News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Posterity @ Atlantic Theater

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#1Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 2/26/15 at 6:09pm

Doug Wright's new play. Anyone go yet?

JackiesBroJoe Profile Photo
JackiesBroJoe
#2Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 2/26/15 at 6:17pm

I went to the first preview. I can't recommend it enough. It's brilliant. I think it will be an enormous hit. Beautiful, funny, thought provoking, terrific performances & design.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#2Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 2/26/15 at 7:14pm

Great! What is the running time?

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#3Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/4/15 at 11:32am

I saw the show last night and couldn't say I would recommend it. I definitely disagree with the above poster because there is no way this show will be "an enormous hit."

The acting is generally very good (John Noble is the obvious standout) but the problem lies in the story. It's not very compelling and in the end I don't really get what the playwright is trying to say. The set is serviceable but the transition that happens in the middle of Act 2 should have happened during the intermission.

It clocks in 2 hours 15 mins and definitely needs to be trimmed down by at least 15 mins. And just as a warning to those interested, there is a fair amount of female and male nudity.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

After Eight
#4Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/4/15 at 11:54am

Dreadfully dull. The first scene has a smattering of laughs, and the supporting players lend a bit of animation to the proceedings. But the minute the character of Ibsen appears on stage, in both acts, the play grinds to a halt. How can a great writer be so boring as a stage character? His conversations with the sculptor are just yakety-yakety-yak for what seemed an eternity.

The actors were all good, but the play is a protracted bore.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#5Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/6/15 at 12:04pm

Anyone else catch this? I can't decide.

dave1606
#6Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/6/15 at 12:16pm

I caught this early on and have to agree. John Noble and Hamish are such great actors they both deserve better than this.

The production is well designed (LOVE the set and the final tableau is stunning), but the play lets the actors and the audience down. There is nothing interesting to learn about either Ibsen or the sculptor here. The subplots with Dale Souls and Mickey Theis are just plain annoying and go nowhere.

Unfortunately, the whole thing while very professional, is just pain mediocre.

ClydeBarrow
#7Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/6/15 at 5:26pm

Greased, I would highly recommend you choose something else. VERITE at LCT3 is amazing and all the tickets are $20. Much better choice.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#8Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/6/15 at 11:51pm

Clyde - I took your advice and saw The Lion last week and wasn't disappointed, so I'll go with Verite next week instead of this. Thanks!

curtainsup101
#9Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/16/15 at 2:54pm

Bump! Has anyone seen or heard anything about this recently? Is it worth seeing?

Also, to anyone who has seen this: how graphic is the nudity?

Updated On: 3/16/15 at 02:54 PM

LarryD2
#10Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/16/15 at 2:56pm

It opened last night. Isherwood wrote a rave for John Noble but was cool towards the play itself.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/theater/review-doug-wrights-posterity-a-portrait-of-ibsen.html

ClydeBarrow
#11Posterity @ Atlantic Theater
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:54pm

"Also, to anyone who has seen this: how graphic is the nudity?"

It's not that the nudity is graphic because it's not sexual in nature. There is a lot of boobs and vajayjay on the female side and flashes of D and a long stretch of butt.

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater

Videos