re: SMILE, the Musical
Posted: 6/22/05 at 3:19am

I guess there's a reason you call yourself "Captain_Obvious"

It's really a cute show. The music is fantastic. Even though you don't REALLY care about these high school girls, the music's fun, and it's ideal for high schools. A total of like 5 guys are needed in the whole production, only one of whom need to sing.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Videos