News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

NYC October 25-30

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#0NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 11:34am

Wow. Amazing. Awesome. I am totally speechless. First of all I am glad to be able to share all the following with all of you who will understand and appreciate it.

OK, so... where to start. I'll start with some general observations and then go in chronological order.

The City has never been cleaner, smelled better or been more friendly. It was a joy to see and expierience. There was an energy and a fabulous feeling about everything. The weather was perfect. A bit windy at times, but still picture perfect. Not to cold, not to hot, with lots of sunshine the whole trip.

THE WEDDING SINGER 2 PM 10/25/06: I am even *more* in love with this show now having gotten to see it in person. The energy and the audience response was palpable. I had the center seat in the front row of the first balcony. How cool is that?! I simply have no words to really put into perspective how incredible this show is... so I'll just lay down the basics.

Stephen Lynch is just awesome. Simply incredible in the role of Robbie Hart. Words can't describe his brilliance, timing and voice. Laura Benanti was awesome. It was great to see her healthy and in fine form. Her chemistry with Stephen was lovely Constantine Maroulis is where he belongs: on Broadway. He has an amazing presence, is perfect in the role and obviously loves doing theatre. Kevin Cahoon is simply great. To Kevin: "Fun fun fun!" *lol*

6 out of 5

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 8 PM 10/25/06: *sniff* What I am about to write is very hard. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love this show and how many times I have seen it and how much it means to me. I'd never make things up or... yeah... You get the picture. Aside from Howard McGillan as the Phantom, Patricia Phillips as Carlotta, Roland Rusiner as Piangi, and George Lee Andrews, the entire cast needs to get axed. They were phoning in their performances. I was sorely upset with Jennifer Hope Wills as Christine. She looked pretty in the costumes and physically acted the role, but vocally- *pshaw* I have NEVER heard such terrible phrasing and gasping and pitch problems as she had. Heather McFadden as Meg was a disgrace to the role. David Cryer played off of George as best he could, but still fell short... The audience was rude with talking, unwrapping things and picture taking?! It was hot in the theatre and ... ugh... Not the best time at POTO

3 out of 5

A CHORUS LINE 8PM 10/26/06: It is certainly a joy to have this show back and in the hands of this amazing cast The energy in the theatre was palpable. Such anticipation and excitement. And they did NOT disappoint.

The one I'd been waiting for. Charlotte d'Amboise as Cassie. I had to block out things I'd heard and I tried to forget she was Charlotte and this was Cassie to be fair and not get so hyped up and be biased... She was more than everything I expected. She was attentive, always focused on her fellow line mates as they spoke or sang their stories. Her reactions were wonderful. She gave Shiela her water bottle. She laughed at Mike. Her Cassie was caring. You could feel her concern for Paul in "the" scene. She was eager to move on. Her dancing was amazing. Spot on. Fluid. She WAS Cassie. She and Michael Berresse had great chemistry and their final gaze, their final time on stage together, gave you hope that they'd work things out.

Dierdra Goodwin as Shiela: perfect match of actress and part.

Mara Davi, Natalie Cortez and Paul McGill are all standouts and are headed up into the rafters with their careers, I can feel it. Tyler Hayes is an amazing dancer. Larry is a good role, and he is great in it. He deserves to step up- perhaps into Mark or Mike later on?

This cast cares about the show and were spot on. No one stood out and everyone loved what they were doing.

6 out of 5

LES MISERABLES 8PM 10/27/06: Still head and shoulders above and beyond any other show ever. I am glad Cam brought her home

Celia Keenan-Bolger as Eponine was by far the best in the role in a long time. What a voice. I love the way she held Marius' coat.

Aaron Lazar as Enjolras was perfection. He is amazing in any role he has ever done, but he as Enjolras was VERY special. The looks, the voice, the acting... Seeing him hoist that flag and then drapped over it when he is killed... *sniff* I'd follow him anywhere

Alex Gemingnani as Valjean. He was as amazing as you'd think. What more can I say? To Alex: "A pen, a pen! My kingdom for a pen!"

Gary Beach as Thenardier. The man is amazing. He is one of the best performers ever. To my beloved Chrysler Building: "Just direct your feet to the OTHER side of the street!"

Jenny Galloway as Mme T was as amazing as she has always been in the role. Ali Ewoldt stood out as Cosette. Not too sure about her "new" white dress for IN MY LIFE, though JK *lol*

7 out of 5

Nathan Lane in BUTLEY. 8PM 10/28/06 AMAZING. He is riviting. He is not Max or Oscar or Timon... He is Ben Butley and he is acting the hell out of this role. I am sooo proud of him. He has proven himself as a serious actor who is dedicated and loves his craft. He never leaves the stage in the 2 hours the show runs. The other characters come in and go out of his office. He NEVER leaves. Never once did you not believe him. When he cried, I cried. To my Bialy: the world- and Broadway- are both better places because you are in it.

3rd Annual WICKED Day, 10/29/06. I wish that all the rude, cruel nay-sayers could have been there to see everyone and feel the excitement. I met some e-mail friends there. I made a Glinda wand, got lots of autographs and had fun playing all the games. No other show could pull off a day like this except PHANTOM or SPAMLOT. Thank you to Noah Rivera and a special shout out to the young girls who were standing beside me during the sing along who said I had a "pretty" voice What a day, huh? Congrats to sixteen year-old Sarah Krauss of Hopewell, NJ the winner of the BE WICKED singing contest.

