News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RIP Dean Jones

Geoff Profile Photo
Geoff
#25RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/3/15 at 2:35pm

Thanks! 

Alessio2
#26RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/3/15 at 3:43pm

Does anyone know the story of him leaving so early into the run of Company?

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#27RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/3/15 at 3:53pm

The canonical story is that Dean Jones was going through his own difficult divorce in the run-up to the show opening on Broadway, and his performance as Bobby was suffering as a result. Jones went to Hal Prince to ask be let out of his commitment. Prince is said to have told Jones that if he gave him the opening night performance he knew he was capable of, Prince would replace him soon thereafter. It appears both men seemed to have kept their word.

Updated On: 9/3/15 at 03:53 PM

The Glenbuck Laird Profile Photo
The Glenbuck Laird
#28RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/3/15 at 4:10pm

Classic cover drive

Dollypop
#29RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/3/15 at 7:45pm

Sad to hear this news.  I recall seeing him at the old Westbury Music Fair in 1776.  We met him afterwards and he was a true gentleman.

As Shakepeare wrote:  "May flights of angels sing him to his rest."

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SundayInThePark2 Profile Photo
SundayInThePark2
#30RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/3/15 at 7:49pm

I was sort of depressed for a good portion of the afternoon yesterday once I heard about his passing. I remember him fondly in Disney movies like, The Love Bug, That Darn Cat, and The Ugly Dachshund (which just so happens to be one of my favorites)

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#31RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/4/15 at 4:03am

I thought he left because he was uncomfortable with the homosexual overtones of the character and he had some sort of breakdown. Maybe I have gotten so old that I am thinking of someone else.

A adored him as a kid too. He was right up their with Robert Conrad, Bill Bixby and John Davidson.

Islander_fan
#32RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/4/15 at 8:46am

SmoothLover said: "I thought he left because he was uncomfortable with the homosexual overtones of the character and he had some sort of breakdown. Maybe I have gotten so old that I am thinking of someone else.

I am not sure that this is it. Company, like any great work of art, has the ability to derive intense conversation around it. I have felt that, among fans, there were always so many theories as to why Bobby was alone. I don't think that the show had homosexual overtones, but that that was one theory that came into play. Another one was indecisiveness on the part of Bobby wanting to be with someone. 

A adored him as a kid too. He was right up their with Robert Conrad, Bill Bixby and John Davidson.

"

KathyNYC2
#33RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/4/15 at 10:53am

Also I believe it was not only his divorce, but he had two kids in Calif and he didn't want to be in NY at the time when they needed him. So yes, he was promised if he opened the show and did the cast album, then he could go. I think he was very grateful for the early release.. so of course gave it his all when he was here.  I also remember reading he fought depression for much of his early life so this was probably a good choice for all.  

Updated On: 9/4/15 at 10:53 AM

FindingNamo
#34RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/4/15 at 1:12pm

It was the soulless, godless, decadence of the business. I put those quotes of his in here because I wanted to mock them (because, you know, he wasn't what you'd call a supporter of any progressive agenda).  Then I binge watched "Mr Robot" and thought, "This is what Dean Jones meant."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

skies Profile Photo
skies
#35RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/4/15 at 1:39pm

People including one of the producers read Bobby as a veiled gay character, though Sondheim claims he has no idea what they are talking about.

Apparently Dean Jones was going through a divorce at the time of the original show and was a mess, I think his "replacement" is the only time someone who didn't open the show got an exemption to be eligible to be nominated for the Tony.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#36RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/4/15 at 1:58pm

Dean Jones was a troubled guy and I couldn't care one bit about his politics. He left behind some amazing performances and made many people happy during his time on earth.

Rest in Peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlOvr3nPiZQ

This clip made me joy cry.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/5/15 at 12:10pm

Not sure if I saw the original with Jones or L err. I believe it was the latter though. He was outstanding as was the rest of the cast.

Poster Emeritus

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#38RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/5/15 at 10:13pm

I read in one of his obituaries that he became a Christian some where along the way and that Company was hard for him to do because he felt it had such a bleak outlook on marriage. And of course I am paraphrasing.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#39RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/5/15 at 10:16pm

Do you know what his favorite dish is? It was in the paper. Beef!

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#40RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/5/15 at 10:18pm

I believe the story is that he did not anticipate the rigors of being the lead in a musical 8 shows a week. That, coupled with a very difficult divorce, prompted him to leave the show.

If he was putting as much into each performance as he did in the recording of Being Alive, I can certainly understand the strain.

He had a hard time of it, and later found solace in being a Christian. Not the route most of us have taken, but that was his business. As far as I know he never made any anti-gay or bigoted statements.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#41RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/5/15 at 10:59pm

This review roundup has some press footage from Into the Light (just what everyone wanted, I'm sure.)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#42RIP Dean Jones
Posted: 9/5/15 at 11:15pm

If Kirk Cameron were to turn that into a movie I would watch it on VOD. 

Videos