I loved my trip. I am glad to back, however

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

eujenni Profile Photo
eujenni
#1re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 2:01pm

7 out of 5 for Butley! Wow! I'll be seeing Butley next weekend.
Get any autographs after the show? Did you see Nathan exiting the theater?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 2:29pm

Great reviews! I'm glad to hear you liked Aaron Lazar.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 2:35pm

So happy you had a great trip. Great reviews! Just wondering, what did you think of Norm Lewis as Javert?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 2:38pm

Thanks for the positive energy you bring to the board. Its clear you love theatre dearly! Glad your trip was so lovely!

EponineAmneris
#5re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 3:09pm

Thank you Michael Bennett re: NYC October 25-30 *blush*

little_sally- Norm as Javert was amazing re: NYC October 25-30 His STARS gave me chills. He gave the character nuiances and made him softer- more human- while maintaining the edge Javert needs.

And at the stage door, he was the sweetest. Such a nice, attentive person to and with his fans.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 10/31/06 at 03:09 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#6re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 3:38pm

Aww, I'm so glad you enjoyed Norm! He's one of my favorites, and I'm so glad to hear when people enjoy his performances. I can't wait to see him in Les Mis!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

EponineAmneris
#7re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 4:04pm

Oh you won't be disapointed, little_sally re: NYC October 25-30 LOVE your icon, BTW. We make a couple re: NYC October 25-30

Updated On: 10/31/06 at 04:04 PM

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#8re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 4:24pm

Thanks for the reviews. I loved Les Mis too, especially Celia!

EponineAmneris
#9re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 8:52pm

eujenni- Nathan comes out the front of the theatre and he does it VERY quickly.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#10re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 9:00pm

great reviews!! but how was DAPHNE??

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

bdwybug55
#11re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 9:16pm

Great reviews...thanks for posting. It sounded as if you had a great time. I'm glad you liked Norm Lewis. I thought he was a very different Javert and I LOVED his portrayal. I, on the other hand, was not a fan of Gemingnani's Valjean. I have not seen "Chorus Line" yet so I am very jealous. I am hoping to go sometime in January. I'm sorry that you didn't like Ms. Wills in "Phantom". I thought she was one of the best Christines I had ever seen...so real and honest and not just standing there worrying about her voice. It was the first time since seeing Lisa Vroman (Goddess) that I actually cared about Christine. What a great trip you had!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 10/31/06 at 9:17pm

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip, EponineAmneris!

Were they any understudies on in ACL? Also, I am eager to hear about Daphne in LES MIS.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

EponineAmneris
#13re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 11/1/06 at 12:22am

I saw no understudies at all in any performance re: NYC October 25-30 I was lucky.

Ummm... I usually do not want to speak negatively even if I think/feel it, but since it was asked: Daphne as Fantine. "I can't wait for Fantine to die. She's terrrrrible!" said a lady behind me. "Good God, that woman can't sing at all! Why is she up there?" A man behind me and to the left. I felt the same. She was not good. At all. Period. I had reservations from the get go but let tham all go as the lights went down, willing to give her a chance. But no. No. She was bad. Her voice is just not suited for the role. She just does not fit in and she is so very different from any other Fantine ever. I've seen/heard just about all of them re: NYC October 25-30 Sorry re: NYC October 25-30 But she was a sweetheart at the stagedoor re: NYC October 25-30 I hear tell she is leaving LES MIZ to do another show.

"As for our star, Ms Jennifer Hope Wills..." re: NYC October 25-30 ... Perhaps I caught her on a bad day? *lol* And one must remember I have been singing and in love with this show since I was a young child. I am *VERY* hard on the ladies who play Christine. Ah, yes- Ms Vroman. Goddess indeed, bdwybug55 re: NYC October 25-30

Updated On: 11/1/06 at 12:22 AM

bdwybug55
#14re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 11/1/06 at 12:40am

Ms. Vroman...that lady can do no wrong. A little OT...but did you get to see her in "Most Happy Fella"? I think her voice has just gotten more glorious with each passing year.

Back OT: "Chorus Line" is one of my favorites and I am desperate to see it. Would you say that it still holds the same "punch" (for lack of a better word...my brain is dead...I am usually not up this late *lol*) as it did years ago or is some of that lost with today's modern understandings?

EponineAmneris
#15re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 11/1/06 at 12:48am

bdwybug55: ACL still packs a *huge* punch today. The themes are still VERY relevant to Broadway as it is now. The cast is great as a whole and individually. They themselves went through lots of what they portray as did their predecessors. The emotions are still real and universal and the same. At the very least, you can see how far we've/they've/Broadway has come while still seeing how things are still the same... Savvy? re: NYC October 25-30

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 11/1/06 at 6:56am

Wow, EponineAmneris. That is the most polite review about Daphne's performance I've read on these boards. Well said.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Blanche Profile Photo
Blanche
#17re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 11/12/06 at 2:06am

Just a note about Phantom and Jennifer Hope Wills. If you actually saw the show on 10/25/06, Jennifer was not on that day, at least according to her calendar. Jennifer has all her perfomances clearly indicated on her website and she was not scheduled to perform on that day. Are you sure you didn't see Rebecca Pitcher?

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#18re: NYC October 25-30
Posted: 11/12/06 at 2:29am

Aww, hun. I know how hard it is for you to say that about Phantom... it took me a while (lets say a while... two weeks to realize and a week to admit) to do the same for RENT, so you win.

How was Daphne Rubin-Vega in Les Miz?

I'm extraordinarily glad you liked Butley. I refuse to believe people dislike the show because they think that Nathan Lane is going to start singing "I Want to Be a Producer" (HE DOESN'T EVEN SING THAT SONG!).

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

Videos